It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

College removes scales from gym after students complain it's 'triggering'

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: veracity

originally posted by: SprocketUK

I personally do not care if they are in or not.

Just sad that some people get so triggered and butt-hurt if they are taken out.

Its more a case of disliking the thought process that says if some people, with problems don't like something as useful and innocuous as a set of scales, then they should be removed.

It's like banning self driving cars because some people can't see.
Making life worse for the majority rather than make suitable arrangements for the minority.

no, its about not expanding your mind and realizing that they are not necessary. I know your type, ive been studying it for a long time.

I can bet that you want trans in the bathroom of the sex they are born with and let me guess, you are a christian that feels your religion is threatened bc a cake baker has to bake a cake for a gay.

Also, I can put money on it that you are pro-life.

All of those people...small minded.

(tell me, am I right in my guessing?)

Then you just lost all your bets, Einstein

I am pro choice, I don't actually like the idea of abortion, but I realise that the alternative to safe, legal access is far, far worse. So you can knock that off.

I also don't have any issues with trans people in any way at all.

I gave you an example of why scales in gyms are absolutely mandatory, but your great big mind has obviously flopped down over your eyes so you can't see it.

in addition, not everyone is you, some people like to monitor their own weight, not their BMI, muscle mass, waist size or anything else, their weight.

There is no rational reason on earth to deny them that in a gym.

You come over as a bigot who needs to belittle everyone who doesn't think in the same half ar5ed way you do.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

sorry i was wrong about you. Maybe you are not as narrow-minded as I thought. Just about scales. They why so much you are screaming "liberal agenda"?

or was that someone else?
edit on 15-3-2017 by veracity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 02:37 PM
link   

sorry i was wrong about you. Maybe you are not as narrow-minded as I thought. Just about scales. They why so much you are screaming "liberal agenda"?

or was that someone else?

Possibly someone else, though I do agree that there is a certain mindset at work here that broadly fits the lib agenda.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Maybe they are necessary for you and your work, sorry i dont know what it is that you do, i dont care, bu that is not the point. They are no longer necessary in gyms and schools. That is why they are not in there.

They have been deemed necessary, and have been returned to the facility.

Dont get butthurt, its not liberal agenda. Theres just newer technology. You like iphones right? those are not liberal agenda? are they?

The only one butthurt is you. The person that made the decision to remove them has openly stated that it was driven by their personal, liberal, and progressive (per their claim) agenda. That makes this instance a liberal driven agenda, regardless of what the anonymous posters online think.

Theres many apps to control a healthy lifestyle. And i suggest having a scale at your house, just dont get on it too often.

The only thing that controls a healthy lifestyle is the person. And you can suggest anything you want. I have actual professionals to consult for when I need advice for myself, or for those around me.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 02:39 PM
link   

I can see how someone paranoid and butthurt can claim that it is liberal agenda, but this has nothing to do with politics, actually.

Its just ummm...i guess a good word for scales can be...Old school?

Old school is still cool tho, right?

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: veracity

Stress only adds weight if a person munches comfort food. That is a choice.
Physiologically stress would be more likely to reduce weight with increased heartbeat, tensed muscles etc.

Removing the scales for 'stressed' people is in my opinion ridiculous, and I usually agree with you lol.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: peck420

no way..."The only one butthurt is you."

IS YOU!~!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Stress only adds weight if a person munches comfort food. That is a choice.
Physiologically stress would be more likely to reduce weight with increased heartbeat, tensed muscles etc.

Removing the scales for 'stressed' people is in my opinion ridiculous, and I usually agree with you lol.

omg, a newbie, that is not why they are removed. Its ...old school.

If someone removed scales bases soley on stress that would be a little rediculous.

However, they DO cause stress in many people. that is why it is reccomended NOT to hop on one every day, and probably why they are not in today's gyms

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 02:44 PM
link   

If the scales aren't physically dangerous or emotionally troubling to a rational mind, the only reasons left for removing them from a gym are, cost saving or a liberal agenda that puts people into the mindset of denying something to the majority in order to pander to a minority.

That's what people are getting at, and as someone posted above, the guy himself said it was a a decision borne of his own liberal view.

I (and I suspect), others, are angry at the wrong headedness of this approach.

