It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone fight?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Not sure if this is the right forum or not...

Anyone else here practice MMA - Muay Thai, Krav, PCS?

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Scorpiogurl

Are you asking if we just practice, say, BJJ, or employ this in the ring?

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I don't fight in any tournaments or anything as its not what the system was designed for but i do practice Krav Maga i'm currently on G1 so quite proficient (not taken the instructor’s certification though) having progressed through P1-P5 Grading.

I love it good for fitness and i know if need be i could defend me and mine then get the F out of dodge

Why may i inquire are you asking? do you practice any MA yourself? do you compete?

Regards.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 08:05 AM
link   

I used to. Folk wrestling in school. Bjj and catch wrestling starting late teens. Boxing. There was a restaurant in Florida that had a ring in the center and they used to host amateur boxing and mma matches.
Not in a long time though. One of my brothers is a pro fighter. Has had 4 fights. He's not in the show but he made it further than me.
Catch wrestling FTW

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 08:14 AM
link   

I grew up in Vicksburg, ms where your entire social standing was decided by who's @$$ you could kick, times whoever you can get to help you kick someone's @$$.

Does that count???

Lol!!!

I'm just now finding out that most martial arts are nearly useless...

That almost none of it holds up in real life of mma..

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 08:16 AM
link   

I disagree with the concept of practicing fighting.

Sparring only teaches one how to avoid doing someone too much damage. Fighting necessitates no limitations. Sparring and all forms of traditional martial arts require that you do not seek in all things to utterly mutilate and kill your opponent, even in MMA, where the principle appears to be dry humping people to death.

I prefer not to constrain myself with tutelage, or to get used to NOT following through a hit, or being careful not to damage a friend or training partner. That way, when I do react, the reaction is uncoloured by concern for my opponents well being. I can tear open cheek flesh, rip at eyelids, seek to crush the larynx, break the collar bone, burst ear drums, or sever the spinal cord all without holding back in the least, and because of my lack of formal education do it in a manner which may not be familiar to my opponent.

It is only physics, horrifically applied Newtonian physics. I require no practice to make effective use of those principles.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 08:20 AM
link   

I fought pro for 2 years out of Cage Fighting Manitoba.
I got to train ..and be folded in half more times than I can count, with my friend, Andre Arlovski when he was training for his fight with Fedor.
I lived with UFC Vet, Joe "El Dirte' Doerkson in Winnipeg Manitoba.

My main practice was BJJ and Muay Thai.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 08:22 AM
link   
i would love to if i was healthy enough. When i was a kid i took Shotokan for like 5 years got to my greenbelt and then moved.

If i could study anything i would start with grappling because most fights go to the ground assuming a person isnt taken down with a lucky punch.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Yes I have done MMA for five years and am in a Muay Thai curriculum. Sparring and testing but no fights yet
I was thinking about Krav... any thoughts?

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

All true, however a bit of preparation for if you end up in various situations can be a good thing though.

I don't hold true to the idea that because i have trained in Krav over several years that i could beat all comers but i know for a fact that on 2 separate occasions it has helped save my ass the first got very physical and luckily for me did not end well for my attacker, the second my training helped me de-escalate the situation all together saving a friend from getting attacked by 3 bar room meat heads.

Just my 2 pence worth of course, each to their own as they say

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Krav Maga is useless in the real world.
It looks great when you got the big muscle bound goon practicing it on a scripted video.
But talk to anyone who knows a real martial art and they will tell you the same.
Heck id rather take Karate... with the little kids, then dedicate to Krav. lol

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Krav is great but i'm not sure i would practice it with MMA or any ring fighting in mind, its more of a quick response do what you can then scarper type of thing and as i have said even avoid the confrontation all together how ever it does borrow techniques from Boxing, judo, BJJ etc... so some principles would apply but it does have ring limits i.e eyes, back of head, groin area etc...
edit on 5-4-2017 by nickovthenorth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

I take it you have never practiced Krav to any decent level with real instructors not internet wanabee's, as i have said does it make you invincible.... hell no, does any MA? can it give you the edge when needed ....hell yeah.

