It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is white privilege?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 07:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: FuggleHop
a reply to: openminded2011

Because theirs so much ignorrance about this subject Ill explain it to you.

White privelige is an American phenomenon. Lets put it into a historical context.

If you were indigenous to america you got massacred or shuffled off to a reservation. Because you werent white.

If you were from africa you couldnt vote own land or use white people areas like restaurants water fountains the front of buses etc. And even longer ago you were quite possibly a slave to a privileged white family.

If you were chinese you had to stick to china town.

Some people say white privilege is made up. But there really really ignorant.

Yes, these things happened, but I want to know what it is in 2017.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 07:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: MontySask
white privilege is walking into a gas station at night and having the owner not watch you the entire time, automaticallly assuming you're a thief because you are not white

Thanks

Again I will point out that this is an anecdote of possible bigotry by a gas station owner. Its not an organized systemic structured conspiracy of privilege. It may be a carry over from a time when that did exist.
edit on 14-5-2017 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Wow...

I will admit I could not stomach more than a handful of pages before I had to throw down my thoughts..

So judging by what I read... because less than 1% of white people inherited a lot of money and was giving every break in the book because of the money... all white people benefit from privilege..

Lets ignore the white people living in poverty... or the ones that have to join the military to get out of bad situations, or the ones also in jail for non-violent crimes but are serving longer sentences than rapists.

Wow.. I fully understand that in some places yes certain groups get a raw deal... you go to other places different groups get a raw deal... this one size fits all whitey did it is as stupid as saying all blacks are gang banger's... A bad stereo type is a bad stereo type.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 08:59 AM
link   
White privilege is your white great grandpa inheriting a home, land, gas station, political seat and textile mill while blacks were just figuring out how to remo those pesky shackles they were mysteriously born with.

White privilege doesn't exist? Are you people INSANE?

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: BigBangWasAnEcho
White privilege is your white great grandpa inheriting a home, land, gas station, political seat and textile mill while blacks were just figuring out how to remo those pesky shackles they were mysteriously born with.

So if my great grandparents did not live here and I am a first generation American, do I still have the vaunted Willy P advantage?

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 10:36 AM
link   

A statistic.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

because if you change the ethnicity of the 4 people and the same actions occur then it can`t be white privilege.

for example if 2 of the people were Asians, and 2 were Hispanic, if any of those people stood quietly while any of the other people called an administrator then no white privilege was involved because there were no "white" people there.

maybe you would call it Asian privilege or hispanic privilege?

or what if the same thing happened but all 4 people were black, would that be considered black privilege?

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 11:13 AM
link   

It seems as if the debate is going both ways about how something that knowingly happened and how it pertains to the circumstances of today, or how something that knowingly happened and that it does not pertain to the circumstances of today. One side of this debate feels that it's never been an even playing field... and that they are living in the consequences of past poor decision of those who influence all. The other side of the debate feels that none of us personally had an attachment to the decisions of past, so the playing field has been even for many decades now.

I understand and have empathy for both sides of this debate, but when it's clear as day that the middle class is disappearing at rapid rates, the ongoing lingering affects of legacies going unchecked becomes an ever growing reality. This country was not set up to see sons of former presidents become president, or wives of former presidents to run for president, or 5 of the top 10 wealthiest counties in the U.S. house our policy makers... not makers of goods. How can people deny and avoid the influence and legacy steered tyrannies non stop? It does not speak for all, but it usually comes down to their own attachment to finances and or the legacy driven system.

en.wikipedia.org...

The title of the thread should be 'Green Privilege', because that's what all these scenes of civil unrest are about... it's RICH VS. POOR masked in media as WHITE VS. BLACK. If people are twisting it into a racial divide issue, then it just plays into the hands that the media will have you thinking what they want.

I sit in cultures of all walks of life... we are happy and poor people. Never ever do we even have to offer a shed of thought to racial divide. The groups that speak of divide are operating out of legacy steered campaigns... that speaks for both rich and poor people.

Dividing by color is merely establishing that the land fill is there off in a distance... but not relevant because it's not directly affecting one self. Dividing by financial ways is establishing the contents of the landfill and how it may directly affect the entire environment of Earth... not just how it may affect us directly.

en.wikipedia.org...

