It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bald Eagles Keep Dying - Interior secretary repeals ban on lead bullets.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ksihkehe
a reply to: Area201

Another join and dump account. Join and dump crap.

From the source The Dodo

Our emotional approach to content engages and motivates people ­­ with the overarching goal of making caring about animals a mainstream, viral, social cause. We’re committed to looking at the world through animals’ eyes, and engaging our audience through a combination of fun, authentic, meaningful content that helps pave the way for progress.

Emotional approach really says it all. These are not scientists these are people looking to make people decide things based on emotion.

Personally I don't think we should be shooting toxic metals around wherever we like, but realistically this has an incredibly small impact. Lead levels in predatory animals are largely from bioaccumulation, not direct consumption of lead.

I don't wish to say a bad word, so I will say that birdies are not so big animals, in any case toxicity is more preferable to 'tiny amounts' like dust and grit, as in unstable Asbestos, and Gypsum rather than big lumps of material, as is a lead pellet that will be ground up in a birds gizzard.
But to be sure you have empathy with animals, that is worthy.
edit on 11-3-2017 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I thought the bald eagle was removed from the federal list of threatened and endangered species.

Due to successful breeding in captivity.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 06:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Area201
What do you gun owners and hunters think? Is there any situation which any type of regulation on bullets or guns would you be on board with?

No.

/thread

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

It was wrongly used by activists in the past, due to it's symbolism. It's prior listing was a purely political move.

The Bald Eagle has never been truly at risk. When they were pushing the false numbers there were more in just a part of Idaho, where I lived at the time, than they admitted to in the entire lower 48 States. Here in Alaska they are incredibly common. I've seen more than fifty in one area on the same day while taking photo's.

On the topic -

I'd have no issue with a regulation about the use of lead, providing it only applied to that and nothing else and the language was clean and easy to understand. I suspect there is more to this story and more included in the involved former regulation as is usually the case. Using something logical to bury purely political crap in is common.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I'm not a hunter -- other than exacting a certain measure of vengeance on the local coyote population from time to time, but I am a gun owner.

It's an arsenal, actually, but that's another story...

I live in a rural area about 4 miles inland from the Puget Sound in north Snohomish County, WA. My property is 48 acres of prime bald eagle habitat backing up to about 1/2 mile of river frontage.

I shoot all the time, ride my big noisy dirt bikes all over the place, and a couple times a year let off the kind of fireworks no civilian should be allowed to own.

For several months in the Fall and Winter my son hunts waterfowl here. He almost shot me twice last season and I don't even look like a duck. My guess is that the eagles (bobcats, coyotes, etc.) get the ducks and geese that get popped by local hunters, but don't have the sense to drop in and say "Hi!".

Even so, I have never seen so many eagles here in my life. In the summertime the sky is filled with them. It's gotten ridiculous.

I have one big male who sits in the middle of a corn field across from my mailbox and squawks at me. I try talking to him, but he just stares back. I have come to the conclusion bald eagles aren't very smart. There are multiple eyries you can only see this time of the year surrounding my property.

I have no idea if the proliferation of bald eagles around here is because of the lead shot ban or just because they truly are like giant sky rats. All I know is that there's a bazillion of them now. We can all untwist our panties about the g*dd*amn eagles...

PS: I took a pic of the eyrie behind my barn, but can't figure out how to post it...
edit on 11-3-2017 by SBMcG because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy

From the source The Dodo

Our emotional approach to content engages and motivates people ­­ with the overarching goal of making caring about animals a mainstream, viral, social cause. We’re committed to looking at the world through animals’ eyes, and engaging our audience through a combination of fun, authentic, meaningful content that helps pave the way for progress.

Emotional approach really says it all. These are not scientists these are people looking to make people decide things based on emotion.

Personally I don't think we should be shooting toxic metals around wherever we like, but realistically this has an incredibly small impact. Lead levels in predatory animals are largely from bioaccumulation, not direct consumption of lead.

I don't wish to say a bad word, so I will say that that birdies are not so big animals, in any case toxicity is more preferable to 'tiny amounts' like dust and grit, as in unstable Asbestos, and Gypsum rather than big lumps of material, as is a lead pellet that will be ground up in a birds gizzard.

Nice ninja edit to add the part about gizzards in your original post but most predatory birds do not grind up their food that way. That is more what occurs in birds who eat grains. It was nice of you to try going back to beat me by preemption though. Better luck next time.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

It was wrongly used by activists in the past, due to it's symbolism. It's prior listing was a purely political move.

The Bald Eagle has never been truly at risk. When they were pushing the false numbers there were more in just a part of Idaho, where I lived at the time, than they admitted to in the entire lower 48 States. Here in Alaska they are incredibly common. I've seen more than fifty in one area on the same day while taking photo's.