It makes far more sense to treat the cause of this minority problem than to simply remove the scales and deny a valuable service to the vast majority of people using the gym.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   

That's a different discussion.
This is about a lame decision by an educational campus removing scales for some perceived anguish by weight conscious students.
That is ridiculous lol

The usefulness of scales is another debate, one not indicated as on topic in the OP.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Ok, but it is a trend today to not put scales in the gym.

bc they are not needed.

The stress they cause IS of sound mind. Its not like crazy people are scared of scales. If you are on a scale every day, its stressfull to not lose as much weight as you wish to. that stress makes you gain weight.

If you eliminate the stress of scales...then you are more proactive in reaching your goals. Checking everyday and losing 0 lbs is alot more stressfull than check twice a month and losing 2-5 lbs each time.

This mentality is of sane mind.

I hope this helps you to better understand. People are not scared of the sight of scales, its being obsessive with them. Its also easy to do with a body fat machine...I was once obsessed and I had to have a personal trainer to tell me to back off it.

and i, like some of you in this thread...thought...WTF? how is it bad to not keep track of your weight/bodyfat on a daily basis??? What the hell do YOU know ms. personal trainer who this is your life and you work to help people reach goals?

However, after awhile, it made sense and I adopted her ideologies...bc they are right...for when I started to train others and myself.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   

This is about a lame decision by an educational campus removing scales for some perceived anguish by weight conscious students.
That is ridiculous lol

Small correction. The decision was made by one person. The 'campus' had them returned after it became a known issue.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 02:51 PM
link   

That's a different discussion.
That is ridiculous lol

The usefulness of scales is another debate, one not indicated as on topic in the OP.

it seems that we are debating both in this thread

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Ah fair enough, I hadn't read all the thread.
Non story to me now, just a lone individual whining in the US lol, I'll leave the wider debate about protecting others who are 'stressed' by the sight of scales to others.
Personally I think it's a bit silly so I'll dismiss it as something else irrelevant to my life.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: peck420

That is ridiculous lol

Small correction. The decision was made by one person. The 'campus' had them returned after it became a known issue.

well, whatever the case, this crazy loon leftie moonbat still stands correct in that they are unnecessary and cause stress.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Ah fair enough, I hadn't read all the thread.
Non story to me now, just a lone individual whining in the US lol, I'll leave the wider debate about protecting others who are 'stressed' by the sight of scales to others.
Personally I think it's a bit silly so I'll dismiss it as something else irrelevant to my life.

lol, it was never about the "sight" of scales...it probably got twisted into that tho. Its more about becoming obsessed with them in that you show to never be losing weight or gaining weight due to gaining muscle. (muscle weighs more than fat) That can be stressful and cause weight gain and also cause for people to give up, when if there were no scales...they would be doing much better.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 03:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Yes, muscle does weigh more than fat, and when you are being thrown up in the air by your teammates, this is something that has to be taken into account. It is a balancing act between maintaining the strength you need to perform the acrobatics and doing it such a so as not to pack too much overt muscle mass. Training for cheerleading is therefore about keeping your muscle mass lean and finding ways to strengthen that lean muscle mass without bulking. A scale in that scenario is very useful and not at all demeaning.

Someone on this very thread thought I was "overweight" because I put on 40 lbs to get into one weight class and then want to take it off ( which is going great btw) to get back in my original weight class. People are really ignorant about weight, scales, and the weight of muscle versus fat. Theyve never EVER had a "weigh in" where every ounce counts so you can compete. Theyve NEVER eaten 5 bunches of bananas to make that weigh in, either. LOL!

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Don't use the scales then.
Why deny others access to scales?
You say scales are being phased out in your experience. That is not my experience in SW England.

So are you anti scales or not?

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 03:19 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

If i had my own gym, i would not allow scales, or i would keep it locked up. I would not want my clients to get scale obsessed.

Easier said than done to just not jump on a scale. Its like asking someone who smokes...just dont smoke then.

I dont own a scale, or i own one that does not work right (it says im overweight

I sort of wish i had a scale at my gym, but they dont allow them and I understand why.

If i really wanted to I could go buy one, but its been over 3 years of not using one, and I have not needed it at all.

I also do not weight train for sport or do any activities where you have to be a certain weight, i just keep in shape.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 03:25 PM
link   

If I ran a gym I would offer scales to my customers.
I would make the strategic business decision that more people would wish to use them than not.
Anyone who chooses to use the free scales suffering stress as a result, would be free to avoid then in future, or find a safe scale-free gym.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join