It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US-academics-hit-England-rugby-team

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64
a reply to: SprocketUK

So sorry
the ignorance is spreading across the pond

At least a majority of our states do NOT support the madness.

No need to apologise on behalf of those ignoramuses. We all have our weirdos.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 04:41 PM
link   
No disrespect to Professor Wright, but he should be thanking the English for bringing the trade in slaves to an end.

He probably thinks the naming a ship the HMS Black Joke is tasteless.

Stopping the trade in slaves to the Americas

Anyway, Rugby is a game in a class of its own. It transcends crass Yankee race politics, so who cares what the guy thinks?

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

Anyway, Rugby is a game in a class of its own. It transcends crass Yankee race politics, so who cares what the guy thinks?

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Slavery ended in the west. It was a good thing.

So why should we be embarrassed of repurposing what is an awesome piece of music?

The English language and the accompanying culture is a living thing meaning that meanings of words and ideas change through time.

I mean, once upon a time if someone said something was fully sick to me I would have thought someone was gravely ill. But nooo it now means something or someone is pretty awesome.

Those who's forefathers were affected by the blight of slavery should rejoice that such a song has been transformed from a thing of soulful despair to a sporting call to arms to bring people together. Because in doing so, it's a small symbol that we are all free and that something that was once mournful lament now inspires nations.
edit on 9-3-2017 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

I've heard that we do that because we used to chop those two fingers off of French Archers during god knows which war...

Any truth to that do you know Disraeli, you're knowledgable I believe.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408

I've heard that we do that because we used to chop those two fingers off of French Archers during god knows which war...

The French threatened to do that to the English.

They didn't have archers, they hired Genovese crossbowmen instead.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Feel free to substitute gestures for whatever means "go screw yourself" in your culture when dealing with the snowflakes.

Back when we and The French weren't best of friends, they used to threaten to cut off the index and middle fingers of our bowmen. After Agincourt, the victorious bowmen taunted the French prisoners with this gesture.

That's the ticket.

I was almost right, though my memory fails me often.

Edit:

originally posted by: SprocketUK

The French threatened to do that to the English.

They didn't have archers, they hired Genovese crossbowmen instead.

History isn't really my strong suit.

I should have continued reading instead of getting trigger happy to post incorrect trivia.

edit on 9-3-2017 by Hazardous1408 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408
According to the story, it goes back to Agincourt and the French habit of cutting the fingers off English archers ("look, we've still got them"). However, I would like to see the story in a contemporary chronicle before I believe it.
I suspect it of being one of those rationalisations that are made up retrospectively.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Sorry for dragging this off topic.

This professor needs a wake up call.

Singing an anthem is not cultural appropriation just as me singing Billie Jean isn't cultural appropriation.

It's done to lament or honour.

Keep this sh*t on your side of the isle.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Sorry for dragging this off topic.

This professor needs a wake up call.

Singing an anthem is not cultural appropriation just as me singing Billie Jean isn't cultural appropriation.

It's done to lament or honour.

Keep this sh*t on your side of the isle.

Bloody well said

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

I know...

I'm so ashamed...

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Well, after today's utter destruction of the Scots, I think Eddie Jones should hire the woman as a motivational speaker.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   

I may need to stay off ATS for few days.

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Cultural appropriation?

It's about Elijah!

II Kings 2:
9 And it happened when they had gone over, Elijah said to Elisha. Ask what I shall do for you before I am taken away from you. And Elisha said, please, let a double portion of your spirit be upon me.
10 And he said, You have asked a hard thing, but if you see me taken from you, it shall be so to you; but if not, it shall not be.
11 And it happened as they went on and talked, behold, a chariot of fire and horses of fire came, and they separated between them both. And Elijah went up in a tempest into Heaven.
12 And Elisha saw, and he cried, My father, my father, the chariot of Israel and its horsemen! And he saw him no more. And he took hold of his clothes and tore them in two pieces.
edit on 11-3-2017 by RudeCherub because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2017 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

I may need to stay off ATS for few days.

Hey, at least you have Italy next week, fella! You should rack up at least a bonus point win unless they get their new "anti-rugby" thing working again.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join