Between generations[edit] The Great Gatsby Curve.png Several studies have found the ability of children from poor or middle-class families to rise to upper income – known as "upward relative intergenerational mobility" – is lower in the US than in other developed countries[139] – and at least two economists have found lower mobility linked to income inequality.[48][140]

edit on 14-5-2017 by ttobban because: added link

edit on 14-5-2017 by ttobban because: added link

edit on 14-5-2017 by ttobban because: added comments...

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I think the answer to this is that as far as social mobility goes, economic class is a far bigger determiner by individual. There is intersectionality between race and socio-economic class, but a person's familial socio-economic class has the highest association with later opportunity. This is due to nutrition, health, education, political, financial, and other forms of capital (social, economic, political).

As I put in another post, while it may be true that the bell curve for white privilege (meaning socio-economic) has a higher average/median than let's say for black people, the ends overlap and there are black individuals who have more total privilege, as defined above, than some destitute whites.

This is something that identity politics folks cannot acknowledge.
edit on 14-5-2017 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

So if my great grandparents did not live here and I am a first generation American, do I still have the vaunted Willy P advantage?

According to identity politics yes, because you will accrue some kind of unseen advantage as you move through the system.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   

That's not a good definition, because it denies that some people of color inherit land or money, or give jobs or influence to those close to them.

As far as politics, I live in NYC and am somewhat connected to the political world. There are a lot of minority politicians or gov professionals whose children or friends get favors. I've seen personally the children of minority politicians be given good jobs out of nowhere. So your political point doesn't work either.

I think a better point is that those who have economic and political power, confer privilege on their friends or children.

A major mistake people make is thinking that your average restaurant manager who is white, or school teacher who is white, or local business owner who is white, are able to exercise much power of any kind.

It's really about that upper class and real power people, that can confer privilege and pull strings.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
its the simple denial that there are any racial bias ever in policing, traffic stops, misdemeanor max sentences, jobs, promotions, airBnB, etc...

if you really want to see if there is a privilege, simply have a non-white friend, preferably black, apply for an airBnB house, and if he gets declined, you, a non-black person, apply for the same airBnB.

or go near your local 7-11, have a friend call 911 for a suspicious male. you stand on the left side of the 7-11 and have a black friend stand on the right side and record whom the police approach first.

then look up the word privilege again in the dictionary.

then go fill out any government forms, and try to see which race doesnt have a word prepending their race.

Or apply for a school or scholarship.

Or apply for a government job.

Oh wait, you mean being black advantages you in those situations?

Surely not, that goes against your narrative.

Maybe it's much more complicated than you are letting on.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   
More excuses, more smoke screen for the brainwashed peons to be distracted by. Because that's all they want, is to be distracted, to fill that empty void they call a conscience . We all know who the enemy is. People lack the tools to understand how to fight, or to battle this enemy. See you at the end of the line.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14
According to identity politics yes, because you will accrue some kind of unseen advantage as you move through the system.

Since I already moved through the system they can bill me.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 05:54 PM
link   
White privilege is another term liberals made up cause most of their ideas are too stupid to defend at face value

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 06:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

It's also not a good definition because while it is true that some people inherit these things from preceding generations, it ignores that upward mobility does not continue on and on forever. Upward mobility and downward mobility are both very possible.

Maybe Great-Grandpa Dale did inherit a gas station, but what if it was a Sinclair station on Route 66? Do you think ole' Great-Grandpa Dale still had a lot of upward mobility from that venture?

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 06:11 PM
link   

My great white grandpa didn't inherit jack #.

His father came over from Czechoslovakia, dirt poor, mustered everything he could to produce a decent home, then my grandfather ended up enlisting in the marine core, fighting the Nazis, became an expert safe cracker, built his own business and lived a good life until passing away from Alzheimers. And his white children in no way went on to inherit his home or gas station of business.

I'm curious what world you live in. You sound quite racist. Why is that?

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Is this thread another "proud of my country" thread?

Where if you didn't do jack for the country, you can't take pride in it for someone else's work?

Wouldn't that include not taking the bad that someone else did, like slavery, racism, wars or white privilege?

Just wondering.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 06:30 PM
link   

What is white privilege?

You mean people who act civilized to one another and stay out of trouble?

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 06:34 PM
link   
The term white privilege was invented by the real racists in media, who have always pretended to defend minorities, but have been the ones behind their continued oppression by propping up a huge conspiracy of racism that otherwise would not exist within the scope of what they have said exists. They and those co-opted by them have implanted with "pull the race card" idea whenever they are losing any argument. A very interesting social engineering experiment, although very ugly and diabolical in nature, done by people with evil in their hearts.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join