It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One thing I like about Millennials

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 10:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: savagediver
a reply to: Groot

Yes Groot. That was how I was raised too. Be thankful for what you do have and keep plugging away. I would give some advice to the younger ones here. Dont spend more than you make , hard to do sometimes but it really is that simple. If you can stay with Mom and Dad for a few years and get a job do so , but save your money , put it in savings or and IRA or a 401B and at least save the amount the company will match as it is free money and will compound over the years. If you can not live with your folks rent as cheap a place as you can so you can save. Get a used car that is in good shape. Have a cheap phone instead of spending $1200.00. Be picky about who you marry. Forget about keeping up with the Jone's. The fact is most people that are well off when they retire did PLAN , they did SAVE , they did do WITHOUT so they could take care of themselves. Wish I would have done all that in my 20's instead of forties.

Excellent advice to all.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 10:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: BubbaJoe

originally posted by: Groot

originally posted by: toysforadults

That's the culture I think people want to change. That's actually precisely the point.

In other words what you are proud of the next generation wants to change. Can't blame them really I would like to see the entire planet relax a little bit and live happier more fulfilling lives.

Then , if we relax a little, production goes down. Corp makes less money.

You know what the best thing to do?

Go buy a piece of land, build a place to sleep in on it. Farm it.

Become self-sufficient .

Work for yourself , rather than work for someone else. They have done that for thousands of years. It's only the last few hundred years that we had to rely on someone else to provide for us.

Unfortunately, there are many places in the USA that you cannot do this. State, County, and Local government will fight you every step of the way. They want their fees.

Then find a place that doesn't? Is that so hard?

Sounds like an excuse that my kids would have told me.

" but , dad, they said I couldn't do that "

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 10:42 PM
link   

That's the culture I think people want to change. That's actually precisely the point.

In other words what you are proud of the next generation wants to change. Can't blame them really I would like to see the entire planet relax a little bit and live happier more fulfilling lives.

Then , if we relax a little, production goes down. Corp makes less money.

You know what the best thing to do?

Go buy a piece of land, build a place to sleep in on it. Farm it.

Become self-sufficient .

Work for yourself , rather than work for someone else. They have done that for thousands of years. It's only the last few hundred years that we had to rely on someone else to provide for us.

Unfortunately, there are many places in the USA that you cannot do this. State, County, and Local government will fight you every step of the way. They want their fees.

Then find a place that doesn't? Is that so hard?

Sounds like an excuse that my kids would have told me.

" but , dad, they said I couldn't do that "

I understand what you are asking, but yes it is hard, I have been doing some serious investigating. Not all of us are willing to relocate far away as we are looking after family members.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 10:42 PM
link   
All in all, the younger generation needs to suck it up like all the rest of us did. Prove yourself and earn it.

Suck it up buttercup, because it's a long ride, and it's over before you know it.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 10:44 PM
link   

All in all, the younger generation needs to suck it up like all the rest of us did. Prove yourself and earn it.

Suck it up buttercup, because it's a long ride, and it's over before you know it.

Most of them do, see my post above about my kids, media highlights the negatives.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Normally I would agree with you.

Seems like the pay and benefits keep getting worse, and the profits keep going up.

When many baby boomers were cutting their teeth, there was a stronger union presence to keep employers "honest".

Now with right to work, the game has changed and it NOT in the workers favor.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: BubbaJoe

I understand what you are asking, but yes it is hard, I have been doing some serious investigating. Not all of us are willing to relocate far away as we are looking after family members.

I understand that as I am , myself located 600 miles from my family to improve financial situations . Sacrifices and choices have to be made.

Just saying, if you can, there are options out there to become self reliant.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 10:49 PM
link   

a reply to: lordcomac

They want more or they want what you had?

Millennials make 20% less

With a median household income of $40,581, millennials earn 20 percent less than boomers did at the same stage of life, despite being better educated, according to a new analysis of Federal Reserve data by the advocacy group Young Invincibles.

When I am not biased and looking at this through a narrow lens reality seems to point at something much different happening.

What I had?
A sense of worth, maybe?

At the time of writing, I'm 30. I'm grouped in with these idiots.
My first house is for sale, right now, some seven years after I bought it. I was making 32000 a year when I bought it.
Wasn't born with a spoon up my ass either, we grew up poor and I paid my way though school working in a retail box store warehouse.

