It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's talk about the newest religion: scientism

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+18 more 
posted on May, 27 2017 @ 12:26 AM
link   
While the scientific method is a legitimate process to learn about the world around us, scientism is the cult based on the idea that science has all the answers to life

It masquerades as logic and reason but in reality is a belief system in and of itself

1. It has its own creation myth: big bang, an explosion created everything, planets formed over billions of years, and life popped into existence which then "evolved" into the life we see around us

2. It has its own "prophets" and "saints": men like Darwin, Einstein, Newton, Eratosthenes, Carl Sagan, Neil deGrass Tyson, Bill Nye, Richard Dawkins etc. (Science be upon them) Its blasphemous to even question their claims or disagree on even the tiniest aspect of their " science".

3. It has its own versions of "magical sky fairies": these are fantastical creatures like ape men, dinosaurs, and trillions of unknown transitional forms that have never been discovered, but are believed to have existed.

4. it also claims the existence of heavens containing other worlds and strange objects like black holes, white dwarves, red giants, brown dwarves

5. It also has its own class of priests: these are the scientists who have exclusive access to instruments the commoners cannot dream of looking at.

The priest class also act as oracles, who just happen to know everything - the age of the universe, the distance of a star, the speed at which the galaxy is moving, what's in the core of a planet millions of miles away, what it rains on a planet in a differential solar system and so on.

The commoners dare not question the priests methods. They also do not understand any of the equations that the priest class scrawl on black boards. " it must be true because these guys won't lie"

6. It has its own holy scriptures: books like Origin of species, the selfish gene, a brief history of time and the countless papers on evolutionism and mainstream science.

I'll stop here for now. Its a fact that scientism is not objective truth. Its a cult based on a belief system. It does not permit dissent. It punishes it with ostracism and defamation.

This is the new religion of scientism.

Now will you question what you've been taught as science or will you react in rage and burn this heretic and destroy this thread??

edit on 27-5-2017 by firefromabove because: (no reason given)

+10 more 
posted on May, 27 2017 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Science is not a religion it is a field of study.

But, yes you can still have a cult based off of such. Just as not all cults are religions, but all religions by definition are cults.

posted on May, 27 2017 @ 12:31 AM
link   
They also have their own way of interpreting evidence to match what they want to believe is real. I do not believe in their organizations beliefs, but they do have the right to have their organization. As long as their organization does not interfere with other people's peaceful right to believe in their supreme being.

posted on May, 27 2017 @ 12:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: firefromabove
Now will you question what you've been taught as science or will you react in rage and burn this heretic and destroy this thread??

Can I do both?

posted on May, 27 2017 @ 12:34 AM
link   
a reply to: firefromabove

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the universe.

posted on May, 27 2017 @ 12:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

If you want to make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the universe.

Ah the famous quote from Carl Sagan (science be upon him), one of the high priests of scientism !

+17 more 
posted on May, 27 2017 @ 12:49 AM
link   

While the scientific method is a legitimate process to learn about the world around us, scientism is the cult based on the idea that science has all the answers to life

It masquerades as logic and reason but in reality is a belief system in and of itself

1. It has its own creation myth: big bang, an explosion created everything, planets formed over billions of years, and life popped into existence which then "evolved" into the life we see around us

2. It has its own "prophets" and "saints": men like Darwin, Einstein, Newton, Eratosthenes, Carl Sagan, Neil deGrass Tyson, Bill Nye, Richard Dawkins etc. (Science be upon them) Its blasphemous to even question their claims or disagree on even the tiniest aspect of their " science".

3. It has its own versions of "magical sky fairies": these are fantastical creatures like ape men, dinosaurs, and trillions of unknown transitional forms that have never been discovered, but are believed to have existed.

4. it also claims the existence of heavens containing other worlds and strange objects like black holes, white dwarves, red giants, brown dwarves

5. It also has its own class of priests: these are the scientists who have exclusive access to instruments the commoners cannot dream of looking at.

The priest class also act as oracles, who just happen to know everything - the age of the universe, the distance of a star, the speed at which the galaxy is moving, what's in the core of a planet millions of miles away, what it rains on a planet in a differential solar system and so on.

The commoners dare not question the priests methods. They also do not understand any of the equations that the priest class scrawl on black boards. " it must be true because these guys won't lie"

6. It has its own holy scriptures: books like Origin of species, the selfish gene, a brief history of time and the countless papers on evolutionism and mainstream science.

