It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should the Bible, Koran and Torah be Edited to Remove the Monsterously Violent Texts????

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 07:12 PM
link   
It is amazing the folly of people like the op
The bible is a warts and all exposure of people and the actions God takes with people

I know, let's hide that, pretend the world is unicorns, rainbows and fairy floss and we are all being rained on by snowflakes of magic fairy dust

The bible is unique as a historical document, it doesn't record only the victories and only good storys, it records many bad stories and failures of the people and nation as well

It is how I expect non believers to react, " let's make the bible less scarier"
edit on 29-4-2017 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 07:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

originally posted by: infolurker
a reply to: JoshuaCox

Would this even be a discussion if Islamic terrorism and oppression were not an everyday occurrence?

Serious question.

Absolutely.. religious extremism isn't new or relegated to Islam specifically..

Every white power group, every faith healer who slowly watches their kid die, every Christian who taught slavery was ordained by God, exc, exc , exc..

It's pretty funny the way everyone else's religion needs to change, except the person saying that..

No we dont. we need people to actually teach what applies to them though.

The Cath church is especially bad about this because they still use OT laws,which are wrong because they are not Of the hebrew people.
Same for Baptist and the rest of christianity. Our preachers/bishops/priest,pointiffs all need to teach the NT doctrine which is hardly violent at all.

See alot of Non christians like to toss up Deut and other things but they do not realize that those do not apply to people under the NT doctrine/covenant.

but what about no part of the law will be put away? None of it has.. its just those OT laws apply to them and not gentiles who are under a new doctrine the NT.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Holy ####ing sh#t.

What the #### is the hard-on people are having with censorship?

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Holy ####ing sh#t.

What the #### is the hard-on people are having with censorship?

Their feelings are more important than history.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   
a reply to: AgarthaSeed

Well, they're taking down statues in the south.

So I figure they'll want to take down crosses next.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I don't think you could. most followers of their religions are only followers out of the fear of falling victim to the scary stuff. not to mention, you'd be completely dismantling the idea of faith. there can never be a Christian-lite or happy-happy-Islam.
there must be the bad to appreciate the good.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
It is amazing the folly of people like the op
The bible is a warts and all exposure of people and the actions God takes with people

I know, let's hide that, pretend the world is unicorns, rainbows and fairy floss and we are all being rained on by snowflakes of magic fairy dust

The bible is unique as a historical document, it doesn't record only the victories and only good storys, it records many bad stories and failures of the people and nation as well

It is how I expect non believers to react, " let's make the bible less scarier"

Except that every testable claim it makes has been thouroughly debunked...

There isn't enough water on the planet to flood the world.

The ark wasn't big enough to hold 2 of even 25% of the earths animals..

Our DNA doesn't show a genetic bottle kneck where Noah's family incested humanity into existence.

7 day creation is laughable.

The order of 7 day creation is equally laughable.

Sodom and gahmora were not called that, and obviously weren't desroyed by sulfur ...

Exc, exc, exc...

Almost nothing in the Bible checks out historically..

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 10:36 PM
link   

you do realize the bible is Gods attempt to simplify everything so it was easier to understand for people in the past to grasp the complexities of creating a universe right? People arent smart enough to grasp it all.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 11:23 PM
link   

We should not change the texts but there should be mandatory commentary written by logically wise souls who understand the golden rule so that the deviation from the golden rule and manipulation by choosing words that create duality separation instead of unity by those who follow the golden rule.

This to create objective awareness on how manipulative and illogical some prophets and priest are for power and to understand the differences logically between ideas.

The Abrahamic religions are good books to learn critical thinking and understand propaganda. I think all people should read the Quran. If you do it with objective reasoning weighing each statement you will understand much about cults of insanity.

This is not an attack on understanding Synchronicity/The Oneness/The higher and lower levels of creation that hides behind religion/mysticism. It is a call to understand more than flawed models.

edit on 29-4-2017 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 11:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: PolyCottonBlend
I don't think you could. most followers of their religions are only followers out of the fear of falling victim to the scary stuff. not to mention, you'd be completely dismantling the idea of faith. there can never be a Christian-lite or happy-happy-Islam.
there must be the bad to appreciate the good.

I disagree.. for the most part in the west , ireliguob is a social club.. with the full spectrum of characters god and bad..

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Would this even be a discussion if Islamic terrorism and oppression were not an everyday occurrence?

Serious question.

Yes it would. Christians can't seriously hold the bible in such high regard when it contains such vile passages. I know nothing about the Torah.

"The good book" my ar*e

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 05:27 AM
link   
a reply to: 3danimator2014

Yet would you not consider wiping out all of isis, every single one of them so they are never an issue again
Or would you call for mercy

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 06:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

Serious question.

Absolutely.. religious extremism isn't new or relegated to Islam specifically..

Every white power group, every faith healer who slowly watches their kid die, every Christian who taught slavery was ordained by God, exc, exc , exc..

It's pretty funny the way everyone else's religion needs to change, except the person saying that..

No we dont. we need people to actually teach what applies to them though.

The Cath church is especially bad about this because they still use OT laws,which are wrong because they are not Of the hebrew people.
Same for Baptist and the rest of christianity. Our preachers/bishops/priest,pointiffs all need to teach the NT doctrine which is hardly violent at all.

