It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is white privilege?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Racism is a frequent but not neccessary condition of white privilege.

THe only necessary condition of white privilege is being white. You can be poor as dirt and still have white privilege. Whether you like it or not, whether you believe it or not.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

Racism is a frequent but not neccessary condition of white privilege.

THe only necessary condition of white privilege is being white. You can be poor as dirt and still have white privilege. Whether you like it or not, whether you believe it or not.

But why is such a deal made of white privledge?

There is black, male, female, wealthy, attractive, victim, power, age, asian, christian, muslim, and many more types of priveledge.

Depending on the time, location and circumstance, all of these privileges shift. So where all all of the people complaining about privlege when blacks get advantages in universities? Why are there no classes discussing the evils of blackness?

In fact, just by being alive in this era we are all more privleged than 99.9 percent of all humans that have ever lived. If you were born in the US that puts you near the top one percent of that .1 percent.

Yet only white privlwge needs to be acknowledged and begged forgiveness for.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: openminded2011

I agree with you OP, but I do see privilege here in California from time to time. I define privilege as those who had everything handed to them, and everything paid for them. My wife and I had friends whose parents not only paid for their college but paid for their cars, rent, clothes, food, etc. One of these friends her parents bought her a condo to live in while in law school, and let her rent it out when she moved, as it was hers to keep.
THAT to me is privilege, but guess what, their parents worked hard to be able to provide that for their kids, and ultimately I have no right to their hard earned money, nor do I deserve to be treated the same. Ultimately I am jealous lol and not all of them were white either!
edit on 5/15/2017 by AnonymousMoose because: derp

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: AnonymousMoose
Sometimes it is such a part of the way people think, behave, and respond, without any deliberate thought.

It is not due to a hatred of people of color, it is due to an unconscious bias, based on an accepted societal norm, that has been in place for centuries.

This lady tries to explain it but it is not an easy thing to explain. Coming from a Heinz 57 family, I have seen it in action.

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 09:05 PM
link   

I wish I could give that post a donation... great addition and points!!!

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 09:55 PM
link   

This store has a whole book of bad checks? And a policy to deal with it? Sounds like an organized check kiting operation.

It's possible that the cashier doesn't talk to anyone first, and really did recognize the first woman because she is the one who always talks to the cashier.

If the whiter looking woman had never been asked for ID ever before, then that would have been good evidence to mention in the video.

The implication is that the whiter looking woman was also asked for ID before and now knows the cashier.

Otherwise, why leave out the best evidence of discrimination?

posted on May, 15 2017 @ 10:53 PM
link   

That story sounds like complete BS agenda driven nonsense to me. I worked in retail for 8 years and never ever heard of any such policy whatsoever. The ONLY way this story could even be remotely true is if it was in some mom and pop store in the backwoods of some place not resembling America. Or, it was a total lie to push the lefty agenda where white people in the 21st century are public enemy #1.

Made up sob stories of "white privilege" are becoming the new cool thing to do for people who want to see America destroyed.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 06:20 AM
link   
a reply to: openminded2011

So.... are you WILLFULLY stupid, ignorant, and uninformed? or does it just sort of come naturally?

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 08:09 AM
link   
I realise this thread is probably aimed at Americans but I would like to give my input as a white SOuth African.

White South Africans continuously get called out for 'white privilege'. Yet, if anything the reverse is now true in SOuth Africa.
BBEEE (Black Business Econimic Empowerment Equity), now in full force in RSA, is clearly a black privilege. My company for example refuse to hire white people as a result of this now. 23 years after we have become a democracy and still the MAJORITY (black) of the population need a scheme to help them. A crutch if you will. All while many black people are not just profiting, but absolute screwing the system through vast amounts of corruption, nepotism and backhanded tender deals.

Black people in South Africa have convinced themselves that only white people can be racist and therefore they refer to us as pale pigs. Please tell me what white privilege I have in a country that demands blacks own all the economy and has put in place measures to force other races out of it. What white privilege can I have when our sports teams have to have a certain number of black individuals in the team regardless of their ability.

Inspite of the fact that the Government has spent millions on developing houses (admittedly nowhere near what it could have done in the time passed) and that millions have been housed, fed and clothed with MY tax money yet they still choose to live in their own #. I would say it isn't about white privilege at all.

I'll leave this here because it perfectly describes the situation.

Ineptocracy - a definition

Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Saibotkram1988

What is the black/white ratio of employees in your company (just curious) and when did this hiring practice start?

It looks like this has more to do with restorative justice than anything else.

overcomingapartheid.msu.edu...

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 08:28 AM
link   
What is white privilege?

A political neologism made up by the party of the donkey to use as an excuse to rob from the rich and give to the poor.

In a nutshell.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

I think this may be part of the problem.

I think that many want to turn a blind eye and a deaf ear to the under current of white supremacy that flows as an under current through history. Not just in American but in every place where Whites have or once colonized.

Those people that were subjected to the enslavement or was indentured by White supremacy, especially those that tried through appropriation, I hate that word, let's use assimilation, found that it didn't matter how good they were at any particular thing, or even how much money they had, they where never going to wake up in the morning and suddenly be white, so they would always be considered, less than their peers, by the majority of the White society.

You can't right that by suddenly switching positions. The only way for there to be restorative justice is to start from today. Not by trying to right the past.

Again, this is just my not so humble opinion.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 08:44 AM
link   

You can't right that by suddenly switching positions. The only way for there to be restorative justice is to start from today. Not by trying to right the past. Again, this is just my not so humble opinion.