Not trying to get personal, but what works for some doesn't work for other etc...
edit on 5-4-2017 by nickovthenorth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

I disagree with the concept of practicing fighting.

Sparring only teaches one how to avoid doing someone too much damage. Fighting necessitates no limitations. Sparring and all forms of traditional martial arts require that you do not seek in all things to utterly mutilate and kill your opponent, even in MMA, where the principle appears to be dry humping people to death.

I prefer not to constrain myself with tutelage, or to get used to NOT following through a hit, or being careful not to damage a friend or training partner. That way, when I do react, the reaction is uncoloured by concern for my opponents well being. I can tear open cheek flesh, rip at eyelids, seek to crush the larynx, break the collar bone, burst ear drums, or sever the spinal cord all without holding back in the least, and because of my lack of formal education do it in a manner which may not be familiar to my opponent.

It is only physics, horrifically applied Newtonian physics. I require no practice to make effective use of those principles.

Well some of us think of it as an art that has more to do with agility, muscle memory, focus and overall body strength. I never said that we go easy during practice. I said we did Muay Thai drills. When I throw a round-house I'm throwing around 400 LBs of force to my partner. Either he/she defends, gets the hell out of the way... or he/she goes down like a bag of hammers. Either way... it's a skill that has to be developed over time. I could go out and ruin someones day with brute force too... anyone could! You're talking a different story.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: nickovthenorth
a reply to: Macenroe82

I take it you have never practiced Krav to any decent level with real instructors not internet wanabee's, as i have said does it make you invincible.... hell no, does any MA? can it give you the edge when needed ....hell yeah.

Not trying to get personal, but what works for some doesn't work for other etc...

I agree. If you've taken legitimate Krav you'd know that it's totally useful and applicable in the real world. Like Nick said above it doesn't make you invincible but if you're up against someone who doesn't know Krav? that person is just done.

Anyway, the Muay Thai to me is a skill and an art. I was thinking of starting Krav for more real life defense.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Krav is great but i'm not sure i would practice it with MMA or any ring fighting in mind, its more of a quick response do what you can then scarper type of thing and as i have said even avoid the confrontation all together how ever it does borrow techniques from Boxing, judo, BJJ etc... so some principles would apply but it does have ring limits i.e eyes, back of head, groin area etc...

Yeah I am thinking of starting a program for real life defense situations. Not ring fighting

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 08:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Scorpiogurl

Yeah I am thinking of starting a program for real life defense situations. Not ring fighting

Then i would say go for it
you wont regret it just make sure you look into legit instructors etc.. (you know the drill not trying to teach you how to suck eggs as they say lol).

At the end of each of my training sessions those that want too get padded up and go all out for 30 mins or so putting into practice what we have drilled that session, this way you get to go full throttle
and really see what works and what doesn't.

Regards and good luck on your next MA learning experience which ever one you decide to go for.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 08:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Scorpiogurl

Then i would say go for it
you wont regret it just make sure you look into legit instructors etc.. (you know the drill not trying to teach you how to suck eggs as they say lol).

At the end of each of my training sessions those that want too get padded up and go all out for 30 mins or so putting into practice what we have drilled that session, this way you get to go full throttle
and really see what works and what doesn't.

Regards and good luck on your next MA learning experience which ever one you decide to go for.

Awesome thanks!
I've been with the same MMA school for 5 years and he's got excellent programs and many of the renowned fighters from all over the world come in to instruct. This month is open enrollment for the program so I could jump in with no experience aside from what I've already learned in other martial arts
And then I get my tank - 'Krav. We do bad things to bad people'. Hahahaha!!!!!

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Have tried most things over the years. TKD, Judo, Karate, Boxing, Krav, BJJ, Muay Thai. Have only really stuck with boxing, muay thai and BJJ. Used to compete as an amateur in MMA.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: MagnaCarta2015
Have tried most things over the years. TKD, Judo, Karate, Boxing, Krav, BJJ, Muay Thai. Have only really stuck with boxing, muay thai and BJJ. Used to compete as an amateur in MMA.

Nice! I did kickboxing for a long time but I am really loving MT! I love the flow of it....

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join