It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bald Eagles Keep Dying - Interior secretary repeals ban on lead bullets.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 05:32 PM
link   
What do you gun owners and hunters think? Is there any situation which any type of regulation on bullets or guns would you be on board with? For example, if the bold eagle, the symbol of the U.S., would be in in jeopardy of extinction by being killed by proxy?

Do alternative bullets that are safe for other scanvengers cost too much? Article says they are readily available and have competitive pricing so hunters can shoot and kill for game in areas where some of these birds are common without chance of poisoning them... how is that unreasonable or 2nd amendment right to bear arms means no condition exists for any regulations to any degree?

"Zinke signed the order on his first day in office (of course he did), overturning a policy implemented by former Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) Director Dan Ashe on Jan. 19, the Obama administration’s last full day in office.

"“It worries me to think about hunting and fishing becoming activities for the land-owning elite,” he said in a statement."

What BS. It worries me that American Bold Eagles are poisoned and/or go extinct the way of the dodo.

"Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke signed an order Thursday overturning a ban on using lead ammunition on wildlife refuges. ... It was meant to help prevent plants and animals from being poisoned by lead left on the ground or in the water.

Interior secretary repeals ban on lead bullets

"We started off with eagles but now we're also testing hawks, owls and other birds." Tompkins found that 80 percent of eagles, 30 percent of hawks and 25 percent of great horned owls had lead in their blood.

Bald Eagles Keep Dying And No One's Talking About It
edit on 11-3-2017 by Area201 because: (no reason given)

My take: Hunting with non poisoning alternative bullets results in WIN WIN for the hunter and the Bald Eagle (and other scavangers). Hunting with lead bullets is a WIN only for lead bullet manufacturers, LOSS for the Eagle and a LOSS for the United States of America.

extra DIV

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Area201

Because they've been brainwashed to believe that all regulations of any kind are bad?

+5 more 
posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Yeah I'm sure it's about lead ammunition. The bald eagles that where devastated in the Hudson valley NY, where said to be the victims of PBC's dumped into the Hudson River from GM, power company, and other supposed corporate villains. Sound like anti gun BS
by the way, they have returned and
I see them almost every day, even with all the shootings in NYC

+7 more 
posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   

so when are wind mills that chop birds (including eagles, owls, hawks etc) out of the sky going to be outlawed?

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Don't believe this stuff about lead getting into these birds by way of buck or bird shot. Its just not happening.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Welcome to the new POS administration, it's here now and looks bleak for the environment. These cockroaches can't see beyond their own back yard or 5 minutes ahead.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I'd like to see the proof that it's solely from hunters using lead bullets, most of which are 90% copper jacketed, with the hunters either missing wildly or shooting animals and inexplicably not taking them out of the woods.

In my area, pretty much everyone hunts, and aside from the random idiot actually shooting one, all our raptors, to include bald eagles, are doing just fine. I personally talk to the local game warden several times a year. If it were an issue, I would know about it, and we're talking a much higher hunter to acreage ratio than a national park.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Area201

"We started off with eagles but now we're also testing hawks, owls and other birds." Tompkins found that 80 percent of eagles, 30 percent of hawks and 25 percent of great horned owls had lead in their blood.

I'm 100% sure that 80% is not from bullets... most likely from industrial factories and fossil fuels.
I'd say your link is fake news....
edit on 11-3-2017 by imitator because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

If the bird is too stupid to avoid the giant wind mills then that's natural selection. Eating food that's dead and poisoned with lead is some another level.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   
If it actually lead being dumped into the environment then ending the EPA would also a great action.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Well if you're a bird and you see a kill you go in to feed. The fact that there are many alternative ways they may be poisoned doesn't excuse not doing something if possible like using alternative bullets for your gaming needs. Are they really that expensive?

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 05:53 PM
link   

You should be much more worried about windfarms, that kill 1 million birds ANNUALLY:
www.fws.gov...

edit on 11-3-2017 by M5xaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   

What do you gun owners and hunters think? Is there any situation which any type of regulation on bullets or guns would you be on board with? For example, if the bold eagle, the symbol of the U.S., would be in in jeopardy of extinction by being killed by proxy?

Do alternative bullets that are safe for other scanvengers cost too much? Article says they are readily available and have competitive pricing so hunters can shoot and kill for game in areas where some of these birds are common without chance of poisoning them... how is that unreasonable or 2nd amendment right to bear arms means no condition exists for any regulations to any degree?

"Zinke signed the order on his first day in office (of course he did), overturning a policy implemented by former Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) Director Dan Ashe on Jan. 19, the Obama administration’s last full day in office.

"“It worries me to think about hunting and fishing becoming activities for the land-owning elite,” he said in a statement."

