It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US air strikes hit SAA convoy on the way to the Tanf border crossing

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: allsee4eye

Regardless, they still have some of the same disadvantages of the earlier Fulcrum. They're much improved, but they were starting from farther back than the US aircraft. They finally went to a HOTAS system, and in a couple ways their radar is better, but the F-16 still has the edge in many areas.
edit on 5/19/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Agreed. MiG-21, F-4, Mirage III are 1950s designs. MiG-29, F-16, Mirage 2000 are 1970s designs. They have much sleeker air frames.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 06:17 PM
link   
SAA and allies will not go after American servicemen, but they will take Syria's border and give American servicemen the chance to leave.

twitter.com...

(post by proteus33 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)
(post by PublicOpinion removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 09:38 PM
link   
PMU having fun shooting at American planes while on the way to the Iraq Syria border.

twitter.com...

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 09:43 PM
link   

All that video shows is them shooting a gun into the air. Unless an aircraft is extremely low, and stupid, a gun like that has about zero chance of hitting.

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Agreed. If they really wanted to shoot down a plane they use a MANPADS. Shooting guns without a fire control radar has just about 0 probability of hitting.

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Even MANPADS has very limited usefulness against anything but helicopters and some transports, if they're caught in the right conditions. Aircraft in Iraq hit by then tended to land and get repaired.

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 10:05 PM
link   

The latest Verba MANPADS can engage aircraft 6 km away at altitudes up to 3.5 km. It is deadly against attacking planes.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 10:08 PM
link   

The flight ceiling is 15,000 feet (according to the video, it's actually slightly below 12,000 feet). Attacking aircraft no longer have to dive down and get close to drop their weapons. Using precision munitions they never even have to leave their cruising altitude anymore. There's no need for them to even come into range of MANPADS. The only aircraft that really need to are helicopters and some gunships, or light attack aircraft.

The highest reaching MANPADS only reaches about 20,000 feet. In a weapons test, an F-22 dropped a 1000 pound JDAM at Mach 1.5, from 50,000 feet and hit the target. So not only was is well out of range of a MANPADS, it was traveling faster than many of them could engage.

edit on 5/20/2017 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 10:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: allsee4eye

The latest Verba MANPADS can engage aircraft 6 km away at altitudes up to 3.5 km. It is deadly against attacking planes.

en.wikipedia.org...

3.5 km. Hahahahaha, Snip, I've started approach from 11, 500. Kirtland is at about 5300 ft.
But to hit one on CAP or SEAD, it would be a deadly disaster for the terrorist.
edit on V172017Saturdaypm31America/ChicagoSat, 20 May 2017 22:17:06 -05001 by Violater1 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 10:17 PM
link   

The advancing convoy could position MANPADS troopers ahead. If planes attack, the planes might be ambushed by troopers ahead of the convoy. It is very difficult for planes at high altitude to spot individual MANPADS troopers.

In any case, Coalition planes are not going to attack PMU and PMU is not going to shoot down any planes. For now they still need to work together to fight IS.
edit on 20-5-2017 by allsee4eye because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 10:22 PM
link   

It doesn't matter WHERE they put them. The missiles can't reach high enough to hit them if they stay above 15,000 feet. This isn't Vietnam or even Desert Storm anymore. There's no need for close air support to dive down to low altitude anymore. They can fly straight and level over the target area, staying well out of weapons range of all but large SAM systems, and bomb targets.

posted on May, 20 2017 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Correct. And if planes use GPS guided bombs they would not need to fly lower to use EO to target with laser or TV guided bombs.

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Reported some Russian SOF arrived in southern Syria after the US air strike on the convoy.

www.levanttimes.com... l&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 07:27 AM
link   
A Russia flag is raised over places captured by SAA and allies in southern Syria to deter American air strikes.

twitter.com...

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

originally posted by: WhereAmEYE

originally posted by: Martin75
Guess they should have listened.

Don't mess with our special forces or you will face the consequences

I hate any loss of life but our troops have to come first! Sorry you don't feel that way.

How dare the Syrians and Iraqis move about their countries freely, such audacity! Our special forces can do no harm and can go where ever they want when ever they want because we're Murika!

/Sarcasm

You are a classic Jingo by the very definition. How's that American Exceptionalism going for you? Must feel nice to be so sedated.

I celebrated mine by having my flag up, while grilling, while having a beer, and throwing a football with my kids.

It was....exceptional.

And then a drone strike came and wiped you all out.

But you were approaching special forces!

That's what you get for ignoring the warnings....

edit on 21-5-2017 by WhereAmEYE because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 21 2017 @ 02:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flatcoat

originally posted by: essentialtremors

originally posted by: Flatcoat

originally posted by: Shamrock6

originally posted by: WhereAmEYE

originally posted by: Martin75
Guess they should have listened.

Don't mess with our special forces or you will face the consequences

I hate any loss of life but our troops have to come first! Sorry you don't feel that way.

How dare the Syrians and Iraqis move about their countries freely, such audacity! Our special forces can do no harm and can go where ever they want when ever they want because we're Murika!

/Sarcasm

You are a classic Jingo by the very definition. How's that American Exceptionalism going for you? Must feel nice to be so sedated.

I celebrated mine by having my flag up, while grilling, while having a beer, and throwing a football with my kids.

It was....exceptional.

Yep, and that's why your country's constantly at war.

I'm willing to bet that your country is most likely operating over there too.

Is your country apart of NATO by chance?

Nope, but my country does tend to follow the US into whichever country they decide to invade and I'm ashamed of that. What I was referring to was the american attitude of "raise the flag, praise the troops, crack open a beer and watch the bombs go off on the tv" every time the US attacks another nation.

These people you speak of are bringing some serious karma upon us and I am pissed off that I have to worry about blowback due to a clan of inbred propaganda sucking Trump worshiping partisan slaves.

Back in the cold war maybe I would give people a pass for falling to the propaganda, now days people embrace their enslavement and enjoy sucking the poison teet. There's no excuse for it.

"What were you doing when the world ended?"

"Worshiping an american flag made in China passing a toxic football to my child"

# yeah !

Watch out for that friendly drone

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join