It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Karma and its Existence

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 10:01 PM
link   
She is claimed to be a B****, but to whom? Who does this sharp double edged sword apply to and under what circumstances is it universally applied?

Personally, I've always believed in a reap what you sow mentality. You get out what you put in. Insert your favorite equalizing cliche' here. Could be because I'm a Libra or indoctrination. Whether conscious or unconsciously, I've felt and also seen in others, the karmic effect cut down those due some sort of repentance. However, I've also, as you as well I'm sure, seen quite the opposite.

Some see absolved of this rule. Through the annuls of time, we can observe where there was no Karma put into place and deeds unpunished. Sometimes over a lifetime. Perhaps Karma goes by the Peter-Pan rule. It only exists if you believe in it?

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 10:06 PM
link   
In this life I have seen so many cases of individuals who live lives that should generate bad karma yet they seem to coast through life unaffected

Just as I have seen good people stricken with such unfortunate circumstances that it just does not seem fair.

So it is difficult for me to tell whether or not karma actually exists.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

I have a fondness for the aphorisms on the temple walls of Luxor. Of the 42 or so aphorism, this one is what you are digging for as an emerald. Keep in mind that all aphorisms should be turned as turning phrases. In other words, you must say them in relative to see the absolute nature (Dharma) of the truth held within.

For every joy, there is a price to pay.

For every price you pay, there is a joy.

Karma is not simply sin. There is also good karma. Religion is a much mistranslated word. Religion is what you do for others. This is paying the price for the joy. In Egypt, there is right (giving) and left (reception). Taking is the first aphorism. Take a joy and pay a price. Giving and receiving is the second aphorism. Suffer for others and joy comes.

In truth, suffering is the only way to end suffering. But say, how is this the case? Is compassion for others payment as reward? This would be desire for the reward. Desire brings suffering as a joy requiring a payment. Is compassion for others suffering simply for their own good? With non-attachment to the fruit of desire, the act itself becomes the joy. Act without desire for the fruit. Here's the secret of the flower in my hand. Detachment from desire is the end of suffering. Service is a joy, which is the heart of religion.

Good Karma is paying the Karma of others for them. You give. They receive. The same treasury you give from is the same one you give to.

edit on 27-2-2017 by DayAfterTomorrow because: Reasons

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Perhaps Karma goes by the Peter-Pan rule. It only exists if you believe in it?

Nah..the rule you follow is to create multiple accounts to star yourself,then Google the link given and scan the comments for the best response and mirror it, as well as tweak your posts to ensure you connect with the current paradigms.

Easy Karma!

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: DayAfterTomorrow

Interesting. Also, handy insight.

The question remains however, and that those that would take are not due their "price." Those that would not suffer can still live their lives reaping the joy.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: BestinShow

I'll stick with just using my one. Let my virtual Karma stand on its own!

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: GoShredAK

Excellent observations. I've seen the same, thus this OP. Always a curious issue.

posted on Feb, 27 2017 @ 11:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: BestinShow

Perhaps Karma goes by the Peter-Pan rule. It only exists if you believe in it?

Nah..the rule you follow is to create multiple accounts to star yourself,then Google the link given and scan the comments for the best response and mirror it, as well as tweak your posts to ensure you connect with the current paradigms.

Easy Karma!

Karma is a spiritual principal - it works/acts/exists whether you believe in it or not. Kinda like gravity.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 12:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: GoShredAK
In this life I have seen so many cases of individuals who live lives that should generate bad karma yet they seem to coast through life unaffected

Just as I have seen good people stricken with such unfortunate circumstances that it just does not seem fair.

So it is difficult for me to tell whether or not karma actually exists.

My understanding of Karma is that is related to soul development over many lifetimes, so it would be hard to use any single lifetime to judge it.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 12:47 AM
link   
There seem to be at least 2 separate ideas of what karma is. In the South, our version of karma is basically "what goes around comes around", which is just a variation of "an eye for an eye". But I think the original Hindu concept of karma is more like "how your actions affect your surroundings, personal experiences, and your future".

The 2nd form is the one I tend to focus on. When we're negative, people and animals treat us differently than they do when we're being positive. It's like how some people are more likely to help someone who is trying to help himself/herself. Or how others will purposely avoid a grumpy or deceitful person.

As you can probably tell, the 2nd/original concept of karma is neither a good or bad thing. It doesn't really have anything to do with justice; it's more of a cause & effect thing. So maybe that's why you're not seeing it in some of those instances?

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 12:58 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Perhaps. My whole thought process on the subject could be way off. If that is the case then the common western version of Karma has been misrepresented by and large. As you stated, they are intertwined given the cliches I used in the OP as well as the one you provided.

