It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are your top 3 favorite books?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Mine would have to be:

Hidden Dimensions: The Unification of Physics & Consciousness by B Alan Wallace

Bridging the gap between the world of science and the realm of the spiritual, B. Alan Wallace introduces a natural theory of human consciousness that has its roots in contemporary physics and Buddhism. Wallace's "special theory of ontological relativity" suggests that mental phenomena are conditioned by the brain, but do not emerge from it. Rather, the entire natural world of mind and matter, subjects and objects, arises from a unitary dimension of reality that is more fundamental than these dualities, as proposed by Wolfgang Pauli and Carl Jung.

The Mind & The Brain: Neuroplasticity and the Power of Mental Force by Jeffrey M Schwartz

A groundbreaking work of science that confirms, for the first time, the independent existence of the mind–and demonstrates the possibilities for human control over the workings of the brain.

Conventional science has long held the position that 'the mind' is merely an illusion, a side effect of electrochemical activity in the physical brain. Now in paperback, Dr Jeffrey Schwartz and Sharon Begley's groundbreaking work, The Mind and the Brain, argues exactly the opposite: that the mind has a life of its own.Dr Schwartz, a leading researcher in brain dysfunctions, and Wall Street Journal science columnist Sharon Begley demonstrate that the human mind is an independent entity that can shape and control the functioning of the physical brain. Their work has its basis in our emerging understanding of adult neuroplasticity–the brain's ability to be rewired not just in childhood, but throughout life, a trait only recently established by neuroscientists.

Isis Unveiled by H P Blavatsky

Creating a sensation when it was first published in 1877, the first major work by the young Russian noblewoman who would found the Theosophical Society devoted 1200 pages to the mysteries of ancient and modern science and theology. This new edition abridged by Theosophical scholar Michael Gomes breathes fresh life into this classic of Western esoteric thinking. Stripped of its lengthy quotations from other writers and its repetitious commentary, Isis Unveiled is revealed to be a clear and readable exploration of the universal truths of the Ancient Wisdom Tradition by one of the most remarkable women of modern times.

I read non-fiction almost exclusively, and then I log onto ATS

How about y'all?

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 02:30 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Not excluding any one genre, my top three would be...

The Outsiders : S. E. Hinton
- A hard luck classic, whenever I get pissed off at the world, at least on a social level, I ways turn to back to it as an ode and a reminder to stay righteous, 'stay gold'.

The Road : Cormac McCarthy
Probably the greatest and most realistic take on a post apocalyptic America. While no doubt a work of fiction, you're not entertaining yourself when you're reading this book, you're preparing.

The Hero With a Thousand Faces : Joseph Campbell
A premise on the 'hero' narrative and soul archetype found within and driving the lives of all good men. Down and out? This one's a life saver. Campbell's work is what inspired George Lucas to write Star Wars.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 05:50 AM
link   
A book called the alchemist by paulo Coelho.. I've bought this book more than a dozen times and always end up giving it away to people to read.
A life changing book for some, including myself..

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 05:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Misterlondon

I've reached a point where I will no longer loan people my books and or movies. All I can do is recommend something to someone, beyond that if I want to be absolutely sure they have a copy it requires me to physically purchase a second copy as a gift.

It's unfortunate because I'm constantly telling my friends they need to read 'such and such' book.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 06:22 AM
link   
a reply to: ColdWisdom

Process and Reality
by Alfred North Whitehead

One of the major philosophical texts of the 20th century, Process and Reality is based on Alfred North Whitehead’s influential lectures that he delivered at the University of Edinburgh in the 1920s on process philosophy. Whitehead’s master work in philosophy, Process and Reality propounds a system of speculative philosophy, known as process philosophy, in which the various elements of reality into a consistent relation to each other. It is also an exploration of some of the preeminent thinkers of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, such as Descartes, Newton, Locke, and Kant.

