It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disclosure, would it equal chaos?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 07:12 AM
link   
As many of you know I am a hardened sceptic when it come to alien visitaton and most especally abductions.
However I do not wish to discuss whether alens are real and visiting or not today rather I would like to discover what dsclosure of alen contact would actully do.
Many here are of the mind that disclosure has not happened because of the chaos it would cause, usually cting religous instabillity as the primary reason. I however as a christian see nothing in the bble which either confrims or more importntly denies aline existence, so I dont think that would actually be a problem.
However I do think this would cause economic chaos.

Lets say hypothetically that the US and world government are aware of advanced alien life vsiting the earth, and have been in contact and negotiaton with them for decades. lets further assume they announced this and introduced an alien ambassador on TV.

Would ths cuse wdespread panic and instabillity? I don't believe it would, for the most part I think people would go on with thier lives as normal. But what if they also announced a technology sharing treaty?

Just off the top of my head I can think of many industries which would immediatly become worthless were they to give us free energy, anti grav and FTL travel.

The worldwide aerospace industry would be rendered obsolete in seconds, as would the energy industry. Transport, shipping, medicine and pharmacueticals, not too mention, astronomy amd physics research, all would become obsolete assuming the aliens were willing to share thier knowledge. the educatonal system and all of those in academic fields, would instantly find our degrees worthless, except for historty and literature majors.

When viewed in ths context are you sure you want full disclosure?

It s a well known fact tht in times of anarchy and chaos, when there s a power vacum that vacum will be filled.
The question is by what?

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Unfortunately I don't believe a vast majority of people would be able to handle it. Overall the human mentality is just not 'high' enough to accepct something on this scale. IMHO it would lead to wide spread choas......how do you think that would look to a higher lifeform???? It kinda sad

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 07:58 AM
link   
People would be shocked for a week and there'd be round-the-clock TV coverage but then people would get used to it and go back to everyday life.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 08:03 AM
link   
I agree I dont think there would be tht much social upheavel.
However financially ts a different story.
I mean the shares of boeing, airbus etc would crash.
Think of the tech that would be rendered obsolete immediatly and then think of the vast mounts of capital, and manpower devoted to production,sales,distribution, and transportation of that tech.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Intresting site re: disclosure

www.paradigmclock.com...

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I was thinking about this just the other day driving home. I began to run through my head a few scenerios where, for instance, a national broadcast went out on the radio saying that a large ship appeared above NYC, or the Whitehouse, or something like that. Then my mind began racing with other possibilities of what would happen after that. I sorta got a little panicked (because my mind tends to run wild a bit, especially when I'm bored driving in my car). I began thinking about all the cheesy stuff we all talk about, like aliens attacking our military bases and such, in effort to take earth over easier. Then I began thinking about how I would need to get home as fast as posibble to get my wife and 1 yr old son somewhere safe (right, like there is really anywhere safe
) and about how I need to go buy bullets for my rifle (I've only used it once when I was like 17, so I don't even have bullets for it. Heck, I don't even think I know where the key for the safety lock is
).

Now, keep in mind, I want disclosure, and I want to see ET contact in my lifetime, but look at how my silly mind allowed me to get so worked up. Now, with that said, think about what will go thru the minds of those who are not open minded, or somewhat informed on this issue. I have always said that disclosure is the best thing, and that the human race is more ready for it than ever, but after my recent revelation I'm not so sure that mankind would react as civil as I use to give them credit for.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I do not know. The hardest part would be trying to get people to actually pay attention to such an announcement, at least here in the US.
I believe that if the goverments werte to comeout today and present an undeniable evidence of ET including having one on the TV, people would just brush it off as possibly a advertising ploy or some such thing.
Although once the people realized that it was true, then I beieve that there would indeed be a panic. Once the first attack / run response passes though, most people would accept it as another part of their world.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I guess you would have to define "chaos".... will people be in the streets rioting /looting? Probably not. However, I don't believe people will just shrug their shoulders and go back to their mundane life.

Consider this... after the recent election of Bush, remember the map of the red vs. blue states? Remember ALL the red states? I believe it is safe to say these conservatives and religious would surely be quite concerned about any disclosure of aliens. How exactly would these people respond is still iffy... I cant say I know for sure because I live in NJ and have never been to the south or mid-west. Perhaps someone here who lives down there can shed some light on the "mentality" of the people that live in these regions... (BTW- I'm not slighting the people in these regions either, I know people here and in the blue states would be concerned also)

If the government made disclosure, how do you think this will effect the children in school? Would the teacher's be aloud to talk about "aliens" in school? What persepctive would they present?... and there is no doubt that these innocent kids would then ask how aliens figure into the "god concept". I'm sure the status quo would be "oh.. god created them too" But what about the statement that "god created us in his image?" Would this then be challenged? If aliens are obviously more evolved than us in many areas and present us with a "alternate" view of creation/universe dont you think this would threaten the egos of the "less enlightened" and highly religious?

