It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone fight?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 09:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Scorpiogurl

MT is a beautiful artfor sure, most people have no idea what to do in the clinch.
edit on 5-4-2017 by MagnaCarta2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: MagnaCarta2015

MT is a beautiful artfor sure, most people have no idea what to do in the clinch.

Yes! And that's what separates those who actually train legit from those who just think they do

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: nickovthenorth

Oh absolutely, what works for one doesnt necessarily work for the other.
Same with Krav maga when it comes to real world altercations....unless your only practicing it outside the night club on the lippy college kids. Then I can see it assisting in some manner.

But when all said and done, I think ill stick with my 8 deadly limbs....because its what im comfortable with.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 09:17 AM
link   
In fact this thread has inspired me to maybe look into taking up another MA other than Krav myself, not wanting to be a one trick pony as they say so without wanting to high jack your thread Scorpiogurl, any suggestions for something a bit more traditional that you think would compliment what i have learned practicing Krav.

If it helps i'm 5'8" male and a pretty solid 12-1/2 stone (175 pounds) with 18% body fat, got good speed and power but if i'm honest could probably do with getting a bit more flexibility but i think that maybe more to with getting older than anything

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Macenroe82

Fair enough
i cant argue with your reasoning i just know Krav has helped me personally i the real world and believe me he was no lippy collage Kid in fact he prob had 50 pounds and a good few inches on me and could fight( a fact i picked up on straight away due to the stance he had taken before the sh*t had even hit the fan).

Like i said top draw instructors and a strong dedication to put into practice what you learn (as in full contact sessions after class, padded up of course) make all the difference between if what you have learned works or if you just get your self an ass kicking .

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 09:25 AM
link   

I am glad it inspired you and don't worry about hijacking it! I put it out here so that interested parties could discuss, learn, etc.

How about just basic traditional boxing?

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Scorpiogurl

I am glad it inspired you and don't worry about hijacking it! I put it out here so that interested parties could discuss, learn, etc.

How about just basic traditional boxing?

Thanks and good shout on the boxing, i'm not one for utilizing kicks unless i have too and would definitely not try kicks in the real world unless i could get a quick well timed shot on the nuts
so boxing would probably suit me well as i already have the basics down of how to strike etc.. from Krav

edit on 5-4-2017 by nickovthenorth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Boxing is fundamental knowledge in every full contact sport.
If you dont understand how the energy for a punch is originated ( your legs and feet ) Your losing out on a lot of potential strength behind your striking.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Agree! Sometimes it's good to get back to the basics!

For me my regular round house kicks are hot and cold. Sometimes they are off the charts... perfect and strong. Other times I might as well be throwing a feather at a pillow. It drives me crazy! So my head kicks are awesome (tooting my own horn), I think due to years and years of dancing lol! My elbows are vicious but my regular jab needs a little work. But like I said... practice!

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Thats right, its practice, practice, practice.

A quick tip to assist your jab: Dont wrap your hands. wraps keep your wrist locked in place.
Allow your wrists and hands to build the muscle to keep your wrist straight when striking.
im sure your beyond this but a good beginner exercise is to position your lead shoulder against a wall and shadow box parallel to it. Keeping stance and focus on getting that "snap" effect.

Move to the bag - unwrapped hands and jab, jab, jab. 5 x 3 min rounds. 1 min break in between.
round 1 - just jab
round 2 - circle bag jabbing
round 3 - circle opposite way of bag
round 4 - jab, jab, duck to mid bag, jab jab - rinse repeat. ( excellent for assisting in leg strength as well)
Round 5 - combine round 2 and round 4.

Do 5 rounds and call me in the morning.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Yes, American Freedtyle Kickboxing for years. It was great until I broke a knuckle and decided I shouldn't be breaking myself to much. You know, the whole being responsible thing.
We didn't wear head gear to make it a bit more real, just MMA gloves and shin pads.
I even had a female buddy that was getting big into it. She liked fighting me because I was the only one who landed strikes on her. The other guys always held back, which sucked for her because she couldn't learn anything. And if I landed a good hit on her, ohhhhh! Watch out! She was coming for blood after that!
I wanted to try Krav too, just never went past employing a few Youtube attacks.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: nickovthenorth
In fact this thread has inspired me to maybe look into taking up another MA other than Krav myself, not wanting to be a one trick pony as they say so without wanting to high jack your thread Scorpiogurl, any suggestions for something a bit more traditional that you think would compliment what i have learned practicing Krav.

If it helps i'm 5'8" male and a pretty solid 12-1/2 stone (175 pounds) with 18% body fat, got good speed and power but if i'm honest could probably do with getting a bit more flexibility but i think that maybe more to with getting older than anything

Yep, def boxing as scorpiogurl recommended. You'll have great cardio, footwork and a good understanding of range which will all compliment the krav.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Excellent! Thanks for the tips.
I'm not sure about not wrapping though... I don't want to bust my knuckles but I know what you mean about the wraps keeping the wrists locked in place. I try to wrap tight on around the knuckles and looser around the wrists. But yeah, I'll practice on my heavy bag with no wraps so I can control the impact until I toughen up my knuckles and build more strength in my wrists.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: MagnaCarta2015

Another endorsement for Boxing
i'm sure i remember one of the guys at Krav said he has a relative that is quite high level amateur with a few fights under his belt so ill ask where he trains and take the plunge i think, thanks for the direction folks.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: TexasTruth

Nice!
I know what you mean about people trying to take it easy. Even when we're practicing our flow drill I hate it when my partner throws a hook but goes slow or goes up and around my head. Seriously... Let it rip! If I don't fade, duck or cover it's my own fault for getting hit in the head! LOL!

Funny story... part of our stress testing is stuff like push ups, sprints, 30/30's and MT sit ups in-between sparring. So the other night we're doing MT sit ups and I'm pounding away on my partners abs. She comes up and I didn't get out of the way and she clocks me right in the face! Like.. right in my eye! I didn't really get hurt but I have a nice light shade of purple there and it hurts like a mofo! Just figures... all the drilling and sparring and I get hit during a sit up!

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Yeah, traditional boxing. A super workout!
Just remember to keep dancin'!

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Any tips on the roundhouse for consistency and power? For those of you who have perfected it?

I know sometimes I am just standing too close to the opponent / my partner. I have pretty long legs and a high kick so when I stand back at almost an uncomfortable distance I can land it better, with more force. I am also keenly aware of using my body to fling my leg around and turn my hip. For some reason I seem to tense up sometimes and use my leg muscles for the kick rather than let it flow...

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Can try doing twists with a medicine ball to develop more hip rotation and practice landing them on the heavy bag further up the shin. You probs won't get the same power as when you're further out of range but it'll still do damage.

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Can't go wrong with Bjj and muay Thai
Or catch wrestling with Muah Thai
Or Greco-Roman , folk with Muah Thai

If you want to be well rounded that's the way to go.
I would stop leaving maga unless you're gonna be in the new expendables

posted on Apr, 5 2017 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Treat them to a push kick in the chest to line up your round house.
Snap your kick by balancing on your ball of your big toe

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join