It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should the Bible, Koran and Torah be Edited to Remove the Monsterously Violent Texts????

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 04:35 PM
link   
You hear quite a lot of Americans state that Islam needs a reformation and to remove the violent texts that help validate ISIS and other such religious extremists.

Well personally I agree completely...what better way to help reform your religion, than remove the evil parts of said religion. What better way to Invalidate all the ;

"thou shalt not suffer a witch to live"

And my new personal favorite;

"And in case men struggle together (in a fight) with one another, and the wife of the one has come near to deliver her husband out of the striking one (to save her husband), and she has thrust out her hand and grabbed hold of his private (the other man's groin), she must then get both her hands cut off, and the eyes of the men must feel no sorrow." [Deuteronomy 25:11-12]

Than removing them from the cannon???

My personal opinion is that all the "big 3 " religions contain truely horrible commandments and guidelines, and people just cherry pick whatever part helps them push whatever their personal opinion is...

But that led me to wonder since (mainly American Christians ) are always pushing for some big change to Islam. Would they be willing to use that same wrench to fix Christianity???

As long as those texts are there, some idiot will always use them to validate their faith healing, snake charming, attacking gays, terrorism , exc...

But if you removed them...

If you made such a big public statement that "we don't agree with all the hate filled garbage and instead we are gonna only focus on the "love thy neighbor type stuff"".

Wouldn't that make the world a better place???

" evil people do evil things , because they are evil people...."

"Good people do evil things because their religion told them too..."
Joe Rogan (quitting someone I can't remember hehe) .

edit on 29-4-2017 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-4-2017 by JoshuaCox because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 04:39 PM
link   
a reply to: JoshuaCox

Would this even be a discussion if Islamic terrorism and oppression were not an everyday occurrence?

Serious question.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 04:41 PM
link   
What do we censor next? Or maybe just go straight to burning books?

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 04:43 PM
link   

No. People should learn how to read them in context and not be so reactionary.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Should the Bible, Koran and Torah be Edited to Remove the Monsterously Violent Texts????

No.

No form of censorship be it a bible,a parade that was threatened or a college in California stifling speech they don't like.

Should be tolerated in ANY form.

Any truly free society would never tolerate such a thing.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   
However we use the texts or don't use them, removing them altogether is bad practice, in principle, because it distorts the record.
It also means subjecting them to the possibly temporary values of a particular era of time. Perhaps some of the passages you like best might have been removed from the text if a previous era had their way.
The best approach is to keep the whole text, as it stands, and consider the most appropriate way of using it.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 04:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

Would this even be a discussion if Islamic terrorism and oppression were not an everyday occurrence?

Serious question.

Absolutely.. religious extremism isn't new or relegated to Islam specifically..

Every white power group, every faith healer who slowly watches their kid die, every Christian who taught slavery was ordained by God, exc, exc , exc..

It's pretty funny the way everyone else's religion needs to change, except the person saying that..

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 04:49 PM
link   

I dont care what they put in them books, i still aint gonna read em.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Technically, wouldn't all of those books be treated as "fiction"? So if we're going to start censoring fiction books because of any violence in them, where do we stop? After all, this is a country where horror movies, murder mysteries, and even "hardcore" music can include large amounts of murder and violence. Even comic books and superhero movies include large amounts of violence and murders against "bad guys". Why would they be exempt from this censorship?

Then there are the nonfiction accounts of murder, violence, and radicalism that would need to be accounted for, like accounts of the Unabomber, accounts of war heroes, etc. You can read or watch accounts of famous military snipers right now and surely some readers will be influenced by their stories. So where would the censorship end?

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
What do we censor next? Or maybe just go straight to burning books?
As long as your consistent fair enough.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

Technically, wouldn't all of those books be treated as "fiction"? So if we're going to start censoring fiction books because of any violence in them, where do we stop? After all, this is a country where horror movies, murder mysteries, and even "hardcore" music can include large amounts of murder and violence. Even comic books and superhero movies include large amounts of violence and murders against "bad guys". Why would they be exempt from this censorship?

