It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woman could face jail time for laughing at Jeff Sessions confirmation hearing.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra
a reply to: buster2010

Why is showing respect to everyone else present in the room a bad thing?

What has Sessions done to earn that respect?

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I applaud the disruption. Jeff Sessions is like a hick version of the Keebler elves.
He needs to be disrupted.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: wheresthebody
I just want to clarify that I don't necessarily think she was in the right to cause a disruption, or that she should go without any kind of retribution for her actions, it's the idea of a prison sentence specifically that I find so bewildering.

Yes I might get crap for saying this but ...meh

I could see a few days in jail for this but a year in prison seems a bit excessive for this.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

originally posted by: crazyewok

A woman began laughing during Jeff Sessions' Senate confirmation hearing. She may now be sentenced to a year in prison.

Even though she was there in protest and causing a disruption, facing jail time for this is insane.

I'm so glad that I don't live in america, good luck to you all.

Link

Land of the free my arse.

She can say whatever she wants on "her" free land.
She can't yell fire in a crowded theatre or disrupt a courtroom.

Actually, you CAN yell fire in a crowded theatre. That's a common misconception.

There is no federal law (or state, for that matter) which prohibits such an action. There are other laws which address the RESULT of doing so, however.
edit on 4-5-2017 by Tempter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

originally posted by: crazyewok

A woman began laughing during Jeff Sessions' Senate confirmation hearing. She may now be sentenced to a year in prison.

Even though she was there in protest and causing a disruption, facing jail time for this is insane.

I'm so glad that I don't live in america, good luck to you all.

Link

Land of the free my arse.

She can say whatever she wants on "her" free land.
She can't yell fire in a crowded theatre or disrupt a courtroom.

I watched it on the news and she chuckled, not even real loud, I may have chuckled at the same line myself and I thought a laugh was like a sneeze is not controllable if something suddenly strikes you as funny.
Unless she did more than was shown on the news she did zero to be taken away and prosecuted.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 03:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: SolAquarius
I guess who ever is threatening jail time is not a fan of this.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The whole country stands against our own freedom now, stunning. It must be the GMO's or the years of fluoride something!

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
a reply to: SolAquarius

You do realize if a person had an outburst like that in any courtroom in America, they'd be slapped with contempt of court charges and jailed, right? The courtroom (which is effectively what the confirmation hearing is legally considered) has always had a "modified" set of civil rights within it's doors.

But there was no "outburst, she was quietly in the back of the room protesting by sign and costume until she chuckled. Watch the videos on the OP link at least. The norm would be to tell her that another interfering sound and she would be removed since a laugh can certainly be involuntary.

The longtime activist was sitting in the back of the room sporting a pink Lady Liberty costume when Republican Senator Richard Shelby said Sessions had a record of "treating all Americans equally under the law."

"I thought that laughable, literally," Fairooz told As It Happens host Carol Off. "It just seemed so ridiculous."

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 03:39 PM
link   

a reply to: wheresthebody

She did more than just laugh... Something certain media outlets are failing to report for obvious reasons.

That was AFTER they started manhandling her out.

PLEASE, hear what caused them to drag her away.

edit on 4-5-2017 by SeaWorthy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

It pays to show respect.

The over-grown angry oompa-loompa and his minions have not earned respect.

And it is still effen America...Eff any facist that wants jail-time for jokes or laughter...eff them royally..

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I think every time Jeff Sessions goes out in public, people should point at him and laugh, that would really get his little elf ears flapping

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 03:44 PM
link   

a reply to: buster2010

Why is showing respect to everyone else present in the room a bad thing?

It's not...

Sentencing someone to a year in jail for laughing ...

Why does Jeff Sessions imagine himself the right hand of Hitler?

Eff him...He has no business being AG of the United States of America.

Hell...I imagine his own children laugh at him on a regular basis.
edit on 4-5-2017 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 03:48 PM
link   

To be fair you should add the cause, the moment she "laughed" to your OP

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I'm a little confused as to how many are finding Sessions at fault for this?

Sessions is not the person that levied the charges.

Sessions was not a member of the jury that found her guilty of said charges.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigo5

Why does Jeff Sessions imagine himself the right hand of Hitler?

Why do you think Sessions had anything to do with this?

Was he on the Jury? Did he make a citizen's arrest on her?
edit on 4-5-2017 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 04:19 PM
link   

So...purposefully disrupting a formal court proceeding in session is OK in your country then? Judges have no problem allowing people to make a scene in their courtrooms all willy nilly like, just whenever they feel the urge? Legal proceedings must take weeks to complete. Hmm. Maybe your attorneys don't charge by the hour either.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 04:20 PM
link   
"Woman could face jail time for laughing at Jeff Sessions confirmation hearing."

That's just stupid.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Black_Fox
"Woman could face jail time for laughing at Jeff Sessions confirmation hearing."

That's just stupid.

Because they want you to think so. It would be like saying man may go to jail for opening his hand, while forgetting to mention he was dropping a grenade on people.

What she did will get this same outcome all day every day all over the country.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: roadgravel
Just remove her from the room. It's not that difficult.

That's what they did...one cop a bit roughish though, and not a young woman.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Yall dont even want to know the potential outcome of disorderly conduct, much less contempt of court charges would get you in A.G. Sessions home state.

Just being dressed in that silly pink costume during court proceedings would be enough to get you locked up for way more than a year here.

Contempt of court is taken very seriously.

If you want to protest, dont do it in a court.

posted on May, 4 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Captain tinyhands and his minions are trying to make examples out of people who openly oppose the BS they are slinging.

Sessions is a goon and lives in another world. He should be openly mocked and laughed at during all of his public appearances. Jeff Sessions as AG is a cruel joke. He's a racist, a bigot, a liar, and a stooge.

Dear Senator Thurmond:

I write to express my sincere opposition to the confirmation of Jefferson B. Sessions as a federal district court judge for the Southern District of Alabama. my professional and personal roots in Alabama are deep and lasting. Anyone who has used the power of his office as United States Attorney to intimidate and chill the free exercise of the ballot by citizens should not be elevated to our courts.

Mr. Sessions has used the awesome powers of his office in a shabby attempt to intimidate and frighten elderly black voters. For this reprehensible conduct, he should not be rewarded with a federal judgeship.

I regret that a longstanding commitment prevents me from appearing in person to testify against this nominee. However, I have attached a copy of my statement opposing Mr. Sessions' confirmation and I request that my statement as well as this letter be made a part of the hearing record.

I do sincerely urge you to oppose the confirmation of Mr. Sessions.

Sincerely, Coretta Scott King

Coretta Scott King's 1986 letter and testimony

The world would be a better place if Jeff Sessions died tomorrow. Maybe him and Trump can fall down a flight of stairs together. Jackasses.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join