It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Introducing Windows 10 S

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 10:56 PM
link   
No this isn't a joke people. Windows is releasing a "secure" OS. Yay! Apparently you can only use MS Edge as a browser in this rebrand.

Microsoft

Windows 10 S is a specific configuration of Windows 10 Pro that offers a familiar, productive Windows experience that’s streamlined for security and performance. By exclusively using apps in the Windows Store and ensuring that you browse safely with Microsoft Edge, Windows 10 S keeps you running fast and secure day in and day out.

Apparently they removed all the alleged autonomy that Windows provides to create a more secure cloud experience for it's less technically savvy operators.

Thanks Windows!

Now sign up for the 3 month free trial of Linux Academy in Microsoft's Visual Studio platform and do yourself a favor. Also Code Academy offers a very simplified version of Linux training that shows you how to navigate directories and read and open files.

I highly recommend Linux Mint for first time users.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Windows 10 S(ucks) They finally let out the truth. Once you shut off most of the apps running in windows 10, it is ok, but it still sucks, I always run ccleaner before shutting it off and use a lot of those optional checkboxes.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 11:14 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I upgraded, didn't last 2 hours before I went back to 7.

Since I'm done gaming I may just switch to Kali and run Server as my MS OS for things I need it for.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 11:23 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults

My wife has Linux on her laptop. I would use it but I can't get into all the research sites I go to with Linux for some reason. I suppose I could do the patches to get it to work, but it isn't worth monkeying around. I have to turn off cortana every update, I just have to open the directory, then save the settings and it turns off again.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 11:38 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Linux can require somr effort.

Still worth it.

Plus Linus Torvalds is an amazing example of what can be accomplished through the open source project..

If you don't know the story I'll create a post about it.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 11:40 PM
link   
No, I got the comprehensive update, and am posting on Chrome at this moment.

Edge pops up with the Windows update help and info, which seems like normal business practice.

I'm pretty sure anti-trust disallows them from "fixing" the OS to a certain browser. Remember how old PCs were packaged, with several different browsers pre-loaded.

Anyway, it works fine. There's tons of malware floating around now, it'd be crazy not to accept updates. Not to jinx it, but my PC has been great for many years without sending Microsoft any cash at all.
edit on 17-5-2017 by FlyingFox because: freedom

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 11:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

Exactly what i recommend too. And for those readers who think "i can't learn to use a new operating system" well it is extremely easy to keep mint updated and also customize it.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Oops, I guess my comments are not about Windows 10 Pro, just the "comprehensive update".

link   
Oops, I guess my comments are not about Windows 10 Pro, just the "comprehensive update".

link   

originally posted by: Finspiracy

Exactly what i recommend too. And for those readers who think "i can't learn to use a new operating system" well it is extremely easy to keep mint updated and also customize it.

I don't recommend any Linux distribution for home use. At least not for the average person, anyways.

posted on May, 17 2017 @ 11:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Tempter

Ok. May i ask why? I really am not that much of a computer wizard. Yeah i spend a lot of time on my computer but that does not mean i know too much about them.
edit on 17-5-2017 by Finspiracy because: grammar error

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 12:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tempter

originally posted by: Finspiracy

I don't recommend any Linux distribution for home use. At least not for the average person, anyways.

I would recommend Centos7, essentially RedHat but with only user and community support.
In fact, you can load up VMWorkstation and put a guest of Centos7 up very easily. Best of both worlds.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 12:42 AM
link   
You can install and run Linux programs in Windows 10 without Wine, Windows has had the ability for quite some time, it has the core of a Linux edition installed in a layer in Windows.

Have a look in the Add Features section in Windows and look for the Linux bit...

Here:

imgur.com...
edit on 18-5-2017 by MuonToGluon because: Added Content

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 05:27 AM
link   
That's good news for security, I'm old school cause my computer is still on window 8.1 lol.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Geez. Every year I hate Microsoft more.
Taking a quick look around, it appears you are correct.
I see other information saying that Windows 10 S will limit which programs can be installed, limiting to what is in the MS Store.
How in the world can that work in a business environment?
I see lawsuits coming.

I do see that it looks like Windows 10 Pro will NOT be affected.
I hope that is true.

edit on 5/18/17 by BlueAjah because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/18/17 by BlueAjah because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 05:58 AM
link   
a reply to: BlueAjah

The funny part is they tried to make Win 10 developer friendly by adding bash so developers no longer require cygwin.

It's still MS though so I just kind of lol'd at that one.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 06:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueAjah

Geez. Every year I hate Microsoft more.
Taking a quick look around, it appears you are correct.
I see other information saying that Windows 10 S will limit which programs can be installed, limiting to what is in the MS Store.
How in the world can that work in a business environment?
I see lawsuits coming.

I do see that it looks like Windows 10 Pro will NOT be affected.
I hope that is true.

Lawsuits? What are you talking about?

It's just another edition of Windows designed for devices.:

Windows 10 S is a feature-limited edition of Windows 10 designed primarily for low-end devices in the education market, to launch later in 2017. It has a faster initial setup and login process, and allows devices to be provisioned using a USB drive with the "Set Up School PCs" app. Users can only install software from Windows Store and system settings are locked to only allow Microsoft Edge as the default web browser with Bing as its search engine. The operating system may be upgraded to Windows 10 Pro for a fee to enable unrestricted software installation. All Windows 10 S devices will include a free one-year subscription to Minecraft: Education Edition. Critics have compared the edition to Windows RT, and have considered it to be a competitor to Chrome OS.

Windows 10 Editions

Does anyone here on ATS do a little search before they comment? How hard is it to type something in and click enter and read for 30 seconds, just about every browser has a search box in them, why don't people use it? It just makes people look very lazy and bad.

The funny part is they tried to make Win 10 developer friendly by adding bash so developers no longer require cygwin.

It's still MS though so I just kind of lol'd at that one.

What? Do you even know what powershell is and how long it has been in Windows for before 10? Oh jeez, come on, lease educate yourself, you are very very wrong.

Windows 10 even has a Linux subsystem allowing you install any and all Linux programs you want, you have no idea what you are talking about and want to make it sound like a bad thing.
edit on 18-5-2017 by MuonToGluon because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 06:25 AM
link   
Most large businesses don't use 10 we have 7 Pro and will for a few more years. Win 10 is great at home but to buy software for work would cost millions and crate havoc everywhere. We have 200,000 people world wide that have to communicate so it's always baby steps.

I just purchased 10 refurb laptops with XP Pro a couple of month ago because our software license wanted $7k each for 6 licenses for their new version so I bought the computers for less than a grand and will be good for a few years till I'm gone.

Money saved and a bonus for me!

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 06:29 AM
link   

The control over humanity has begun. It's a sad day for us all.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 07:04 AM
link   
a reply to: MuonToGluon

you're wasting your time. bashing microsoft is even more popular here than bashing Trump/Clinton/whatever. every single related thread is basically full with BS and FUD, nothing else. let them all move to linux, as soon as they'll try to use it for something else than trolling on forums, they'll be back on windows in no time.

a reply to: mikell

XP? right. you'll get your bonus as soon as new malware wipes those out thanks to some unpatched vulnerability that microsoft doesn't have to patch, because the OS is, you know, unsupported. thanks to people like you working in the IT departments, businesses are loosing tons of cash in the long run. spending money on security sure as hell isn't popular, but that's the right thing to do, not looking after your own short-term profits while jeopardizing the security in the long run. you should be fired.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join