It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is white privilege?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 09:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
Here's a good example of white privilege:

"He would have to invent teeth!"

So what is he trying to say?

Black dentists are paid very little? Blacks are not allowed to take out loans and attend dental school? Blacks are unfairly failed out of dental school?

WHY can't his neighbor be a black dentist?

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 11:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: jkm1864
Actually if You go to Africa and see the poverty and filth it can be surmised that the African Americans are the privileged ones in this country.

What?

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 11:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

originally posted by: MysticPearl

originally posted by: Tardacus
There`s no such thing as white privilege which is why nobody can define it or give examples of it.

any definition or example put forth to try to explain it will have to include and apply to ALL "white" people.

if it doesn`t include and apply to poor whites as well as rich whites then it isn`t white privilege.
if it doesn`t include and apply to white people who immigrated here yesterday as well as white people who`s ancestors have been here for hundreds of years, then it isn`t white privilege.
if it doesn`t include and apply to white people who live in big cities as well as rural areas, then it isn`t white privilege.
if it doesn`t include and apply to white people who are conservatives as well as liberals then it isn`t white privilege.
if other ethnic groups, such as Asians, receive 'white privilege" benefits then it isn`t white privilege.

white privilege doesn`t exist it`s just the paranoid delusions of some non white people.

White privilege does apply to ALL whites - rich and poor, young and old, male, female, other.

Then why aren't we as privileged as Asians?

I made a point of stating White Western Privilege. I don't know enough about asian cultures/history to begin to understand how their 'pecking' order is internalized.

When Asians come to the west, to America, and out earn everybody, black or white, it suggests there isn't inherent privilege based on skin color. Skin color is not preventing Asians from having even more success than whites in the west.

What it suggests is culture, namely family values, as the key reason for success or failure.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 11:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tardacus
There`s no such thing as white privilege which is why nobody can define it or give examples of it.

any definition or example put forth to try to explain it will have to include and apply to ALL "white" people.

if it doesn`t include and apply to poor whites as well as rich whites then it isn`t white privilege.
if it doesn`t include and apply to white people who immigrated here yesterday as well as white people who`s ancestors have been here for hundreds of years, then it isn`t white privilege.
if it doesn`t include and apply to white people who live in big cities as well as rural areas, then it isn`t white privilege.
if it doesn`t include and apply to white people who are conservatives as well as liberals then it isn`t white privilege.
if other ethnic groups, such as Asians, receive 'white privilege" benefits then it isn`t white privilege.

white privilege doesn`t exist it`s just the paranoid delusions of some non white people.

White privilege does apply to ALL whites - rich and poor, young and old, male, female, other.

Then why aren't we as privileged as Asians?

I made a point of stating White Western Privilege. I don't know enough about asian cultures/history to begin to understand how their 'pecking' order is internalized.

When Asians come to the west, to America, and out earn everybody, black or white, it suggests there isn't inherent privilege based on skin color. Skin color is not preventing Asians from having even more success than whites in the west.

What it suggests is culture, namely family values, as the key reason for success or failure.

Bingo!

White privilege these days is having to have better SAT scores and High School GPA to be accepted into college among their non white colleagues.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 11:48 PM
link   
a reply to: openminded2011

Because theirs so much ignorrance about this subject Ill explain it to you.

White privelige is an American phenomenon. Lets put it into a historical context.

If you were indigenous to america you got massacred or shuffled off to a reservation. Because you werent white.

If you were from africa you couldnt vote own land or use white people areas like restaurants water fountains the front of buses etc. And even longer ago you were quite possibly a slave to a privileged white family.

If you were chinese you had to stick to china town.

Some people say white privilege is made up. But there really really ignorant.

edit on 13-5-2017 by FuggleHop because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 11:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: FuggleHop
a reply to: openminded2011

Because theirs so much ignorrance about this subject Ill explain it to you.

White privelige is an American phenomenon. Lets put it into a historical context.

If you were indigenous to america you got massacred or shuffled off to a reservation. Because you werent white.

If you were from africa you couldnt vote own land or use white people areas like restaurants water fountains the front of buses etc. And even longer ago you were quite possibly a slave to a privileged white family.

If you were chinese you had to stick to china town.

Some people say white privilege is made up. But there really really ignorant.

So you are saying because these scenarios existed 59 years ago they still exist today? Because if so, you are really really ignorant.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 11:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Throes

Oh okay indian reservations no longer exist.

Descrimination against african americans no longer exists.

Chinatown no longer exists.

Your right I was ignorant.

posted on May, 13 2017 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Oh okay indian reservations no longer exist.

Descrimination against african americans no longer exists.

Chinatown no longer exists.

Your right I was ignorant.

Your argument is stupid. Chinatown exists because migrant Chinese Americans want it to exist. Regardless of that, I don't see anyone having any issues with it existing.

Native American reservations have been around longer than 59 years....so nothing to comment on.