It is not a matter of switching positions, it is a matter of equal access even though there may be a veil of equality or rather an equal but still separate reality.

And this too is my not so humble opinion.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 08:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

You can't right that by suddenly switching positions. The only way for there to be restorative justice is to start from today. Not by trying to right the past. Again, this is just my not so humble opinion.

It is not a matter of switching positions, it is a matter of equal access even though there may be a veil of equality or rather an equal but still separate reality.

I think by equal access you probably mean equal outcome, not equal opportunity.

If not, explain to me what laws in the US take away from a persons opportunity for not being white.

I can name laws and regulations that do give advantages however for not being white, such as increased benefits for university enrollment, housing opportunities, etc. The justification for these racist policies is that is will lead to equality of outcome.

The idea of the government forcing an equality of outcomes based on race is racist, and tyranny. It leads to situations like South Africa where people are being forced out of their own property based only on their skin color.

Again I will mention, there are all sorts of privileges that come and go based on situations. The one thing we know is that just about everyone alive today is historically one of the most privileged humans to ever live.

So why focus on only "white privilege"? Could it be that this is motivated for dislike of white people?

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 08:52 AM
link   

To answer both your questions the percentage is something like 65% black 10% white 25% Coloured (mixed race, sorry we call them coloureds here and it is not a racist term) and the rest is Asian/Indian.

The equal access has been there for over 20 years now. The problem with BBEEE is that on paper it was a brilliant idea. One that could restore some equality to a broken nation. But it has been misused and abused by blacks in power. Which only leads to further inequality and more resentment. The symptoms of this are rather scary.

We are currently experiencing the highest percentage of attacks on white farm owners since 1990. In 1990 it was because the white man was oppressing them. In 2017 it is because the black men at the top have convinced the rest of them that taking back land is a right. Despite the evidence of Zimbabwe showing how dangerous that can be. Not to mention the fact that now we have a nation full of people who expect to own land simply bewcause a white person now has it and that 400 years ago 'white people came and stole the land'.... Which is obviously rubbish because if you look at the migration of ALL the people here NONE of us are actually from here except the Khoi San.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

I can name laws and regulations that do give advantages however for not being white, such as increased benefits for university enrollment, housing opportunities, etc. The justification for these racist policies is that is will lead to equality of outcome.

Doesn't the fact that these regulations which give 'advantages'(? - I would say equal access) were required to be put in place shed light on the fact of an underlying, historical and systematic inequality?

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: NightSkyeB4Dawn

I think this may be part of the problem.

I think that many want to turn a blind eye and a deaf ear to the under current of white supremacy that flows as an under current through history. Not just in American but in every place where Whites have or once colonized.

Those people that were subjected to the enslavement or was indentured by White supremacy, especially those that tried through appropriation, I hate that word, let's use assimilation, found that it didn't matter how good they were at any particular thing, or even how much money they had, they where never going to wake up in the morning and suddenly be white, so they would always be considered, less than their peers, by the majority of the White society.

You can't right that by suddenly switching positions. The only way for there to be restorative justice is to start from today. Not by trying to right the past.

Again, this is just my not so humble opinion.

Exactly!!! By trying to right the wrong of the past, all you end up doing is creating a new type of resentment in the current generation.

We now sit with a population of young white people who have limited to zero working opportunity because of a system they were not even alive to influence. Not that many ordinary white people had any say in Apartheid anyway.

There is a massive expectancy being bred in this country. An expectancy that if you are black the white man owes you... big time. You should not have to work for land, it should be given to you. You should not have to pay for electricity, the white man must pay for it. Of course the problems run much deeper than this too though. And I am not trying to over simplify or belittle the struggle that non-whites in SA have endured but we have now worked our way into a reverse Apartheid situation and nobody is saying anything about it, simply because it has no real term or name.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 09:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Saibotkram1988

Past history cannot be dismissed because it is part and parcel of the evolution of societal systems and all that is good and not so good to this day.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 09:13 AM
link   

a reply to: Grambler

Doesn't the fact that these regulations which give 'advantages'(? - I would say equal access) were required to be put in place shed light on the fact of an underlying, historical and systematic inequality?

No not at all.

Equal access means equal access, period.

If laws are passed that favor people based on skin color, then the door is open to escalate this. That is what is happening in South Africa. It starts off saying one race should be given more access than others to services like schools or housing based only on their color, and it ends with kicking other races out of their homes. This is more than equal access.

And even if white people deserve this, why for example should people of asian ethnicity be punished even more in things like SAT scores for access to colleges? I guess they are just another necessary causality for in the quest for equality.

Again, explain to me what laws exist that prevent non whites from getting equal access to anything in the US today. Name me just one law.

And how far back should we go in this quest for equality? This may come as a shock to you, but are you aware that people other than whites have also conquered lands, had slaves, and engaged in brutal behavior, and that even white people have had ancestors that were treated unjustly?

Government should not exist to try to remedy atrocities from generations ago. They should provide equal access to services for everyone, not more access to some based on skin color.

posted on May, 16 2017 @ 09:22 AM
link   
That is why we have to learn from it.

It is not so hard to see inequality when you are the victim. When you are the perpetrator, you are just the good guy, doing what is necessary to take care of your own or worse, avenge your own.

That is why it is called "his story". The old adage, "To the victor goes the spoils", is just another why of saying he that is on top gets it all, and those that the victor considers conquered, have to be happy with whatever they are so generously supplied.

We can learn from the past, we don't have to perpetuate it or relive it.

edit on 16-5-2017 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join