It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Faced with an urgent shortage of workers California farmers are desperate to be heard

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   

“If we can’t change the way we’re doing business, we’re at risk,” said Brad Goehring, a fourth-generation wine grape grower in Lodi.

The state has been struggling with this farm labor shortage issue for years, but it’s gotten to a point where farmers are fed-up.

Goehring is among the growing number of agricultural businessmen in California who have tried a number of strategies to lure workers. From putting ads in the paper to offering benefits- such as health insurance and 401(k)s, Goehring has even increased pay on certain jobs up to $22 an hour.

“Really nothing seems to work when you raise your wages, the guy next door raises his—just keeps going up,” he said.

And springtime is when the labor shortage hits the hardest.

“We had to pick and choose vineyards that were gonna forego certain operations, those are the hard decisions we have to make, and we lose a lot of sleep over it,” said Goehring.
sacramento.cbslocal.com...

It is all about $$$. When there is too many people wanting to do a job wages go down. When there is not enough people doing a job wages go up. Simple. But not if wages are supposed to go up.

If we want food it does in deed cost money to run the operation. If costs go up so should the cost at the market.

+9 more 
posted on May, 25 2017 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Shouldn't have based your workforce on illegals if this is true. Serves them right for trying to profit off of cheap imported brown laborers.

Get American teens and homeless in the fields to learn a hard days work and a chance to be proud of it, at minimum wage.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 10:21 AM
link   
hmmm...

Build a few cabins.

Set up a website.

Advertise as "Real Working Experience" vacations.

I would bet dollars to donuts there are "People" that would pay to do it.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

When they have a bumper crop... there's more to pick, requiring more workers at even higher wages.... Driving the prices of the food up!
Crazy stuff.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger

Why min wage?

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Maybe California shouldn't be taking advantage of illegals for their labor force.
Raise the pay level.
Everyone expects Wal-Mart to pay people more.

The article says raising pay hasn't helped so how will it help anywhere else?
edit on 25-5-2017 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Sounds like a great opportunity for the chronically unemployed.

Get to work you bums !!!

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Get to work you bums !!!

I agree.

Part of the problem is that many people would rather live without employment than work a difficult job.

If it was harder to live a comfortable life off of the government, people would jump at these jobs.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

I think we expect "other" people to work for a wage that will still keep them on govt assistance living in squalor. All the while we (I) should make a great living with great benefits.

The true cost of good food should be reflected in the cost of the products. Right now they are hidden.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Butterfinger
Shouldn't have based your workforce on illegals if this is true. Serves them right for trying to profit off of cheap imported brown laborers.

Get American teens and homeless in the fields to learn a hard days work and a chance to be proud of it, at minimum wage.

you did read what they did to attract LEGAL people right?

unless you came, didn't read and wanted to share your frustration first.

let me ask.. are you working minimum wage?

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

originally posted by: xuenchen

Get to work you bums !!!

I agree.

Part of the problem is that many people would rather live without employment than work a difficult job.

If it was harder to live a comfortable life off of the government, people would jump at these jobs.

This, right here, is the issue.
People these days come out of school expecting jobs to pay well enough to buy houses, like it was in the 80's. Those days are gone, our fiat currency is too far down the tube.
With government perfectly willing to steal from the hard workers to provide a free ride to anyone who doesn't want to work, there's little to no incentive for someone to do hard labor.

I wouldn't work on a farm for $22 an hour- but my skill set gets me more money for far less work. I've got a work ethic, though- something hard to find these days. Right out of school, I would have been all over that work. I worked at least that hard for less than half as much right out of school.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Ah, so this is why they are so hell bent on cutting SNAP. Food costs are going to escalate.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

The $22 an hour are for "some" jobs. Do you think some one getting 2 cents a pound picking toms is going to make $22 an hour?

If living off the govt was so comfortable, it would be more popular, it is not.

Pay needs to go up. Simple free market econ. But when the wages need to go up econ goes out the window.
edit on 25-5-2017 by seasonal because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Cut the welfare and see what happens. Simple as that.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: mikell

Cut the welfare and try to get to work, or go shopping or just try to not have your house stripped while you go to work.

There is a thin veil keeping this all together. Either you pay at the grocery store or you pay at the tax man.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 11:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Why min wage?

Its better than what they are offering, plus its entry level work. I supported my family of 4 on $8.50/hr for 5 years working at a farm and ranch store, worked my way up to IT Admin. 'Murican dreams an all that.

Sure they tried to get legals, but caved when it comes to wages. The industry is based off of low pay for illegals that have no recourse for the most part on demanding better pay.

There needs to be a workfore initiative to usher people into these jobs, thereby forcing out illegal work beacons in Cali blood fields. US Citizens come first.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 11:29 AM
link   

There can be no push to get people to do these jobs.

If the farmers were not in debt to their ears, they could weather a season and watch the contracts that they signed with middlemen get them more $$$$.

The corps have the farmers by the short hairs. This is another bubble that has formed due to illegal activities.

Corps have to make more money this quarter than the last quarter and corps don't give a crap if the farmer gets shafted. or if the current system makes workers slaves.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
Ah, so this is why they are so hell bent on cutting SNAP. Food costs are going to escalate.

Idealism works so well in reality

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Looks to me like California has its own slave trade that's drying up.

Sorry we have to take your slaves again.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Maybe this is why they are succeeding? History.......repeats........

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join