It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Faced with an urgent shortage of workers California farmers are desperate to be heard

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2017 @ 09:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

I don't think you understand the context of my post. But, I will move on.

Sure I did, I simply returned to the point of my post which you replied to.

posted on May, 27 2017 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: Butterfinger

I bet Cali has alot of people getting welfare that could use a job.

I was referring to this post about the farm jobs. Farmers are very wary of liability and workmans comp which legal americans are entitiled to. They will go robots and this is their plea for government money to help with that.

posted on May, 27 2017 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

You don't have to convince me. It's the farmers don't like to hire teenagers or americans for field work. They would have to pay into workmans comp and all that payroll burden.

posted on May, 27 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

Then it's our job to ensure the government doesn't do that.

Although eventually all jobs will go the way of the robot.

posted on May, 27 2017 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Well, I thought that was congress and Trump's job, to reform the tax system. Don't see that happening in time to help farmers. Maybe the next session, or the next, or the next.

posted on May, 27 2017 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Well, well, well, they can not get illegals because once they become legal citizens they get in the bandwagon of social services so why work.

Illegals thanks to the safe havens in California are doing the same thing.

Who needs stinky jobs under the sun when you can seat at home have a ten children and collect government money.

They are learning, and learning well.

edit on 27-5-2017 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 27 2017 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Because welfare pays more. I know because I was once on welfare in Cali. I grew up in the San Jaquin valley so I grew up with farm worker kids. They pay by the tray or bucket of fruit and veges and it's a small price. But welfare pays more. Some ppl will probably try to act like I'm lying but it really is true. Only reason I left Cali is because my husband had drug problems and the only way to help fix it was to move. But I promise you it is true the farmers take advantage and the ppl that should be doing it get better welfare, homeless assistance and housing assistance so they won't do it. I know because I lived that lifestyle in Cali.

posted on May, 28 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Butterfinger
a reply to: namelesss

MY point being American kids are privileged more than ever and could do with some manual labor.

So, we should retire the backhoe and give the barely paid, shovels?
I agree that an animal cannot become a human, or more, without Pain!

"The growth of the soul in man is as that of a pearl in an oyster, both being caused by irritation." - Plato

I agree in principle, but;
The Universe provides sufficient Pain for all who need Pain.
It is not my job to provide more pain by 'forced labor'.
What then when there are but a few jobs since mechanization and robotics will be doing that 'punishment work'?

I never said send them out by force(just that they wouldn't unless forced),

Since you advocate the work,
Since the work will not be accomplished without 'force',
You imply that you condone force.

but through workforce initiatives like FDR did in the 30s and it actually helped with building the infrastructure you use even today.

This is not the 30s of last century, it is an entirely new world and the tools that were used in the 30s are no longer functional, for many reasons.
Do we want 'more of the same' world to live in, and for our children and grandkids, etc...?

Your reaction is a good example of what I mean by todays mindset

Mind is not 'set', and when I am dehumanized and dismissed by your 'categorization', I drop out of the discussion.
Peace *__-

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Well, I thought that was congress and Trump's job, to reform the tax system. Don't see that happening in time to help farmers. Maybe the next session, or the next, or the next.

And that's where you go wrong. It's the job of the people to ensure the government works for them.

posted on May, 30 2017 @ 08:11 AM
link   

And that's where you go wrong. It's the job of the people to ensure the government works for them.

That is why we vote and protest. There is one party in control. Tax reform should be easy. Have you contacted your representatives?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join