It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 VA facilities report missing, stolen drugs in Florida

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Such a shame

SARASOTA, Co., Fla (WWSB) -- The Federal Department of Veterans Affairs has confirmed that at least five of its Florida facilities reported missing or stolen drugs, including the highly addictive and deadly synthetic opioid fentanyl.

Buchanan, who asked the VA for specific information about Florida, said he was “troubled” to learn five facilities in the state reported problems in the past year. He called for greater security to protect veterans and the public.

“As Florida confronts a deadly heroin and opioid epidemic, I’m disappointed to learn that some of our VA facilities were impacted by drug theft,” Buchanan said. “The VA must do everything in its power to prevent drug thefts, which put our veterans and communities at risk.”

In a letter (attached) sent to Buchanan, the VA’s undersecretary for health, disclosed that five Florida VA facilities were affected by missing drugs: the C.W. Bill Young VA Medical Center (VAMC) at Bay Pines, the Orlando VAMC, the West Palm Beach VAMC, the James A. Haley Veterans’ Hospital in Tampa and the Bruce W. Carter VAMC in Miami.

“These are some of the most deadly and addictive drugs in existence,” Buchanan said. “Those responsible must be held accountable.”

The agency’s letter was a response to a March inquiry from Buchanan about the Florida impact of missing drugs at VA hospitals. He requested information about the impact of drug losses on Florida veterans, and if any of the thefts occurred at facilities in the state.

Buchanan’s questions followed an Associated Press report that drug loss or theft at federal hospitals, 98 percent of which are VA facilities, increased tenfold between 2009 and 2015 nationwide. The VA is the nation’s largest healthcare system, operating more than 1,200 sites of care including hospitals, community-based outpatient clinics and nursing homes.

Perhaps most troubling, however, the VA said “approximately 30 veterans were affected” by the prescription drug losses in Florida, but did not disclose specific information regarding who or how these veterans were impacted.

Additionally, in its response to Buchanan’s request, the VA noted the types and amounts of missing drugs, and the street value. Fentanyl, oxycodone, morphine and hydrocodone were among the missing deadly drugs at the five Florida facilities.

The VA was unable to detail or account for the amount of fentanyl that went missing at these Florida facilities. Fentanyl is a synthetic drug similar to heroin but 50 times more powerful and a lethal dose can be as small as two or three grains of salt, according to the Drug Enforcement Administration.

Buchanan represents Manatee County, which had the highest number of fentanyl-related deaths in 2015 per capita compared to all Florida’s counties.

www.mysuncoast.com...

“The last thing Manatee County, and Florida, needs is more fentanyl on the street,” Buchanan said. “VA leadership needs to make it crystal clear to its employees they will face serious repercussions for stealing deadly drugs.”

The department told Buchanan that it took “serious disciplinary action” in cases involving missing drugs. According to the VA, an employee of the Miami VA Healthcare Center resigned before being fired. A Bay Pines VA Healthcare System employee received a 14-day suspension for a single instance of the loss of a narcotic.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 01:42 PM
link   
And there's also carfentanil

baltimore.cbslocal.com...

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   

“The last thing Manatee County, and Florida, needs is more fentanyl on the street,” Buchanan said. “VA leadership needs to make it crystal clear to its employees they will face serious repercussions for stealing deadly drugs.”

Seems like a foolproof plan.

"For realskies guys, if you steal narcotics from here you're gonna get in so much trouble!"

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 01:46 PM
link   
We are talking about Florida here, I think that they should check all the other VA centers in Florida again, they are just better at hiding things there.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 02:18 PM
link   
If its ongoing, systemic and spread across multiple facilities...

How do the drugs "go missing"? Is someone breaking into these facilities?

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 03:15 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr
Gets the old gears to turning, especially since I know for a fact that the VA treats its chronic pain patients like they are criminals and junkies.

I was on pain medication through the VA a couple of years ago, and I would rather crawl through hot burning coals, than to be treated with such disdain, or to kiss the arse of the person holding you hostage because they have a prescription pad in their hands.

Now I am wondering if their treatment had something to do with them hoarding the medications for themselves.

I still live with chronic pain 24/7. It wakes me up, several times during the night. I wake up to it, and I go to sleep with it. It is my constant companion. I have not taken a narcotic in over 2 years and refuse to allow it to be given to me when I have had to make trips to the ER.

For me, narcotics don't cure the problem. They just make me sick and puts me to sleep. I refuse to spend what time I have left bedbound in a drug induced coma.

The VA like every other government run department, has gone straight to hell in a hand-basket.

edit on 25-4-2017 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: iWontGiveUP

Hmm...

'Elephant Smack'. Oh, perfect!

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   

My money's on corrupt bureaucrats.

Some low level employee will take the fall. If anyone does.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 04:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

Seems like a foolproof plan.

"For realskies guys, if you steal narcotics from here you're gonna get in so much trouble!"

yeah real serious repercussions , like 14 day suspension or allowing you to resign , and keeping a clean employment record,rather than be fired.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: rockintitz

My money's on corrupt bureaucrats.

Some low level employee will take the fall. If anyone does.

Should be easy to sort out who works or worked at all those facilities during the ummm... robberies.

I still don't know how they determined they were 'missing'.

A broken cabinet with glass on the floor and bottles of pills scattered everywhere - robbery. The same MO in five facilities, maybe a crew of thieves...

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 09:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

originally posted by: iWontGiveUP

Hmm...

'Elephant Smack'. Oh, perfect!

There's that synthetic research chemical W-18 or something that is supposedly 10,000 times stronger than diacetyl morphine. 💀👻

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: PorteurDeMort
It is all probably part of the plan.

Hand out pain meds like candy to all those that don't really need it. Get a bunch of people that don't need the medications hooked. Pull the plug, making people that don't need the medications, and those that do need the medications, look for alternative sources.

Good formula for keeping that war on drugs going on and on.

Great for science too, since someone will find another chemical that desperate people will be willing to buy to stop the physical pain of deteriorating bodies or the mental pain of a deteriorating society. I guess the next step is to take a page from the book Brave New World. Watch for the government approved, and supplied en masse, perfect drug.
edit on 26-4-2017 by NightSkyeB4Dawn because: Fixed formatting.

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: iWontGiveUP
I call BS! I work in a hospital. You better believe that if you don't show where the drugs are going someone will show up asking questions.

You mean to tell me that these drugs are just walking out of Florida VA hospitals and no one is accountable?

I work at a very small rural community hospital. I can tell you right now where every single dose of control meds are. I must be able to show this to you in auditable form.

There is a huge part of this story missing!!!!!

posted on Apr, 26 2017 @ 09:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Martin75
a reply to: iWontGiveUP

There is a huge part of this story missing!!!!!

Most definitely an "inside job"

top topics

join