It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is white privilege?

page: 13
<< 10  11  12   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Maroboduus

No, but obviously you are for posting this rant without any explanation for your assertion.

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: openminded2011
After reading several posts on the subject, I realized that there is always this assertion of white privilege,

You're speeding down the highway, going above the speed limit, and a cop pulls you over.

He says, do you realise you were going above the speed limit?

You say, sorry officer, I didn't notice it, I was in a hurry to get home to my wife who called me to say she is going into labor.

Officer says, very well, I'll let you off with just a warning this time. Slow down, next time you'll get a ticket.

That's white privilege.

If you're non-white, you get the ticket right there and then. There's no warning.

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 08:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0racle
a reply to: InTheLight

The theory that white people are more likely to benefit from a historically white Civilisation because they are white.

Taking this logic further it would mean that black people in historically black Africa are privileged and white people in Africa underprivileged due to their skin color. Which is not the case.

posted on Jul, 28 2017 @ 10:20 PM
link   
a reply to: EnduranceArtist

In the future it might be true.

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 01:25 AM
link   

After reading several posts on the subject, I realized that there is always this assertion of white privilege, but no real concrete examples to back it up, the examples that are given are unusually anecdotes of discrimination, which really falls under bigotry and not implication of some sort of privilege for white people. So here is your chance, please give examples of what you consider to be white privilege in modern society. I should concede that I do not believe it exists; the vast majority of white people in 2017 are struggling to survive just like any other group or race of people. But I would like to understand the perspective that I am somehow privileged; that I get some kind of perks because of my skin color. Again, do not confuse being the victim of bigotry with the implication of white privilege. There is bigotry against white people as well, so they certainly do not have privileged status in that case. Please enlighten us with your definition of white privilege.

What isn't whit(e) privilege, as a white women I see it every day, every where.

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 03:30 AM
link   
What about Indian privledge?

Have you ever seen an Indian person arrested?

Have you ever met an Indian that didn't have a high paying job?

Think about it.

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: AMPTAH

After reading several posts on the subject, I realized that there is always this assertion of white privilege,

You're speeding down the highway, going above the speed limit, and a cop pulls you over.

He says, do you realise you were going above the speed limit?

You say, sorry officer, I didn't notice it, I was in a hurry to get home to my wife who called me to say she is going into labor.

Officer says, very well, I'll let you off with just a warning this time. Slow down, next time you'll get a ticket.

That's white privilege.

If you're non-white, you get the ticket right there and then. There's no warning.

Except that's not what happens. I have gotten plenty of tickets through the years without a warning.

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

After reading several posts on the subject, I realized that there is always this assertion of white privilege, but no real concrete examples to back it up, the examples that are given are unusually anecdotes of discrimination, which really falls under bigotry and not implication of some sort of privilege for white people. So here is your chance, please give examples of what you consider to be white privilege in modern society. I should concede that I do not believe it exists; the vast majority of white people in 2017 are struggling to survive just like any other group or race of people. But I would like to understand the perspective that I am somehow privileged; that I get some kind of perks because of my skin color. Again, do not confuse being the victim of bigotry with the implication of white privilege. There is bigotry against white people as well, so they certainly do not have privileged status in that case. Please enlighten us with your definition of white privilege.

What isn't whit(e) privilege, as a white women I see it every day, every where.

Please give specific examples. Generalizations about a people based on their skin color is bigotry.

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: AMPTAH

I've been in the car with a person with black skin that was pulled over, was polite and respectful and got off with a warning. So where does that leave your hypothetical?

Oh wait, never mind, I have white skin, I'm guessing he just benefited from my white privilege.

Addendum: To make things clear white privilege "exists" but not to the point discrimination towards people born white at no fault of their own is required in any way to make up for it. You cannot create equality through discrimination, equality can only come by uplifting others to an equal standing, not by trying to switch rolls. No amount of discrimination towards whites due to their skin color will "balance the scales" and fix inequality, it will simply be shifting the inequality and solve nothing.
edit on 7/29/2017 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

Yep, I've been in the car with an otherwise white looking man who committed the signal crime of accidentally rolling through a four-way he knows is there, catching himself halfway through the intersection and trying to stop, realizing he was halfway out and rolling on through, in a sleepy, tiny town and then being run down about mile outside of town by the cop under full lights and siren ... on Easter Sunday morning no less.

Not only did we get the mix ticket penalty, but when the cop discovered that our insurance card was a month expired (we had not replaced it with the current one), he then threatened to arrest my husband right then and there! We had a toddler in the car too. I don't know ... maybe he could smell my husband's Native American blood?

Husband had to get our proof of current insurance on Easter Sunday morning to avoid being arrested on top of a fat ticket ... all because he missed a four-way stop be usually never does miss on the way to visit family.

So much for so-called white privilege.

posted on Jul, 29 2017 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0racle

*snip*

So like what were really talking about here is the slavery period up to the civil rights period where white poor people had more opportunity than black (ex-slave) poor people... and the impact of that...

im tired and still on the fence.. ill come back to this later.

I was reading some about his a while ago, maybe I can help a little. Essentially, there was widespread poverty before the war on poverty--the time period being before ~1960. Essentially the rise in wealth between whites and blacks has been unchanged even to this day. Essentially poverty has decreased for everyone, but the gaps between the different peoples is similar.

I also read about how desegregation might have been bad in some circumstances and also how segregation still exists today in many places.

So it seems the fight for civil rights, anti-discrimination laws and the war on poverty weren't successful in creating equality in the amounts we desired. So there're renewed attempts to create more eqaulity. This is why things like unconscious racism are a thing now. For example, studies show doctors treat black patients worse than white without being aware of it. Similar things happen with black judges or laywers being treated differently in the judicial system, despite aggressive anti-racism policies.

EDIt: sigh, i'll try to cite some references below to be more complete:
www.washingtonpost.com - These ten charts show the black-white economic gap hasn’t budged in 50 years...
www.epi.org - For Public Schools, Segregation Then, Segregation Since...
www.brookings.edu - Segregation and concentrated poverty in the nation’s capital...
www.nytimes.com - Affluent and Black, and Still Trapped by Segregation...
www.pbs.org - From Both Sides Of The Bench - Is The System Race Biased?...
www.theguardian.com - 'Black judge effect': study of overturning rates questions if justice is really blind...
papers.ssrn.com - The Visible Hand: Race and Online Market Outcomes...
www.psychologytoday.com - Studies of Unconscious Bias: Racism Not Always by Racists...
health.usnews. com - Racial Bias in Medicine Leads to Worse Care for Minorities...
news.harvard.edu - Yale professor examines unconscious biases by whites...

You'll have to copy/past this one, ATS doesn't allow internet archive links (after pasting, add a 't' to the 2 instances of 'htp' and remove spaces):
htp://web.archive.org/web/20150905152851/htp://www.onbeing.org/program/seeing-poverty-after-katrina/extra/history-poverty-america-chapte r-1/2152

You're searching for this no longer existing link:
www.onbeing.org - A History of Poverty in America: Chapter 1...
By searching here:
archive.org

The writer of "Hisotry of Poverty in America: Chapter 1":
www.davidhilfiker.com - A Mission to Eradicate American Poverty...

EDIT: Anyone know how to post links from internet archive?
edit on 7/29/2017 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 10  11  12   >>

join