Learn to work for your dreams, kids. My taxes pay for your welfare now- my father's taxes won't much longer. Baby boomers are out of the picture any day now.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 10:51 PM
link   

I understand that as I am , myself located 600 miles from my family to improve financial situations . Sacrifices and choices have to be made.

I agree, took care of my 95 YO grandfather for the last 6 months of his life, am now looking after my 77 YO mother, how do I do that from 600 miles away?

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 10:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Normally I would agree with you.

Seems like the pay and benefits keep getting worse, and the profits keep going up.

When many baby boomers were cutting their teeth, there was a stronger union presence to keep employers "honest".

Now with right to work, the game has changed and it NOT in the workers favor.

I can agree with you. 17 years ago , I was in a RTW state, and when I transferred to where I am now, I got an increase of 10% in pay for doing the same thing because of a union state. we have just become a RTW state, so I am waiting to see what happens. Hope it holds out for another 5 years till I retire.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 10:58 PM
link   

The corps don't give a hoot about your personal "issues".

This is the reason for FMLA, because the businesses and corps see us as cattle to be monetized, and if you have a family "issue" it had better be after work hours. Or they will fire you.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 11:00 PM
link   

I agree, took care of my 95 YO grandfather for the last 6 months of his life, am now looking after my 77 YO mother, how do I do that from 600 miles away?

My parents are in they're 70's and I am hoping by the time I retire, I will be able to go down and help take care of them.

But, maybe some of our younger guest can think about options if they don't agree with how the working society works.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 11:12 PM
link   

My parents are in they're 70's and I am hoping by the time I retire, I will be able to go down and help take care of them.

But, maybe some of our younger guest can think about options if they don't agree with how the working society works.

Here is the question, what happens if they need help before you retire? Hopefully not the case, but a situation faced by many.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Ahhh, this is the situation that makes people debate what is right.

We will take a day off to go to a funeral of a close friend but not to go fishing. (Think about it and you know I am right).

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 11:19 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

Schools are easier. High schools are like middle schools now. Advanced Placement classes use to be reserved for truly gifted students. B students can get into those classes now.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 11:21 PM
link   
We dont give a # what you like or dont like about us.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 11:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
a reply to: lordcomac

Ridiculous, you can't generalize an entire generation based on your limited experiences. Plenty of people my age I've worked with are damn hard workers, myself included.

You think millennials are the only generation to have lazy and entitled people? There are plenty of people among several generations whom I've worked with have been that way. Painting with such broad strokes is extremely ignorant.

Yes each generation has their lazy or entitled population, the millennials just have a significant higher percentage of them with out a doubt

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I work in a place where if the millenials get yelled at to do their job they bitch to HR.

HR then brings it to the attention of the big boss.

The supervisor that tried to get her employee to work is now getting write up and scolded for said act.

Now these whiny young brats can continue their uselessness with no objection because the supervisors are afraid to their job.

Complete chaos and madness. There's something seriously wrong here.

I've been wanting to bitch to HR about HR. I wonder how far that would go?
edit on 28-5-2017 by ConscienceZombie because: silly little typos

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Several years ago when I realized my elderly mother was not safe to remain so far away from me, over 1200 miles, I made her a proposition.

I suggested she come visit for the winter, and if she didn't like living with me, I would return her to her home, no questions, no coercion, no hard feelings. The rest is history.

It turned out to be the best thing for both of us. She is 84 going on 18. She is involved in something every day of the week except Thursdays. That is the only day she is not doing something for the church, the community, a friend, or taking a class.

I think keeping busy keeps her young, health, and sharp. My mother worked in a career field that did not pay women social security until much later, and when she did become eligible, she hadn't earned enough credits, so her monthly check barely pays for her Medicare. She doesn't ask for much. I cover all her expenses and my siblings spoil her as much as she will let them, and then some.

My family is very close and tight. We have are battles just like any other family, but we will never let our mother or each other go without. Something that was ingrained in us growing up poor in the country. It is probably what provided the glue that holds us together.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 11:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: lightedhype
We dont give a # what you like or dont like about us.

Do you think this response has brought any support to your cause? Hint: It didn't

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join