I find it interesting the lines of similarity across many religions and belief systems.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Karma is what you make of it. it's either just a cause or effect thing or some kind of divine justice.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 01:29 AM
link   

No worries. There's a concept called "interpretatio christiana" which involves taking non-Christian things and giving them Christian-capable interpretations. If I had to guess, I'd say that's why we're taught that "karma" is basically just a form of "an eye for an eye" here.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 01:36 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant

Pagan roots as well.

What Is The Law Of Accountability?
The Law of Accountability is also known as the Law of Attraction (what we put out we get back, what we express we receive). How we think each morning starts the process of creation. Thought is energy that we put into motion on the ethereal plane. It moves around us, through us and walks the path we walk until it manifests in physical form. Once in physical form, the event created by our thought will generate a reaction from us. Again, creating a thought that creates a pattern of energy that we put into motion. It's a cycle of energy that we establish around ourselves each moment of our lives. In other words, this is the Law of Accountability in action. What you put out, you get back. That law is not just for spells or rituals. It's for how you live your life and conduct yourself through out your life.
A belief that any energy put out into the divine universe will return to the sender three times. Ancient beliefs state the senders mind, body and spirit, (thus the threefold concept) is accountable for all actions. In actuality, this isn't really a law of return as much as it is a law of accountability. You are responsible for all your actions not just the results of those actions. So theoretically you are accountable at the time the action is created.

www.paganspath.com...

Karma, eye for an eye, reap what you sow etc seem to be a very unifying subject matter.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Karma, though, is intrinsic to reincarnation.
For those of Abrahamic faiths, an anathema. For them, retribution takes other forms.

Still, it all amounts to; "Be good. Or else." Seems to be a cornerstone whether or not it has any actuality. Be good. Or else.

edit on 2/28/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 02:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

That's sort of what I was getting at, along with the commonality among differing faiths/beliefs. It's the "or else" thing that has me wanting to have a discussion. Subjectively, it is easy to miss a karmic effect being taken upon someone else. Meanwhile, if your going through a hard time one might ask why.

Perhaps it's all just mental conditioning. Outside of the rule of law, what are the consequences for bad actions besides being held accountable by other humans?

Now if we were to venture outside the scope of one lifetime there would be cause for argument, but within, it hardly seems to be a solid theory even though it is celebrated among many if not most humans in some form.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Outside of the rule of law, what are the consequences for bad actions besides being held accountable by other humans?

From where we started, the consequences were being cast out to hunt and gather on your own. Good luck with that. Instant "karma."

With larger and more societies that wasn't so bad, you can just move on if you don't get caught and clubbed to death. Thus, the "or else." Even if it seems like you get away with it, you don't really. Makes the victims feel better. I guess. "Yeah, he screwed you big time. But don't worry...karma..."

edit on 2/28/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 06:24 AM
link   

You will find the answer in many places. In a book called the Astasahasrika, Karma is outlined by every questions you could ask. In the Bible, "they have their reward already." In other words, the reward is not just here in this life. Our Higher natures are above in another world. Reaping here is not always the point of what we gain or lose above. To gain in this world, we must make contact with our higher natures above. This is called practice. A person practices to perform here. Joy comes later. So does pain for the person who lives for this life only.

RUMI

Whoever labors for the glory of God, though both
their eyes are sealed, their labor is not lost. Even
an atom’s weight of good is not lost. Though all
within is dark and veiled, and they do not see how
far they have progressed, still in the end they will
know. “This world is the seedplot of the world to
come.” Whatever they sow here, they will reap in
the next world.

RUMI

“If you turn to truth and the righteous
way, God will deliver you out of bondage. He will
restore everything you have lost, and much more,
including treasures in the world to come.”

RUMI on Meditation

The upshot of these words is this: absorb yourself
with the World to come so that World will
pursue you. “Sitting” means to sit detached from
this world while being absorbed in the affairs of
the world to come. Those who run for the sake of
the other World, they are truly seated. If they are
seated for the sake of the present world, they are
running.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Karma is a boomerang, what you do comes back to you eventually.

It also works in its own time in perfect ways.

posted on Feb, 28 2017 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Karma a lot like physics, but then there is a creepy, paranoid side . Why do the good an naive suffer that are supposed to deserve royalty, where the bad and the greedy happily help themselves like one passage in the bible say's.

Machiavelli might have something to say.

"Beware of that Dog you used an abused, because sure it won't bite you because you feed it, but one day you won't have anything to hand it, and it will bite that hand off to, and it will really feed."

Or how about, an Elephant doesn't forget, good or bad.
edit on 28-2-2017 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join