I'll stop here for now. Its a fact that scientism is not objective truth. Its a cult based on a belief system. It does not permit dissent. It punishes it with ostracism and defamation.

Are you really still doing this? Science is not a religion no matter how you try and spin it. no one is goong to burn anything because you don't understand what science is.

+3 more 
posted on May, 27 2017 @ 12:51 AM
link   

You have been authoring the same post for years.

posted on May, 27 2017 @ 12:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

I said scientism is a religion and made a long post substantiating why

posted on May, 27 2017 @ 01:14 AM
link   

All cults and religions make claim of special knowledge.

It is inevitable that knowledge would be construed as a religion by those unable to make the distinction.

posted on May, 27 2017 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Well, I disagree with almost everything you just said. Starting from when you said, "scientism is the cult based on the idea that science has all the answers to life."

Because I don't know anyone who actually believes Science has all the answers. Nor anyone who's ever made that claim who is a credible scientist either. If we had all the answers they wouldn't still be researching stuff after all.

But if there are those who do believe that then I suppose Scientism is a good name for it and I agree that it might be a type of religious like belief system. And we all know what BS Religious Belief Systems are, right??? Completely worthless indeed.

posted on May, 27 2017 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Despite differentiating between science and scientism in the first line of the post you went ahead and listed things shared between the two and blurred the differentiation made at the beginning only to totally erase it with the hyperbole at the end.
edit on 27-5-2017 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2017 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I always find it ironic and amusing to read the anti-science folks...on the internet.
Carry on. Every nation needs people to dig ditches.

posted on May, 27 2017 @ 01:42 AM
link   

I was going to do a line by line rebuttal of your post, but as I read it I am honestly not sure if it is satire or not.
edit on 27-5-2017 by mrperplexed because: grammar.

posted on May, 27 2017 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Based of course on mathematical equasions, and stuff like... evidence

Who are neither prophets, or saints lol... And IF one questions them they're not called blasphemers... they're just required to back their claims... Unlike religion

No idea where you're getting this from... my guess would be extraction from your backside

Again... based on Math and physics...

No...

Theres plenty of high powered telescopes that are open to the public... One is about a half hour drive from me actually

Perhaps in your fairy tale world... in reality we usually base it on evidence.... Math and physics is considered such

nonsense... they all welcome people who question... but again unlike religion one must back their claims

Just... no

I would suggest you start with Grade 9 science and go from there.... Homeschooling never leads to anything but...

well religion

posted on May, 27 2017 @ 02:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

No No No !!

The apple pie always existed.

posted on May, 27 2017 @ 02:04 AM
link   

a reply to: Woodcarver

I said scientism is a religion and made a long post substantiating why

Did your fire from above always exist, or did YOU start it?

posted on May, 27 2017 @ 02:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX
I always find it ironic and amusing to read the anti-science folks...on the internet.
Carry on. Every nation needs people to dig ditches.

Have you watched or read Gaiman's 'American Gods?' It's a great show involving all of mankind's gods fighting for our attention as they need to be relevant. Given a choice between the old Abrahamic God, the Hindu pantheon or the gods of 'scientism,' I'd favour the lab coated gods of the latter.

Infant mortality, plagues and candle-power are all the Old God offers and even candle-light was arguably a scientific discovery. No, let's put our lot in with scientism and enjoy freedom of travel, longevity and all the luxuries we take for granted.

posted on May, 27 2017 @ 02:09 AM
link   

I agree with you. The fact that there are paradigms that are still laughed at despite statistical evidence shows that it is still difficult for some to accept new ideas. In fact may just be the difficulty of accepting new ideas that make people cling.

In fact, by placing all areas of "truth" and invention under some area of science just makes it appear more powerful. If one day spirits appear for all to see, they will also be considered under a part of science. This is how science looks so powerful. It simply pulls all kinds of "truths" under its wing.

If I were to thank someone for the amazing inventions that I use daily, it would be the inventors themselves. I do not intend to thank or give credit to science for that, as that now merely appears to be an umbrella term for various areas of study.
edit on 27-5-2017 by ThinkingMe because: Additions

posted on May, 27 2017 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Well I have been reading up on this for years,
and I am just an old fool at it.
So ,
What's New?

More Speculation,Hypothesis,and Theory?

You seem like a bright individual,
why not do humanity a favor and report on GWEN
towers or something of that nature.