It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

College removes scales from gym after students complain it's 'triggering'

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Im not that anti-scale. I just have worked in the business and have made the mistakes.

I would suggest to not get on the scale everytime you work out...its not worth it. Once a week or every other week is enough.

It would just be easier to lock the scale up and have a weigh in with my clients once every 2 weeks...which is what I did, but the scale was still there. I pretended to get upset with them when I saw them on the scale, it was all fun and games, but it did sort of piss me off when I told them to wait.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 03:42 PM
link   
a reply to: veracity

I've got scales I never use lol, I've got eyes and use them to determine my preferred body shape.
I also have the advantage of physical work so that keeps me in trim.
I'd have to massively reduce my calorie intake if I worked at a desk.
I don't need scales to tell me that, just a mirror.

...BAN MIRRORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   

congrats on your integrity

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

I've got scales I never use lol, I've got eyes and use them to determine my preferred body shape.
I also have the advantage of physical work so that keeps me in trim.
I'd have to massively reduce my calorie intake if I worked at a desk.
I don't need scales to tell me that, just a mirror.

...BAN MIRRORS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The worst ones were those scales that claimed to give your BMI and etc.. the programmable ones. Talk about hilarious... we chucked it out quickly! LOL!

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Just honesty, but I was taking the piss about banning mirrors, even though they are a source of stress to some...Following your reasoning and fishing about your opinion on mirrors like scales causing stress?

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 03:56 PM
link   

i personally think people like to see themselves working out in the mirror that is why there are so many in gyms.

Even if they are over-weight...just to see them "working it" makes them happy.

They work so hard and sweat so much, then jump on the scale every day, lose nothing and get stressed.

scales are sad

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Scales are factual impartial measuring instruments.
I've never experienced sadness in any way with my scales relationships. They are a tool.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 04:18 PM
link   

I don't think you understand my point but again, congrats for your integrity.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Feel free to educate me, and yep I'm not sure what you mean by integrity?

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Maybe I'm biased bc I have worked in gyms for a long time and perhaps it makes my opinion more truthful but not everyone has your integrity to just stay off the scale. I've seen the trend of "too much scale leads to disappointment", I've done it myself and maybe only someone that has worked in the industry can see it and that is why the average person thinks it ridiculous to ditch the scales.

But gyms are doing it these days and I get why.

It's a lot easier said than done to just stay off a scale, they are very troublesome for personal trainers bc it causes disappointment when you gain a pound or don't lose anything after 3 days of intense work out. The scale does not say that your fat burned and you gained muscle, that is why you weigh more, etc.

It's a great gauge, but not for everyday, which is what people do if it's just sitting there at the gym. It's usually more disappointing than informative

edit on 15-3-2017 by veracity because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   

I get ya

...only ever used a mirror though, actual weight is irrelevant to me just what I want to see in the mirror is my guide.
I then do the calories in/out thing based on how weak I feel based on whatever I'm doing.
I eat as my body burns the energy I choose to provide it.
Scales are irrelevant to me, we all can recognise fat or obese.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I don't see how you can successfully lose weight or get shredded without a scale unless you're pretty overweight. If you're already in shape and dealing in half pounds or a 5 pound range, you absolutely need a scale because the margin of error is a lot smaller than when you're losing 15+ lbs. and you probably need to weigh yourself every day to too. The margin of error is too small not to.

If you're trying to gain weight, you absolutely need a scale and need to weigh yourself multiple times a week. That's because you really want to be gaining .5 lbs a week max otherwise you'll start to get fat or even lose weight, depending on where you go over the small 250 cal/ day margin of error. And a mirror or even a scale once weekly is too imprecise for that.

All you anti-scale people seem to think that everyone shares your own goals or has your own psychological weaknesses and so everyone should be treated the same. That's ignorant.
edit on 3/15/17 by RedDragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 05:29 PM
link   
a reply to: RedDragon

Agreed.
I'm no gym gorilla but many are here.
I've never heard of scales causing problems before, could be a US thing?

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Agreed.
I'm no gym gorilla but many are here.
I've never heard of scales causing problems before, could be a US thing?

I'm not a gym gorilla at all. I'm just not overweight and I'm trying to get ripped. My weight loss goal is in a range of 3-4 lbs. I have to use a scale daily to make sure I'm not messing up my small margin of error. Going by the mirror would be impossible and measuring weekly, when water weight shifts and food in my bowels and poop still up there lol could exceed my margin of error means I could waste weeks at a time. I need to measure daily and use the daily trend to keep my fitness goals successful.

edit on 3/15/17 by RedDragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Seems like loads of work lol

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I wish people would stop immediately blaming the left or right when any event occurs.. it's lame and weak. Also I wish people would stop using that word. I want to pistol-whip the next person that says "triggering."

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 08:45 PM
link   
You have to love when the Right calls the left out correctly, like over removing these scales; but it's such a small victory.

Then the inevitable derail into a fat-shaming thread really shows how immature the party is though, and why everyone hates you, and why you can't get things done either. You think fat shaming will bring your scales back? This thread is such a disgusting trainwreck of something that could have been "All win", but this is ATS after all, so nope, you just make yourself look even more deplorable and ignorant in a situation that should have been easy to handle. Now I have sympathy for these sissies lack of thick skin that I previously didn't, because I'm reminded truly disgusting people exist like they claim; it's you people.
edit on 15-3-2017 by MacK80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 08:57 PM
link   
The idea of removing scales from a gym is so nonsensical that when I read the thread title it didn't even cross my mind that it meant actual scales.

Seriously, I could not comprehend.
I thought scales had another meaning that I was not familiar with.

The idea is so freaking insane that most people would not believe it.

This is not reality. It can't be.
If it is, people have lost their damn minds.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

What about people who are trying to gain weight? Especially college students who can only withstand so much clutter in their 100 sq-ft dorm rooms? Why not let people focus on what they want to focus on?

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 09:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: fleabit
I wish people would stop immediately blaming the left or right when any event occurs.. it's lame and weak. Also I wish people would stop using that word. I want to pistol-whip the next person that says "triggering."

Reading your post has motivated me to consider writing my representative to request pistol whipping of anyone using any form of the word "triggered" be legalized. Whether it's the weak-minded sissy saying they're "triggered" by something, or the fragile snowflake offended by the "triggerees" reaction.

Unfortunately, it seems a good portion of the left/right zombie public would be walking around severely concussed with pistol imprints to the temples all the time.
edit on 3/15/2017 by dogstar23 because: Rong speling

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join