On the topic -

I'd have no issue with a regulation about the use of lead, providing it only applied to that and nothing else and the language was clean and easy to understand. I suspect there is more to this story and more included in the involved former regulation as is usually the case. Using something logical to bury purely political crap in is common.

I was just thinking if its a legal kill, why does it matter if the bullet is lead?

I guess I'm not understanding why there would be an issue.

I've poured a few bullets in my time.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 06:51 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 06:52 PM
link   
The lead ban was about disarming Americans nothing more nothing less anybody who think Obama cares about the environment well it was about the vote and his Muslim religion taking over. Now to reopen lead smelting as part of a strategic supply in case of war.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 06:53 PM
link   
If there is going to be a conclusion on causation/correlation, is actual, real, pure SCIENCE going to be used?

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 06:54 PM
link   

a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

If the bird is too stupid to avoid the giant wind mills then that's natural selection. Eating food that's dead and poisoned with lead is some another level.

Are they eating the friggin bullets too?

Maybe it's all the roadkill smothered in exhaust fumes and rubber?

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

Welcome to the new POS administration, it's here now and looks bleak for the environment. These cockroaches can't see beyond their own back yard or 5 minutes ahead.

They managed to stay light years ahead of Hillary and the Democrats...all the way too the end. As for the Bald Eagle...how are they suppose to be getting into lead because of hunters ? most every hunter I know kills to eat which means they are the ones eating any lead. Otherwise I don't understand how they are getting exposed to the lead.

Seems that maybe the source is something other than lead from bird shot or slugs. Perhaps we should look for other sources first or at least find the source and go after it as in cleaning it up
edit on 3/11/2017 by DJMSN because: addition

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   

If the bird is too stupid to avoid the giant wind mills then that's natural selection

Wow, please tell me you didn't learn this in school?

Do a bit of research on the amount of birds killed annually by these ugly wind farms.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Hunting them is not legal and they are not a game animal. They are not in any danger though from other things.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

If the bird is too stupid to avoid the giant wind mills then that's natural selection

Wow, please tell me you didn't learn this in school?

Do a bit of research on the amount of birds killed annually by these ugly wind farms.

I'm not familiar with how many birds are killed annually by wind farms. It does seem they would be able to avoid them if they were smart enough, but I have not researched, I'll look into it. I think in the big picture the main shadow government agenda is suppressing alternative energy technology extracted either from crashed ufos or disocovered by inventors that would replace the ugly wind farms and fossil fuels. This is really the mother of all above top secrets and would help even this situation.
edit on 11-3-2017 by Area201 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Ammunition made of steel, copper and bismuth can be used.
Banning the lead shot does not have much of an impact on hunters.
I'm all for getting lead out of shotgun shells.

ETA It's not the bald eagles in particular I'm concerned about, it's all that lead getting placed in places it's not supposed to be.
edit on 11-3-2017 by D8Tee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 07:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy

From the source The Dodo

I don't wish to say a bad word, so I will say that that birdies are not so big animals, in any case toxicity is more preferable to 'tiny amounts' like dust and grit, as in unstable Asbestos, and Gypsum rather than big lumps of material, as is a lead pellet that will be ground up in a birds gizzard.

Nice ninja edit to add the part about gizzards in your original post but most predatory birds do not grind up their food that way. That is more what occurs in birds who eat grains. It was nice of you to try going back to beat me by preemption though. Better luck next time.

the edit was already there, just that you had replied in the meantime, as a matter of fact my concern is coming from 9/11 when many people thought that dust and dirt in their back posts, was something minor which is far from the case. It used be a, (reluctant) part of my job in the civil service at one time, until I started to realise that me, this ignoramus who worked for my government, that this government, also had not much of a clue as to what materials they had in their inventory were pretty dangerous to humans in use and application...like 245-T. After that the trail just went on and on..it's a long story, but I never nowadays miss an opportunity to talk about it..that's the way I am, and I make no apology.
edit on 11-3-2017 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

Hunting them is not legal and they are not a game animal. They are not in any danger though from other things.

Oh, I seem to be completely off center today.

Out-of-Whack.

Time to stop posting for a while.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 07:47 PM
link   

What do you gun owners and hunters think?

I think few people hunt eagles with rifles or sidearms.

I think there are very few bullets lying about for eagles to eat.

I think it sounds like emotional horse puckey that sounds good at first listen, but the stats don't bear it out.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 07:48 PM
link   
The bald eagles would probably do best not to eat off my land.
There is a whole lot of lead in the soil from many shotgun blasts over many years .
Maybe that's why those carrots tasted funny.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join