It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cool Find...Petrified Tree Spotted On Mars?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 11:57 AM
link   
This image was taken by NASA’s Mars rover Curiosity on March 25. It appears to show a three-foot-tall petrified tree stump. Yeah, I know about pareidolia and realize people have claimed to see machinery and animals that were nothing more than obvious rocks. However, this doesn't look like a rock...it looks out of place and actually looks like a tree stump. Well, if it is a rock, it certainly doesn't look like anything I've seen before on Mar's surface.
The image from Mars:

Images from Yellowstone Park (earth):

Petrified tree stumps in Pinnacles Desert (earth):

Eagle-eyed space enthusiasts, obsessed with the prospect of past or present life on Mars, have spotted what they believe could be the remnants of a tree on the red planet. The image – taken by NASA’s Mars rover Curiosity on March 25 – appears to show an oddly-shaped structure resembling a three-foot-tall petrified tree stump.

www.torontosun.com...

Mars is a dry, cold deserted wasteland with an atmosphere so thin, liquid water is unable to exist on the surface. However, alien hunters claim to have found evidence that the Red planet may have once been lush with green vegetation – 'the petrified remnants of a Martian tree'. In an image snapped by the Curiosity rover on Sol 164, some have suggested there is an ancient tree stump that stands about three feet high, which they say means a variety of plants 'either existed or still exist' on Mars.

www.dailymail.co.uk...
edit on 4/25/2017 by shawmanfromny because: added picture

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Wooooow! Just wow!

I hope our friend Curiosity get a few samples of it... Very interesting! Thanks for sharing.

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 12:05 PM
link   
What if it's not petrified at all?

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 12:05 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

Yes very interesting, even if the result of erosion from wind, it definitely stands out.

If ever a core sample or drill were to be used this would be it.
Investigate the $h!t out of it.

#FindSomethingCoolPlease

-ThoughtIsMadness

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   

No its not, its a transformers arm sticking out of the ground. Might as well be , anythings 'possible' , right?

Solid as a rock theories abound among children.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: tigertatzen
What if it's not petrified at all?

Al rocks undergo peetrification...

There was this old explorer, he returned from exploring the wilderness in early america. He told of fantastic finds, whole peetrified forests. In one peetrified tree he said, there was a peetrified branch, and on the branch was a peetrified nest, in which sat a peetrified bird, singing a peetrified song...

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 12:13 PM
link   

it certainly doesn't look like anything I've seen before on Mar's surface.

wouldn`t that be a good indication that it`s probably just a rock? unless there was only one tree on Mars which wouldn`t make much sense.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Or it could be a piece of rock that was uplifted and eroded just like the larger one to the right in a natural geologic process. Just to invoke the Southwest again, there are many places where you can see stratified layers laid down over millions of years that were originally horizontal and have been uplifted to crazy angles. Of course, if you paint the sample brown with Photoshop it does look like a tree stump.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Here are the pictures taken by Curiosity on Sol 164 ... I don't see the Paranormal Crucible image in there , perhaps it's my eyesight.
mars.jpl.nasa.gov...#/?slide=164

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

On earth, there are many "lone" petrified trees.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 12:37 PM
link   
The only problem I have with the images of the 'tree' is the scale of the object you are highlighting. You are using close up pictures of tree stumps from Yellowstone and trying to compare it to a cropped zoomed in landscape photo of mars.
I'm sorry to be that person but it's a little bit of rock stuck in the mars dirt

Do you have a link for the original picture ?

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Thanks.

I think it's a rock.

edit on 25-4-2017 by gortex because: Edit to add

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Some pictures from mars certainly do look to indicate a previous existance of flora or structures.

The picture of the trees from Yellowstone are spectacular

There is differing opinions as to the formations at The Pinnacles, they are definatley limestone not petrified wood although possibly formed upon tree roots.

en.m.wikipedia.org...(Western_Australia)

I have visited it is like a moonscape dessert, surrounded by forest next to the ocean. I took a spectacular photo one morning of kangaroos hoping along with an emu popping it's head over waiting for them to pass like they where at a T-junction.

I am not a geo but have some nice petrified wood specimens in my rock collection and would see the Pinnacles formation more akin to this.

•The science: Science has solved the riddle posed by the Pinnacles: they were formed from limestone-rich sand, ancient sea shells crushed into powder by the ocean and swept inland by wind and waves. Once this shell-sand had reached the area, a complex process over thousands of years turned created this natural wonder known as the Pinnacles. Every time it rained, the water would cause some of the calcium carbonate in the shell-sand to seep into the ground, hardening and slowly forming the Pinnacles beneath the ground. Bushfires and erosion caused the surrounding loose sand to blow away, leaving behind the natural splendour of the Pinnacles that we enjoy today.

mooreriverholidays.com.au...

The central area of The Pinnacles is surrounded by flora but not much grows in the centre. Areas of petrified wood forests (on Earth) generaly have some flora within if it is growing near (not complete vast dessert).

Intresting pic from mars, but like the Pinnacles it is rock. Petrified wood would have to break down in such an inhospitable environment?

edit on 25-4-2017 by aliensanonymous because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-4-2017 by aliensanonymous because: Uneducated, alien manipulated primate:-)

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Thanks.

I think it's a rock.

It is a rock... with a carving of a Martian diety in it!!!!

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I wish it was a tree, but see just to the right a bit,
theres a vertical slab of rock too. Not unusual to
see them sitting at all sorts of angles.

good pic though

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Have to agree that it looks pretty cool.

I'd go nuts if it were an actual fossilized tree.....that would be HUGE!

But looking at some of the pics, I can also see it being a rock that was uplifted, and then worn down.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   

It appears as if the "tree" has the SAME characteristics as the rock next to it in the first image.

Who know's though.

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 01:11 PM
link   
are there petrified tree on Devon Island??

posted on Apr, 25 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Like I stated in my opening thread, "if it is a rock, it certainly doesn't look like anything I've seen before on Mar's surface." I've never before seen an image from Mars that actually looked like it could be a tree stump. This image could very well be a rock, but IMO, it does look out of place and it does look like a tree stump. Hey, I know there have been ridiculous pictures claiming to be animals, machinery, figures of people and buildings that were a clear case of pareidolia, but this image is not so cut and dried. It's still amazing to me that we have a robotic craft exploring a planet that's @35-250 million miles away (depending on when Earth and Mars are at opposition or conjunction). ANYTHING that looks odd in a image should be posted, discussed respectfully and scrutinized. This is a conspiracy website, what better place to post an interesting picture from a far away planet and ask, "what if?"

edit on 4/25/2017 by shawmanfromny because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join