All That Is Solid Melts Into Air: The Experience of Modernity
by Marshall Berman

All That Is Solid Melts into Air is a dazzling exploration of modern consciousness. In this unparalleled book, Marshall Berman takes account of the social changes that swept millions of people into the capitalist world and the impact of modernism on art, literature and architecture. This new edition contains an updated preface addressing the critical role the onset of modernism played in popular democratic upheavals in the late 1920s.

Excursions in Number Theory
By: C. Stanley Ogilvy, John T. Anderson

- See more at: store.doverpublications.com...

"A splendidly written, well selected and presented collection … I recommend the book unreservedly to all readers, in or out of professional mathematics, who like to 'follow the gleam' of numbers." — Martin Gardner. The theory of numbers is an ancient and fascinating branch of mathematics that plays an important role in modern computer theory. It is also a popular topic among amateur mathematicians (who have made many contributions to the field) because of its accessibility: it does not require advanced knowledge of higher mathematics. This delightful volume, by two well-known mathematicians, invited readers to join a challenging expedition into the mystery and magic of number theory. No special training is needed — just high school mathematics, a fondness for figures, and an inquisitive mind. Such a person will soon be absorbed and intrigued by the ideas and problems presented here. Beginning with familiar notions, the authors skillfully yet painlessly transport the reader to higher realms of mathematics, developing the necessary concepts along the way, so that complex subjects can be more easily understood. Included are thorough discussions of prime numbers, number patterns, irrationals and iterations, and calculating prodigies, among other topics.

The last one is about math, but to those who have not had much math or might struggle with concepts in math, the authors do a fantastic job of taking some fairly difficult ideas in number theory and make them accessible to the lay person.

I guess these are my 3 favorites, but any non-fiction on math, physics or philosophy will usually peak my interest so, I look forward to others list.

thanks for sharing,

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Mans Search For Meaning by Victor Frankl

Into The Wild by Jon Krakauer

Life Of Pi by Yann Martel (fellow Canadian)

Mans search for meaning was a book that made me rethink my life as an 18 year old young man,ALWAYS in trouble with the law.
I read that book on the side of the road while hitch hiking to jail to serve weekends and never looked back.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I don't think I could round it down to three books.
Maybe three authors, but not books.
That would be tough too.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 07:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColdWisdom

I've reached a point where I will no longer loan people my books and or movies. All I can do is recommend something to someone, beyond that if I want to be absolutely sure they have a copy it requires me to physically purchase a second copy as a gift.

It's unfortunate because I'm constantly telling my friends they need to read 'such and such' book.

I hear you.. have lost a lot of stuff in the past.. having said that, if I have something that i feel will change someone's life ill happily hand it over.. if that means buying it again, so be it.. I've always felt that with the alchemist.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Plum island, Bible,that wan option...as
season of the monsoon

sorry my keyboard is silly

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Ha ha....... Argentbenign, Touche't, It sort of struck me like an 'Amazon' site, a book sales site. I could site authors, but individual books..? J R R Tolkien trilogy would conclude three choices, all by the same author.

Now were you to ask authors.....

edit on 28-2-2017 by Plotus because: add

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 10:11 AM
link   
This is a tough question. If I could only list 3, it would have to be:

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig
Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabakov
Reading the Rocks: the Autobiography of the Earth by Marcia Bjornerud

Siddhartha by Herman Hesse and Leaves of Grass by Walt Whitman are my runner's-up.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   
The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

Play it From the Heart by Neal Morgan

The Last Centurian by John Ringo

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   
the fourth one, sexing the cherry
the title doesn't give anything away..
best part i think if i recall is not comprehending a mans request of sort of action.
over twnty years ago i read it...or so...19 years ago maybee, not sure

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 08:59 PM
link   
The Alchemist by Paolo Coelho
Scythe by Neil Schusterman
Enders Game by Orson Scott Card

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Hehe I posted first and then went over comments... Awesomebto see I'm not the first to mention that book.

Siddhartha life of pi and into the wild are definiteit up there too... I felt like in high school into the wild was about me haha

top topics

join