Then there are the nonfiction accounts of murder, violence, and radicalism that would need to be accounted for, like accounts of the Unabomber, accounts of war heroes, etc. You can read or watch accounts of famous military snipers right now and surely some readers will be influenced by their stories. So where would the censorship end?

I'm pretty sur nonfiction telling you to be violent is censored...

Now if we are saying they are fiction, the. I absolutely agree.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Who's "we"? As in, who's deciding what is and isn't fiction in your hypothetical situation? The govt or some independent organization? After all, there are people who still believe Bigfoot, the Loch Ness Monster and ghosts are real. And their are people who act out the things they see in violent movies and video games too. So who decides where the line is?

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I had dwelled on the great loss when the Library of Alexandria burned and it's loss to humanity. It seems all civilizations destroy the previous civilization, sometimes to complete burning rubble. So much is lost, such as history and science. Our civilization is Deep into Decay, and I see little relief. ( All foretold in these books you want to eliminate or silence) What next ? Do we destroy to rubble the Great Pyramids ? After all....... they are monuments to decades of SLAVE LABOR....... This is LIBERAL INSANITY at it's best.

The beauty part. The Bible will out survive this petulant nation and any attempts to silence it.
edit on 29-4-2017 by Plotus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I've thought about this a lot over the years and simply removing the content would not change the problems. Even many generations from now.

The Abrahamic religions are ones of supremacy. The Muslims think they're better than the non-Muslims. The Jews think they're better than the non-Jews and the Christians think they're better than the unsaved. And on top of that all three think they're better than other sects of their own religions as well.

Their individual issues like being pro-slavery or anti-woman or whatever else is just icing on the bigot-cake.

I do believe that eventually, no time soon but eventually, the people of the world will overcome the concept of supremacy and these religions that embrace it will be ended. And if not then I like to hope the religions themselves will just stop it but I don't actually think that will ever happen.

This really is all I have to say about it so anyone wanting to goad me into a fight can just drop that. I'll not respond to this. I don't care if this changes how anyone views me. I do not support supremacists.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker

Serious question.

I seriously doubt it.

Moasic law is not practised anywhere, so those writings are little more than a curiosity and a reminder of less enlightened times.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 05:55 PM
link   
No.

The truth of islam needs to be exposed.

The taqiya has been extremely effective.
edit on 29-4-2017 by Deny Arrogance because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

Who's "we"? As in, who's deciding what is and isn't fiction in your hypothetical situation? The govt or some independent organization? After all, there are people who still believe Bigfoot, the Loch Ness Monster and ghosts are real. And their are people who act out the things they see in violent movies and video games too. So who decides where the line is?

Between whoever is having that conversation lol.. obviously you will never get people to agree on anything hehe.

People have been bashing Christianity for its violent texts for the entire modern age... well before 911...

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 06:13 PM
link   
as much as the idea of burning books appeals to the part of me which abhors any text that has driven men to slaughter women and children for the sake of ideology (which almost invariably makes us equal to the atrocious values we seek to eradicate) there is another voice in me that advises caution, because those texts are a reminder of why such philosophies are immoral and repugnant. in a word: it is far easier and more tempting to repeat our mistakes when we keep no record of them.
edit on 29-4-2017 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 06:16 PM
link   

No, they should be left alone forever so future generations can marvel at the sheer stupidity of the human race.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Please tell me you're joking. Censorship is *not* the way to handle things. We've had too much of history whitewashed and censored as it is to comply with the ridiculous PC mindset of today.

What needs to happen is that those who choose to live by that religion should be taught how to read those texts without declaring that all and sundry things in them are gospel to live by in today's world, instead of examples of how things were in a very different time. The world evolves and moves on. Someone can sit down and write new versions of the religious texts that fit the new times we're in, but leave the old ones alone as historical documents.

edit on 4/29/2017 by Subrosabelow because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join