Like I said earlier, an African American has a better shot of being accepted into college than either of my Caucasian sons.

Edited to add that I love Philadelphia's Chinatown. Great place, love the culture and the food is to die for! up:
edit on 14-5-2017 by Throes because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Wow! That's so cool! The minorities have it so good I'll be you totally wish you could be one!

Pull your head out, soldier!

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Wow! That's so cool! The minorities have it so good I'll be you totally wish you could be one!

Pull your head out, soldier!

Great rebuttal. You haven't explained any reason for me to believe minorities are worse off than the any white person current day.

I work with many people of many ethnicities. You know what gets any person ahead? It's not skin color. It's work ethic and skill.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 12:33 AM
link   

No thats not true. Ethic and skill has nothing to do with it.

And I'm sorry your so angry! I hate seeing people constricting so severely.

edit on 14-5-2017 by FuggleHop because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 12:35 AM
link   

No thats not true. Ethic and skill has nothing to do with it.

And I'm sorry your so angry! I hate seeing people constricting so severely.

You aren't making any sense. I'm not angry. Or were you assuming I am angry due to my ethnicity? 😂😂😂

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 12:56 AM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

No - there is no analog in other races. All privilege (western privilege) derives from white privilege. The two cannot be separated.

I disagree. European ancestry does not equal rich & privileged. What you're talking about is class / social privilege. The racial wealth gap seen today has always existed in white society, but before immigration it was a class gap, and poor whites have always had it as bad as poor blacks / browns etc

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 12:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: 0racle
a reply to: FyreByrd

No - there is no analog in other races. All privilege (western privilege) derives from white privilege. The two cannot be separated.

I disagree. European ancestry does not equal rich & privileged. Whayou're talking about is class / social privilege. The racial wealth gap seen today has always existed in white society, but before immigration it was a class gap, and poor whites have always had it as bad as poor blacks / browns etc

Agreed 100%. I will argue that inner city poverty is different than rural poverty as far as upbringing is concerned but at the end of the day priveldge is a class construct and not a racial construct.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 01:19 AM
link   
white privilege is walking into a gas station at night and having the owner not watch you the entire time, automaticallly assuming you're a thief because you are not white

Thanks

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 01:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: MontySask
white privilege is walking into a gas station at night and having the owner not watch you the entire time, automaticallly assuming you're a thief because you are not white

Thanks

So where is Asian American privledge?

Thanks

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 01:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

In the identity politics world, white privilege isn't this stuff and beliefs but this idea that even today, ALL whites somehow accrue unseen benefits from the system, more than other groups. Even if the white person is poor, didn't get an education, parents were effed up, etc. I think it's too simplistic and doesn't really capture the nuances.

I agree with that. It really doesn't capture the nuances....

But there is something to be said for this notion of white privilege.

In the west white people have not suffered historic racial abuse and discrimination. The majority of wealth and power is in white peoples hands. And as a pure matter of statistics, white people are far less likely to face racial discrimination when trying to get a share of that wealth and power.

So that IS a kind of white privilege... But I still have a problem with that phrase because it makes it sound as though all white people have it handed to them on a plate, which is untrue. Were just statically less likely to have it snatched away or prevented from getting it because of our race.

TLDR; White privilege is being less likely to be racially discriminated against in a historically racist, majority white society.

But that leads me to an important question.

Is racial discrimination worse than social / class discrimination in todays worlds?
edit on 14-5-2017 by 0racle because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 03:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: openminded2011
After reading several posts on the subject, I realized that there is always this assertion of white privilege, but no real concrete examples to back it up, the examples that are given are unusually anecdotes of discrimination, which really falls under bigotry and not implication of some sort of privilege for white people. So here is your chance, please give examples of what you consider to be white privilege in modern society. I should concede that I do not believe it exists; the vast majority of white people in 2017 are struggling to survive just like any other group or race of people. But I would like to understand the perspective that I am somehow privileged; that I get some kind of perks because of my skin color. Again, do not confuse being the victim of bigotry with the implication of white privilege. There is bigotry against white people as well, so they certainly do not have privileged status in that case. Please enlighten us with your definition of white privilege.

What is "Beautiful" privilege? Do you realize that there are people out there that are absolutely beautiful? They are the 1% who look nice, can wear any clothes they want, they are appealing and get better jobs than the rest of us. They are unfairly allowed to be what they were born to be. THIS IS NOT FAIR! They need to be taken down a rung or two and the rest of us need places where we don't have to deal with the beautiful. Universities where the beautiful have to hide their faces and not speak.

I want reparations for NOT being beautiful! We need to tax these people and redistribute it to the rest of us. Maybe they should be scarred so they are not too much more beautiful. Take their looks...make us all even and equal.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 04:30 AM
link   
A Marxist inspired myth to push white guilt.The left needs the 'white liberal' after all, if they want to win elections.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Hmm, no white privilege, racism is a crutch used by the weak. Why did no one stand?

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join