It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Introducing Windows 10 S

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Does anyone else think it's a bit suspicious Microsoft has a new 'secure' operating system that locks you out of your own computer ready to go right after all these randomware attacks? Almost seems like they were waiting for it to happen so people would willingly install this new bull#.

I recently decided to upgrade from kubuntu 14.04 to kde neon based on ubuntu 16.04 with the latest kde packages. I'd forgotten about the windows 10 installation still on my computer i'd never used so after a quick reformatting I had an extra 200GB of free space. I'm pretty sure I hadn't been able to boot into windows for a while anyway. At some point a while ago I had to disable the uefi booter...which is a whole other can of # that should never have been allowed.
edit on 18/5/2017 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 08:44 AM
link   
a reply to: MuonToGluon

Antitrust Lawsuits for predatory and anticompetitive behavior.

Microsoft claims that preventing installation of third party applications makes things safer. You can already keep it safe by limiting which users have admin permissions. So their reasons make no sense.

edit on 5/18/17 by BlueAjah because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: mikell

XP??? I hope those are not connected to the Internet or in any way to a network where other computers are on the Internet.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 09:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Finspiracy

No, it's a pain in the ass.

Sit there, something goes wrong, instead of knowing how to fix it, gotta hunt through thousands of linux pages with similar yet completely different resolution...

I've gone to linux, almost every variant over and over, and that is the one thing that brings me back to winnoob. sad as it is.

I don't have time to drop to a terminal when things get so bad I need to apt-get blah blah and apt-get update this and that.

:/

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 09:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv

originally posted by: Tempter

originally posted by: Finspiracy

originally posted by: toysforadults
I highly recommend Linux Mint for first time users.

Exactly what i recommend too. And for those readers who think "i can't learn to use a new operating system" well it is extremely easy to keep mint updated and also customize it.

I don't recommend any Linux distribution for home use. At least not for the average person, anyways.

I would recommend Centos7, essentially RedHat but with only user and community support.
In fact, you can load up VMWorkstation and put a guest of Centos7 up very easily. Best of both worlds.

In a world made out of molasses.

People are either just running firefox and nothing else, or have a bazillion dollar machine.

Mum and dad were happy with windows xp. Telling them to run vmware, or get all tecchie at a terminal? Who's gonna be the one on the phone every day.

Hell, even if it's just for you, when you have to compile your own software because the software isn't in a package, and you get nothing but dependency errors, you are not going to be the average desktop click'n'player...

good OS, to be sure, linux. most modern variants. but they don't play well with the internet a lot of the time, or software you are used to, is vague and confusing. and wine? back to XP. idk...

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah
a reply to: mikell

XP??? I hope those are not connected to the Internet or in any way to a network where other computers are on the Internet.

Link

Microsoft issues ‘highly unusual’ Windows XP patch to prevent massive ransomware attack

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

MS is not patching every hole in XP. This was an extreme situation.

It is completely irresponsible and unprofessional for an IT department to have XP on the Internet or a network connected to the Internet.

If you absolutely need it for a specific purpose and keep it totally isolated, then it is not as risky. They must be totally isolated, except for perhaps connections to other XP machines.

edit on 5/18/17 by BlueAjah because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

They can stuff it. I have Windows 10 on ONE system, because it was that or keep 8, which is worse, and I LOATHE it. All other computers, we purchased used with Win 7, and will NOT upgrade, ever. I'd prefer Vista, to be honest, but you can't get it anymore. Microsoft can go out of business, as far as I am concerned. Even their "support" bites. Had an issue with a FREE game from their store, and was told I had to PAY for support to "fix" the issue with the free game. Lots of people experienced the same thing. It's all a scam.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: badw0lf

originally posted by: charlyv

originally posted by: Tempter

originally posted by: Finspiracy

originally posted by: toysforadults
I highly recommend Linux Mint for first time users.

Exactly what i recommend too. And for those readers who think "i can't learn to use a new operating system" well it is extremely easy to keep mint updated and also customize it.

I don't recommend any Linux distribution for home use. At least not for the average person, anyways.

I would recommend Centos7, essentially RedHat but with only user and community support.
In fact, you can load up VMWorkstation and put a guest of Centos7 up very easily. Best of both worlds.

In a world made out of molasses.

People are either just running firefox and nothing else, or have a bazillion dollar machine.

Mum and dad were happy with windows xp. Telling them to run vmware, or get all tecchie at a terminal? Who's gonna be the one on the phone every day.

Hell, even if it's just for you, when you have to compile your own software because the software isn't in a package, and you get nothing but dependency errors, you are not going to be the average desktop click'n'player...

good OS, to be sure, linux. most modern variants. but they don't play well with the internet a lot of the time, or software you are used to, is vague and confusing. and wine? back to XP. idk...

I am not talking the average user here, mainly geared at a way for people to learn Linux on the same box they run Windows on, and the ability to run Linux at the same time in a window. VMWorkstation takes all of the complexity out of what VSphere exposes and is essentially turnkey. You do not need to know much about virtualization to get a Centos, Ubuntu or Suise guest up and running. People should never stop learning about what they can do on a relatively cheap PC.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Only chance to save many people from hands of Windows is to find more c, asm, cpp developers to ReactOS. Linux is too messy and divided to get good usable standards in place.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Windows 10 S is currently aimed towards the education market and newer low end devices. So it will not affect anyone who already has Windows 10 installed. People just need to pay attention to what version of Windows 10 is installed on future purchases.

But lets not pretend like Windows 10 S is not a glimpse into the future Microsoft wants. A future where you can only use their browser and only use programs/apps purchased in the Windows Store. So they will always get a cut of the profits.

edit on 19-5-2017 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 23 2017 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Unfortunately Windows 10 is pretty much a requirement for any business running up-to-date equipment. Pain in the butt to turn off all the ad related crap and data-gathering. I certainly hope that the S version isn't something they are planning over time to because their flagship product. They already have been trying to funnel everyone into Windows 10 (I have never seen such an aggressive OS push by MS.. for free, no less) and now Edge (newest "creator" update puts an annoying Edge tab in your IE 11).. they push their crappy store.. I am getting tired quickly of MS in the last couple of years.

For the record, 10 runs solid. I just don't like their ridiculous push, their pushes for ads now in this latest release, their data gathering you can't opt out of, etc.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join