It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

United States Could Join The British Commonwealth As ‘Associate Member’

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 05:19 PM
link   
I heard about this today and am surprised that more news outlets aren't reporting this. Here is an excerpt from a Breitbart report:

The Royal Commonwealth Society (RCS) is to open a branch in New York with a view to bringing the United States into the Commonwealth of Nations as an Associate Member.

The Commonwealth is a network of fifty-two countries drawn almost exclusively from former members of the British Empire. It promotes “mutually advantageous” links between countries which can be “reliable friends” to one another, due to their shared heritage and common law values. At its core at the sixteen “Commonwealth realms”, which share Queen Elizabeth II as Head of State, including Australia, Canada and the United Kingdom.

The director of the Royal Commonwealth Society , Michael Lake CBE, told the Daily Telegraph that a narrow focus on the European Union (EU) has led to Britain missing out on opportunities presented by its Commonwealth links.

Breitbart report dated 2/23/17

Here is an excerpt from another report:

The Royal Commonwealth Society is planning to open a branch in New York with a view to bringing the US into the fold as an "associate member". The project, said to be backed by the Queen, has come about in part as a result of Donald Trump's fondness for Britain and the Royal Family. It follows efforts to develop the Commonwealth as a tool for building relationships on foreign policy and trade following Britain's exit from the EU.

Lake said the plans had been hastened by the "opportunity of a new president, and the slightly dangerous but great fun opportunity that the 'Bad Boys of Brexit' offered".

In December, Lake wrote a letter to Trump, which was hand-delivered by Andrew Wigmore, an aide to Nigel Farage, and then passed on by the former Ukip leader.

Wigmore joined Farage and Arron Banks, the millionaire businessman, in visiting Trump after the US election and continues to have close ties with the administration.

Farage, who has emerged as an ally of Trump, promoted the idea with senior aides, reportedly presenting the letter to Steve Bannon, the president's chief strategist.

Source from New Zealand

I said before the election that it would be nice if we could revert back to the Monarchy as I grew tired of the corruption that permeates Washington. This was prior to the election of President Trump.

What would be worse - putting up with the likes of our corrupt politicians or having HM the Queen as head of state? I admire the Queen for her years of public service, but many people would most likely not like the idea.

Shouldn't the American people vote on this?

I suspect that Brexit may be one reason this idea came about. Thoughts, anyone?

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: dianajune

Shouldn't the American people vote on this?

We already did.

Independence Day
Independence Day of the United States, also referred to as the Fourth of July or July Fourth in the U.S., is a federal holiday commemorating the adoption of the Declaration of Independence 241 years ago in 1776 on July 4 by the Continental Congress. It declared that the thirteen American colonies regarded themselves as a new nation, the United States of America, and were no longer part of the British Empire.

Independence Day is commonly associated with fireworks, parades, barbecues, carnivals, fairs, picnics, concerts, baseball games, family reunions, and political speeches and ceremonies, in addition to various other public and private events celebrating the history, government, and traditions of the United States. Independence Day is the National Day of the United States.

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 05:27 PM
link   
a reply to: dianajune

Cool.

This should be an interesting topic.

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Good one.... and very true.

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 05:29 PM
link   
It's on Breitbart, and you think it's a legitimate source of correct information ?

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 05:30 PM
link   

It probably is..an automatic British passport, all American citizens will be able to step over the the immigrant bodies at the airports ...etc.
I'll read it again in case Breibart it's an old Mlio story.
Just to add Nigel Farage is in the mix somehow....now he is a joke.

edit on 26-2-2017 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Breitbart is FAKE news.

Derp.

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   

The Queen doesn't really do that much other than appear on our cash .... a lot of people think the house o Windsor are just a drain on our resources. ..

Or as my pal says blood sucking leeches ....

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 05:43 PM
link   
As an Aussie I give you Yanks permission to join the Commonwealth as an associate member but you cant play in the Commonwealth games, that belongs to Australia.

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Semidemigod

The Queen doesn't really do that much other than appear on our cash .... a lot of people think the house o Windsor are just a drain on our resources. ..

Or as my pal says blood sucking leeches ....

They do bring in a lot of tourist dollars. in fact, if it weren't for the royal residences and the huge houses now in the National Trust (having been taken from the land owners through inheritance taxes), there wouldn't be many tourists at all. Well, HMS Victory, of course, but you catch my drift. There's not much else to see. so you need to balance the cost of royalty against the tourist dollars before you condemn the whole mess.

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 05:47 PM
link   
No tea wasters allowed.

You made your decision At Boston on 16th December 1773.

The unpleasantness that came a few years later pales in comparison to the Boston atrocity.

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Here are some point's about the commonwealth.
www.quora.com...
www.economist.com...

It is a Business club, an economic block and little else but it has a hell of a lot of members and becoming a member for the US would merely open up other trade agreements to the US though it usually has it's own anyway.

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

wouldn't they spend the money somewhere's else? Sounds a lot like NFL stadium arguments.

Or is going to see the royal families possessions some sort of pilgrimage for commonwealth citizens?

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 05:50 PM
link   

I said before the election that it would be nice if we could revert back to the Monarchy as I grew tired of the corruption that permeates Washington. This was prior to the election of President Trump.
Does this mean that we up north can de-port all those Loyalist refugees back to the US ?
inquiring minds need to know .

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Funny thing is... We would have millions of people that are not even citizens voting if it were up to a vote.

What does an associate member entail?

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Well, if the USA joins the Commonwealth, you guys won't have to worry about Canada invading anymore.
So, there's that I guess.

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 06:08 PM
link   
You're going to have to learn cricket. That's obligatory.
You'll soon pick it up. It's like baseball, but with only two bases, and higher scores.

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Imagine how foot ball is really going to mess with their minds ...Got to watch the compromised game that will produce

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 06:26 PM
link   
babybunnies:

Breitbart is not the only news outlet that is reporting this. I quoted an excerpt from a source in New Zealand, and there are others as well.
edit on 26-2-2017 by dianajune because: typo

posted on Feb, 26 2017 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy

It probably is..an automatic British passport, all American citizens will be able to step over the the immigrant bodies at the airports ...etc.
I'll read it again in case Breibart it's an old Mlio story.
Just to add Nigel Farage is in the mix somehow....now he is a joke.

This would be an interesting alternative to the European Union. If this comes about, the powers-that-be in the EU won't be very pleased as it would give Britain and the U.S. many economic benefits. Brexit is still taking forever. The EU doesn't want to let go of its prized possession.

Farage is an interesting character. A "joke?" Not imo, but very interesting.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join