It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smothered Chicken Livers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Well, this is the third time I have made this dish after watching this ladies video on youtube. I must say I am addicted now! I deep fry mine instead of doing them in the pan as she does, probably a mistake, but it turns out awesome, plus I probably put down 5 or 6 of em after they come out of the deep fryer.

Anyhow, for those of you who LOVE those disgusting parts of the animal that no one else will eat, check this out, save some cash and enjoy! I add frozen peas and carrots to mine and serve it over mashed potatoes instead of rice!

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Chicken livers are one of those foods that no matter how it's cooked it just don't taste that good to me, I do have chickens and some of them are for meat but instead of wasting those livers I use them for cat fishing, great bait.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

Chicken livers are one of those foods that no matter how it's cooked it just don't taste that good to me, I do have chickens and some of them are for meat but instead of wasting those livers I use them for cat fishing, great bait.

They do make good bait for catfishin! Have you ever tried soaking them in milk after rinsing them? As it works for beef liver it works for chicken liver too. The milk seems to draw the blood out and they do not have such an irony taste to them.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   
The natives down here get off on eating these fried chicken gizzards. They be like chewing on rubber. More like tire rubber though, whereas squid is more towards latex condoms. Squids a popular bait too!

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Yea I tried them every way but my buds just don't agree and this is coming from someone who has no problem eating bull oysters.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Fried chicken livers are the bomb. I soak mine in buttermilk over night.

The buttermilk saves the day and makes them palatable.

Here's a little piggy I just smoked at work. Cheers to all the tasty beasts and their tasty parts

edit on 23-5-2017 by TheAlleghenyGentleman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman
Yes, fried chicken livers are the bomb.
A giant, thermonuclear gout bomb.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I like chiclen livers chopped and fried in butter with salt and black pepper.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 07:25 PM
link   

This is one of those "parts-is-parts" dishes that I grew up with and revere. I like a heavily seasoned, spicy-but-thin coating and deep-fried in hot oil. I like to make plenty extra and the next day chop it with cream cheese and scallions and serve it on toasted bagels with pickled green tomatoes. *drool*

I grew up in Salmon, Idaho. We ate most of the animals that we killed, and used ALL of the animal in one way or another. Heart, gizzard, liver, kidneys, intestine, all was fodder for our table. Black pudding made with pig's blood -- good eating.

Until I was about eight years old, I thought we were eating Bee Farts; sometime around then I discovered it was beef heart.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 07:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
The natives down here get off on eating these fried chicken gizzards. They be like chewing on rubber. More like tire rubber though, whereas squid is more towards latex condoms. Squids a popular bait too!

I like gizzards, but I boil them until tender... then dredge them in flour and fry them. Nothing rubbery about them when they are done that way. I do snapping turtle the same way, boil , then fry.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

If the squid is rubbery, it's because it's been cooked too long. Squid cooks really fast, so it's very easy to overcook.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 08:05 PM
link   
My grandma used to go to the Piccadilly Cafeteria every Wednesday to have fried liver and onions. It took years but I did finally get courage to try it. DELICIOUS.

FYI: Often predators eat the liver first.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
My grandma used to go to the Piccadilly Cafeteria every Wednesday to have fried liver and onions. It took years but I did finally get courage to try it. DELICIOUS.

FYI: Often predators eat the liver first.

Organ meats are some of the most nutrient dense, so if you are a predator and you just expended a lot of energy to bring down prey and you aren't sure you're going to be able to enjoy your entire meal, you eat what has the most bang for your buck first in case something steals your kill.

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: argentus

Now that sounds really good! Chopped up with cream cheese and scallion?

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 10:49 PM
link   

There is a problem with the recipe in the video. its a big one.

The cook used hot water from the tap in the recipe. This may be convenient but it is dangerous.

Hot water from the tap comes from the hot water heater. it is contaminated with heavy metals like lead, copper, magnesium etc.

grist.org...

If you want to cook with hot water, just boil water from the cold water tap. Or put cold water in the pan and let it boil on its own. But dont drink water from the hot water tap.

lets keep our kids on a lead-free diet!

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Yes that works.I quite like chicken livers but we don't buy them for home cooking often cause the kids don't like them but occasionally I make them for me and hubby.I like to make them in a cream sauce with mushrooms,onion and green bell peppers,almost like a stroganoff type dish.Hubby also likes them the Portuguese way.

posted on May, 24 2017 @ 02:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raxoxane

Yes that works.I quite like chicken livers but we don't buy them for home cooking often cause the kids don't like them but occasionally I make them for me and hubby.I like to make them in a cream sauce with mushrooms,onion and green bell peppers,almost like a stroganoff type dish.Hubby also likes them the Portuguese way.

Would you mind sending me a U2U of that recipe? It sounds awesome! Or you could just share it with everyone in this thread?

edit on 24-5-2017 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Hi ya thanks sure i'll put the recipe up soon as im by pc.My connection is usually iffy from cell.

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Ok so i never use recipes,unless i'm making some special delicacy or dessert.Even then i just use the recipe as a vague guideline.

Ok so i wash gently the chicken livers.

I put them in milk seasoned with salt and pepper and a bit of Steak and Chops Spice,like this:
www.robertsons.co.za...

I leave for at least 30 minutes.

Then i put some oil in a pan,i use only non-GMO coconut oil.It just makes all foods taste much nicer,especially french fries,roast chicken,lamb chops,stuff like that but everything really.

I fry finely (but not too mushy fine) chopped onion,garlic,green and red bell pepper and parsley. And small button mushrooms,or halved big ones. I like the smaller ones whole for this.

Then when the veg is halfway fried i add the livers.

You know of course to take them out of the milk,don't add the milk.

You then add more salt,black pepper,some steak and chops spice.

You stirfry this till the livers are well browned and basically done,then you add cream. I cannot specify how much,i just pour till it seems enough. The livers must not be totally submerged,but not like,a stingy half cup either,it must be nice and creamy. But not drowning in the cream. Unless you like it like that,i guess.

If i dish it Italian style i use tagliatelle pasta and serve it with Parmesan cheese and chopped parsley and oregano if i can find the oregano locally. I LOVE parsley. But you can have it with rice,couscous or just buttery salted boiled potatoes too.

Well,bon apetit

posted on May, 25 2017 @ 07:02 PM
link   

I don't usually measure food ingredients. I had about two cups of chopped chicken livers. Stirred in about 1/2 - 3/4 cup of stiff mashed potatoes, and smashed them both together with a fork. Stirred in about 1/2 cup finely chopped scallions and about 1/2 cup cream cheese. Forked it again. Added about 1/2 tsp. of dried, minced garlic, and about a tsp. of black pepper. Maybe 1/2 tsp of salt. More or less to taste. I thought it needed a little more fat consistency and added a tablespoon of coconut oil. That made it really nicely spreadable. Toasted some "everything" bagels and mounded the spread over them. Topped with thinly-sliced homemade pickled green tomatoes.

Yummers.

<<   2 >>

join