What BS. It worries me that American Bold Eagles are poisoned and/or go extinct the way of the dodo.

"Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke signed an order Thursday overturning a ban on using lead ammunition on wildlife refuges. ... It was meant to help prevent plants and animals from being poisoned by lead left on the ground or in the water.

My take: Hunting with non poisoning alternative bullets results in WIN WIN for the hunter and the Bald Eagle (and other scavangers). Hunting with lead bullets is a WIN only for lead bullet manufacturers. LOSS for Eagle. LOSS for the United States of America.

The stuff is called Lead, it's toxicity or effects known for around 4000 years. That of course will include anybody who may eat animals killed with bullets. Jesus we're only getting to the stage of persuading China not to use the stuff in paint materials etc. So a numbnut makes a gesture pretty much against an outgoing administration..it seems like that? it only shows more silly coming from a new government, worse still it's promoting a really negative image of today's hominid. Not surprising when the leader's children engage in nothing more that trophyism in dead animal bodies.

www.sciencedirect.com...
www.nwhc.usgs.gov...

Thing is birdies like to eat grit to aid digestion, I guess this marvellous piece of work in the new admin is not a grit eater...hence talking shiite.
edit on 11-3-2017 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Ever wonder why an A.I. would want to eradicate the human specie?

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Another join and dump account. Join and dump crap.

From the source The Dodo

Our emotional approach to content engages and motivates people ­­ with the overarching goal of making caring about animals a mainstream, viral, social cause. We’re committed to looking at the world through animals’ eyes, and engaging our audience through a combination of fun, authentic, meaningful content that helps pave the way for progress.

Emotional approach really says it all. These are not scientists these are people looking to make people decide things based on emotion.

Personally I don't think we should be shooting toxic metals around wherever we like, but realistically this has an incredibly small impact. Lead levels in predatory animals are largely from bioaccumulation, not direct consumption of lead.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   

It has way more to do with lead shot from a shotgun than bullet's.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: AboveBoard

Because they've been brainwashed to believe that all regulations of any kind are bad?

Who is the "they" you refer to?
Couldn't help but play your political identity labeling game could you?
You do realize most people who hunt and rely on the land for survival/sport probably have a better understand of what's best for that land than YOU and a bunch of bureaucrat's a few thousand miles away?
From the OPs source:

“The Obama administration failed to consult with state fish and wildlife agencies or national angling and hunting organizations in issuing this order. This was not a decision based on sound scientific evidence — it was a last second attack on traditional ammunition and our hunting heritage.”

People are not opposed to sensible regulations. They are opposed to stupid regulations that do nothing but make their lives more complicated. That's not being brainwashed... It's being a rational human being. But mass labeling the people that oppose this as brainwashed shows how indoctrinated you are.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy

My take: Hunting with non poisoning alternative bullets results in WIN WIN for the hunter and the Bald Eagle (and other scavangers). Hunting with lead bullets is a WIN only for lead bullet manufacturers. LOSS for Eagle. LOSS for the United States of America.

The stuff is called Lead, it's toxicity or effects known for around 4000 years. That of course will include anybody who may eat animals killed with bullets. Jesus we're only getting to the stage of persuading China not to use the stuff in paint materials etc. So a numbnut makes a gesture pretty much against an outgoing administration..it seems like that? it only shows more silly coming from a new government, worse still it's promoting a really negative image of today's hominid. Not surprising when the leader's children engage in nothing more that trophyism in dead animal bodies.

Exactly how much lead do you suppose eating an animal shot with lead bullets will expose you to? Have you ever seen an eagle or hawk eat? They tear of tiny strips of meat... do you think there is a lot of lead shot that doesn't fall out? Lead is a much bigger issue for fish who consume prey whole and bottom-feeders who suck up large amounts of debris from the bottom. So it makes sense for a ban on lead shot over water because the bioaccumulation would then expose eagles to lead. They could make a great argument about not using lead because of fish, but fish are not emotionally persuasive. So instead they talk about eagles like morons because they want to sway people with emotion instead of science.

It's not that lead is good... it's that these people dumbed it down too much so they could play on emotion. Eating the pellets isn't the big issue.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: JAY1980

www.tourduvalat.org...
www.humanesociety.org...://www.google.ca/
www.nwhc.usgs.gov...

Educate yourself.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Eating food that's dead and poisoned with lead is some another level.

Pray tell, when is the last time you've been walking around and come across an animal that had been shot and killed?

Never. Right. Neither have many eagles.

Now, there may be some eagles that have been shot. They're tough birds and might not even be stopped by a shotgun blast lighter than #1 Buck. Some people won't put up with eagles on (or near) their property. The smart ones never (ever) say a single word about it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join