See alot of Non christians like to toss up Deut and other things but they do not realize that those do not apply to people under the NT doctrine/covenant.

but what about no part of the law will be put away? None of it has.. its just those OT laws apply to them and not gentiles who are under a new doctrine the NT.

The Ten Commandments are OT.. Yet every prodestant faction I have heard of still considers them law.

The actual problem is almost NO Christian has ever read the whole bible.. it's no longer than a George RR Martin book, but seriously less than one percent ever have..

According to them it is literally ordained by God and no one has read it..

That makes it super easy for preachers to only mention the lovie dovie texts, unless they are trying to bash some group they don't like.

That said most of the pro slavery texts are New Testament.. and there are plenty of other violent texts there as well.

To be fair most are apostles preaching the violence in the NT, I don't think jesus himself had many if any violent quotes..

However, when you look at the Bible's actual history all the documented changes and edits. The council of nicea and the Arean revolt(?) where they 100% created the Bible 400 years after jesus, then why believe any of it.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 06:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3danimator2014

Serious question.

Yes it would. Christians can't seriously hold the bible in such high regard when it contains such vile passages. I know nothing about the Torah.

"The good book" my ar*e
You sure?? I don't think any one ever criticized Christianity befor 911....

Lmao..

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 06:20 AM
link   

you do realize the bible is Gods attempt to simplify everything so it was easier to understand for people in the past to grasp the complexities of creating a universe right? People arent smart enough to grasp it all.

Which is why it got every thing wrong??? I guess?!?! Lol..

It definately blew the historical record part, but it also blew the moral high ground as well...

The Bible didn't predict that slavery was wrong, it validates it.

The Bible didn't predict that violence was wrong , it legitimizes it..

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 09:36 AM
link   

It definately blew the historical record part, but it also blew the moral high ground as well...

Context context context. Non christians never ever try to grasp the context. The bible isnt literal 100 percent of the time. Id say hardly ever except on important things really. And SO what about protestants still using the 10 commandments. Those arent violent at all anyway are they?

Anyway Caths and prods and th erest still living by OT are just wrong,and thats a major issue.(unless you are who it was written for)

Oh and the But the council of nicea.... So what again. The scriptures were written down beforehand so they actually didnt rewrite anything. they condensed it into 2 books. the OT and the NT. Maybe they should split the two book sinto two instead these days bu tnot alter the text at all instead. THEN it be easy to tell who is following what.

HEre is a article on SLavery in the NT. From th earticle it does have soem condemnation for it,and th edefinition of th practice does not always mean what you think it means.
slavery in the new testament

Oh and apparently the non violent verses outnumber the VIolent ones in the NT. Its kind of misleading because ANYTHING against another is considered violent apparently. Bu tits far from Condoning violence like you suggest.
The bible and violence(scroll down to NT section)

Point is you are wrong.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   
All three texts should be translated into klingon, with all of the original, non-klingon versions being destroyed.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Context context context. Non christians never ever try to grasp the context. The bible isnt literal 100 percent of the time. Id say hardly ever except on important things really. And SO what about protestants still using the 10 commandments. Those arent violent at all anyway are they?

Anyway Caths and prods and th erest still living by OT are just wrong,and thats a major issue.(unless you are who it was written for)

Oh and the But the council of nicea.... So what again. The scriptures were written down beforehand so they actually didnt rewrite anything. they condensed it into 2 books. the OT and the NT. Maybe they should split the two book sinto two instead these days bu tnot alter the text at all instead. THEN it be easy to tell who is following what.

HEre is a article on SLavery in the NT. From th earticle it does have soem condemnation for it,and th edefinition of th practice does not always mean what you think it means.
slavery in the new testament

Oh and apparently the non violent verses outnumber the VIolent ones in the NT. Its kind of misleading because ANYTHING against another is considered violent apparently. Bu tits far from Condoning violence like you suggest.
The bible and violence(scroll down to NT section)

Point is you are wrong.

A) The Old Testament doesn't "not count " if your still including it. It's the same God commiting genocides and loping the hands of wives in both books, no matter what YOUR PERSONAL INTERPRETATION OF WHAT HIS SON SAID.

And I say personal interpretation because there are only like 400,000 different flavors of Christianity.

I would never argue that the NT has more violence than it has lovie dovie stuff, but I'd be willing to bet that there Is no shortage of violent texts. There are prob close to a hundred or more.

B) if your taking an esop's fables approach to the Bible (where the stories are way more about the moral than it is them being a historical account) and I truely don't mean that in a derogatory way.

Then why would you choose to believe any of the siupernatural claims ?!?!

I think that is why you have fundamentists.. they see that once we agree some of it isn't historically accurate, why would any of the other unrealistic claims be real??

They know that logically there isn't much different weather you believe half of it is real or believe none of it is real.

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: wheresthebody
All three texts should be translated into klingon, with all of the original, non-klingon versions being destroyed.

Excellent point..

"Go fund me " here I come!!

posted on Apr, 30 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

Also the only people who agree with that being the biblical view of slavery are Christian THEOLOGIANS and apologists..

Every real life archeologist and historian know exactly what kind of slavery the ME and romans had.. the exact same kind as America did later without the racial aspect. There all races could be chattel slaves.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join