It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is planetary population going from 7 billion to 9 billion a good thing?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

Put simply... the answer to your question is : No it isn't a good thing.

We have enough problems here with 7 billion people such as over-populated cities, pollution, murder, famine, disease, forestry depletion, low drinking water.. etc etc I could go on but I won't.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 07:48 AM
link   
If that were to happen Op it's not a good thing..

BUT

Quite the opposite is going to occur soon. Planet X will likely wipe out 80-90% of the population, certainly as most line near or on the coast.

I am a humanitarian at heart but things are out of control on this planet, and I see the passage of Planet X as a necessary progression and the only remedy for the world's ailments.

Things will be better afterward (general comment) I am positive about this.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Over population of this planet is the single most important issue we face.

Pollution, jobs, food, housing, energy everything.

We need balance, not culture

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX
10b is a nice number with a high tech environment
10b in abject poverty (say India or the like) is asking for trouble. 10b in some glass skyscraper city being the norm in the center of the ocean and in space stations would be fantastic...more actually if we hit space.

with any luck, in a hundred or two years, we will span this star system and perhaps our neighbor with numbers in the hundreds of billions...if everything goes right.

All comes down to how. For now, the planet is struggling to accommodate what we have, but we are rapidly inventing our way out of the major dangers
Necessity fuels innovation.

This is my thinking. We need to have either Stellarator fusion or LFTR fission reactors to have enough clean, safe, and cheap energy to keep the masses out of poverty. Also, you need enough energy to allow culture to thrive. The Internet was invented with 5 or 6 billion. At 10 billion we should get some really nice technologies. Maybe FTL or antigravity cars. Something that would change the world like the Internet has done.

edit on 15-5-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 08:33 AM
link   
All depends where the population growth is occurring, right? If it's in India/China/Africa/Middle East say hello to more pollution and more wars and more starvation. If it's in South America/North America, Europe, Russia it won't affect the planet much.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI

Over population of this planet is the single most important issue we face.

Pollution, jobs, food, housing, energy everything.

We need balance, not culture

Your point of view is the conventional wisdom. But look at this Ted talk about requirements needed for solving the exact same problems with moon base:

www.ted.com...

This is a solvable problem with the technology we know already exists and works. It's just a question of political will so maybe it is impossible.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi
All depends where the population growth is occurring, right? If it's in India/China/Africa/Middle East say hello to more pollution and more wars and more starvation. If it's in South America/North America, Europe, Russia it won't affect the planet much.

I thought this Ted talk gave a really good insight into poverty in Africa:

www.ted.com...

I think the problem we have in the world is the old way of thinking of having factory workers. We need to have culture workers so we have enough meaningful economy to eliminate poverty. I think valuing culture is the first step to the next level of prosperity. We are very close to having 100% factory automation for everything conceivable manufactured good. We already have 7 billion people on the planet. I think population reduction is the wrong approach. The more people we have the richer the culture. Culture leads to new discovers and more fun things to do. I think we need governments to subsidize culture work to keep the economy going.

edit on 15-5-2017 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   

How about taking a more scientific approach to the problem?

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: GodEmperor

How about taking a more scientific approach to the problem?

Right on! Or even a mathematical approach! Supply and Demand

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join