We can agree that history tends to repeat itself? How about this analogy. Many many years ago, natives lived throughout the US. Then the age of exploration arrived- fast forward. These explores came to the new land and said "your wrong, there is only one god, your ideas & beliefs are WRONG, we are more advanced & intellegent then you, hey, look we built big boats and traveled across seas and came to you..." and forced their religion on the natives with dire consequences for NOT believing.

What if these aliens do the same after gov. disclosure... present themselves and say... "oh hey humans, you are all WRONG about your beliefs, god, etc..." And their position is... "hey we are more intellegent and highly advanced, and after all, we(aliens) are the ones who traveled to you and your understanding of life is false.

These are just a few quick ideas, but I do see a personal chaos occurring after disclosure. Many people will be very confused. The religious right would surely go to great lengths to save their religions... thoughts?

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 08:44 AM
link   
In my opinion I think people would be more fascinated than chaotic.Just the thought of aliens being real would have them frozen with shock and disbelief.The only chaotic thing might be the barrage of questions.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Drew Da General
In my opinion I think people would be more fascinated than chaotic.Just the thought of aliens being real would have them frozen with shock and disbelief.The only chaotic thing might be the barrage of questions.

Fascinated? Tell that to my grandparents.

Fascination with this subject def pertains to alot of us here at ATS, but for the millions.. I say again.. MILLIONS of people who are unwavering in their current beliefs would disagree with you. Let us not forget, that if the US discloses this info, the effect would not remain "local" it would have world wide ramifications.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Hopefully the Alien visitors would have our best interest at heart- This brings to mind the old (I think) Twighlight Zone episode "To Serve Mankind"
When the alien forgot the book the government deciphered it and it was a "cook Book"

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 09:28 AM
link   
mwm1331, I think you've hit pretty close to the mark. I've actually stated similar problems with disclosure before...

You've also got the political, as well as economic fallout to consider, with the revelation of a secret alien/US tech treaty.

That's why I think a more limited disclosure is likely...but has to be done VERY carefully, as the "deal" is really the most disruptive part of it. Disclosure can successfully be done, IF they stick to it as chance encounters and crash retrievals, and not formal deals between organizations. As for religion, they've had to get over the world being round and not the center of the Universe, so I think (unfortunately) it'll survive aliens as well. There are a variety of ways to introduce the existence of aliens and not shake the pillars of faith...

The biggest hurdle will be explaining to the US citizens, as well as the world, as to WHY the secret was kept. This will require the fanciest political footwork in history, and is likely one of the biggest stumbling blocks. Naturally, national security, and public's best interest will be brought up, but selling it will not be an easy task.

The other thing to consider, is do the aliens WANT to be disclosed? If they don't, then what are the repercussions of doing so?

I think we all want to see full disclosure, but secretly, we know there are many variables to consider, and that sometimes on the social scale, ignorance is bliss. Disclosure isn't something that should just "happen", it needs to be planned and implemented slowly, and I hope that's what we're actually seeing. However, over 50 years is a little TOO slow, so I would like to see the ball start moving a bit faster.....

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Many good points & well said.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 10:09 AM
link   
absolutely nothing would change, people would over react, the aliens would still call rough shot over our government and still do whatever they damn please, coming and going faster then the eye could see, sightings would still be a rare occasion, if not perhaps a little more frequent, the government would still have complete control over everything.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 10:59 AM
link   
It's a very common thing among the political elite, on all levels of politics, to be afraid of an "impending chaos". This is how, fundamentally, they justify all policies and orders that separates political power fro the general population. In a sense, disclosure of the alien presence would mean to them the end the same as the coming of an anarchist social order.

But frankly I really don't think that this is the real reason why they don't disclose UFOs. What if UFOs -at least msot of them- were man-made, and especially, made by the US government.. would'nt it be allowing them more powere over society -and over the rest of the world- to keep these exotic technologies secret so they could use them for purposes of surveillance and for abducting people without being exposed to the Law?

I gess that makes more sense to me than the theory of social chaos.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by mwm1331
financially ts a different story.
I mean the shares of boeing, airbus etc would crash.

why would they? I would think that the US government would pass over to them whatever technology it got from the aliens and they would have been in the loop all along. If the technology is of any practical use the shares of those companies will skyrocket and they will dominate the world market.

A real upheaval would happen if the instead of contacting the US the aliens went to some third world country and passed technology over to them. We could have something like ethiopia taking over the world in a matter of weeks!

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 12:03 PM
link   
SImple answe to the question...no. It' seems as if it being done so systematically...that it will not casue chaos.......

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Personally, i'd be happy to see a greater power than Bush.

Let us hope they take over this country for our sakes.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Yes, after a while it would cause a lot of chaos and horrible things. I think at first a lot of people wouldn't believe it. Then once reality set in the hardcore christians would freak out because this would mean life outside of earth which isn't mentioned in the bible.

posted on Feb, 4 2005 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by meshuggah1324
the hardcore christians would freak out because this would mean life outside of earth which isn't mentioned in the bible.

lol electric scooters are also not mentioned in the bible.. does that mean they freak out whenever they see one?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join