It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baby left inside locked car at Texas movie theater, parents not arrested due to culture

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2017 @ 11:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver
a reply to: TheFatefulDay

No officer, i am not trespassing on my neighbor's land. I am invoking manifest destiny and claiming it as my own. You see, i am caucasion of european decent, stealing land is a traditional part of my culture.

Another great example of a missed opportunity for a teachable moment! Where the hell were the tribal police when these schmoes took the land away from their rightful owners? Guess they got off with a warning.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 03:59 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

whisky tango blank is wrong with the city pd there that is no kinda excuse unless this guy was a diplomat and had immunity . dud and wife should have been arrested and child protective services called. this is some straight up pc bull doodie

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 04:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

you sir or madam are full of manure . they broke the law. a child was endangered. this is texas not saudi arabia. what ever there culture if it endangers someone they can't use that as an excuse its not rascist because there is only one race the human race. its culturally allowable to stone women who commit adultery in some countries in middle east so if the cop come across the same couple and husband and a geoup of men were throwing rocks at his wife to kill her because he thought she looked like she was going to wink at ticket counter at theater you would be ok with that too because that too is part of the culture?

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 04:25 AM
link   

I don't give two squats where they are from, that endangered that child and is illegal. Culturally ok in whatever crap hole desert they are from doesn't make it ok here! Clap em in irons!

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Selective Enforcement is anything new. It's the same reason politicians, people of influence and LEOs are almost always let go or given lighter sentences when they break laws. Of course there are examples to be held up here and there, but as a rule, most laws are just for us "little people".

Could have been as simple as calling in the names, getting a "hit", and being ordered to let them go.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 07:38 AM
link   
So in the desert country of Saudi Arabia it's an accepted practice to leave your children in the car? How would they survive?

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 08:32 AM
link   
The cops were probably like:

"Bill, if we arrest them and take them in, there's gonna be protests. We'll be branded anti-Muslum. We'll be here until 11 PM TOMORROW night have to defend ourselves for enforcing the law. We'll be plastered all over the news. We'll have to go to court over all this...is it worth it?"

You know...no one died. No one was kidnapped. I say we buy the excuse, forget having to deal with all that other crap and go get donuts."

"Sounds good to me. Lets roll out."

----

Not a good excuse, but in today's climate, not as improbable as you think. I happen to work in an industry that interfaces with a lot of cops (from all over) and many of them are worried with how things are going and many have said they are retiring the moment the opportunity presents itself. There are quite a few that hate all the politics and other bad cops out there giving them all bad names...quite a few of them are just done with doing there jobs and then getting crucified for it.

but who knows, these cops could have been incompetent, selective enforcement, not all cops are good guys, etc.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 09:10 AM
link   
This is the reason we have courts. The police issue the citations (ignorance of the law does Not matter) Then the opportunity to plead your case in court is available. They could have pleaded for a lower charge/fine in court. When did Police take on Judge duties as well?

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: ROBOTNINJADRAGON

. The idea the little snot can fend for himself for an hour isn't liberal...So who exactly are you guys crying about this? My mom left me in the car before. Once for a whole hour!!!! 

That little snot you're referring to was a baby. So while dear old dad and mum are out drinking, they leave a baby alone in a car and you think that's OK mate because? Your own mummy left you alone in a car? So that's what's wrong with you. Nice clarification there.
edit on 16-2-2017 by Archonic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   
wow I wonder what favor the cops would do them if they had found a homosexual and hanged him off a building or found a married woman having sex with a guy and the couple was found to have buried the woman in the ground with her head sticking out then crushed it flat with big stones then gave the man involved ten lashes from a nine tail cat. That's both the law of their land AND their culture as it follows what is prescribed in the Koran and supported by many a haddith hat came sometime afterward.

Furthermore I am highly suspect as to if that is really part of the culture or not. it's 115+ degrees there in SA and while I would understand if it were reported that it was part of the culture for daughter's and mothers to stay outside in the car or at home since only men can go sit together and watch a flick, leaving just the child doesn't seem like anything a culture would do that hasn't died out already from stupidity...

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 02:36 PM
link   
This story details the stupidity of the police and anyone else who believed the cock-and-bull story rather than revealing Saudi Arabian culture.

If a baby is left in a car in Saudi Arabia it will almost certainly die, so it may make more sense that the guy made that story up to try to get out of being arrested, and it worked.

If a guy is callous enough to leave their child in a car (there have been idiots of non-muslim cultures who have done this) they could well be senseless enough to try to make a story up on the spot to the police too.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 02:41 PM
link   

This is child neglect. Enforce the laws of this country.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 06:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker
How nice of law enforcement to let the parents who left their baby locked in the car while they went to watch a movie go. I do like the fact that they warned if a normal American did this that they would be arrested.

kutv.com...

Police were called to the parking lot around 11 p.m. on Feb. 11. The couple was found inside the theater with their 4-year-old child inside.
"It is a violation of law to leave a child unattended in a vehicle," Corpus Christi police told KIII-TV 3News. "There were no arrests made last night."
The reason? It was something police weren't expecting to hear.

"What they found out is that the family is from Saudi Arabia and they said that this is culturally acceptable for them -- it's normal."

Authorities aren't sure how long the family has been living in the United States, but decided to show "cultural sensitivity" and let the family go this time.

"If it was someone who grew up in the United States, of course the outcome may be very different," a spokesman for the Corpus Christi Police Department said.

Laws are laws...if we were in their country and we did something 'normal' for us...wouldn't we be held to their laws?

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 07:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: bally001
a reply to: PlasticWizard

Yeah, I see this. "Yeah officer, in my aussie culture its alright to drive drunk in an unregistered motor car with no licence with 12 passengers, whats the problem?"

kind regards,

bally

That wouldn't work because Australian still = White.

Reap that White Privilege.

On topic though: Wow, this is completely insane. I don't honestly even know WTF to say.

posted on Feb, 16 2017 @ 09:01 PM
link   
This is a whole new level of what the hell.

I'm sitting here trying and failing to even find a devil's advocate way to look at this and failing miserably. This is a very unwise, very stupid decision and begs the question of whether or not there was more to this that the police are covering up. Culture should have zero effect on how they responded. As Americans, we are told ignorance of the law is not an excuse, even if there's no way the average human could possibly know every law so intimately that we can pull them all up 24/7 to evaluate every action we take ahead of time.

Was this family highly connected, perhaps? Being protected in some manner by diplomatic ties?

Ugh, it's not like we're talking jaywalking or littering here. This is leaving a child alone in a car at night for hours.

No. Words.

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

Child neglect is a cultural thing now?

It was a 90 minute movie. Not that long. I remember being left in the car while my stepfather went to grab a drink at the bar. I don't remember feeling neglected.

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Archonic

This isn't MY personal beliefs, I'm echoing the narrative of the white conservative right. It's not that uncommon, read the comment above this one. If I had kids, I'd personally never leave them in the car. The analogy is specifically to show political affiliation doesn't mean squat, and the purpose of this topic is to be racist.

AKA it wasn't an issue until Muslims did it.

2 months ago, a white man left his 22 month old in his car, until IT DIED, in a walmart parking lot, while he went to work.
abcnews.go.com...

And the award for selective outrage goes too: *Drumroll* Muslims!!!! If you disagree, go back through the thread and count how many morons attributed this to 'culture'. It's stupid enough the parents think that's a legitimate excuse. Way to embrace the madness.
edit on 17-2-2017 by ROBOTNINJADRAGON because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 03:57 PM
link   

This is not about culture, this is about stupidity and ineptitude coming from the police authorities, this a criminal act and the last time I check is a crime to leave a child in a car without adult supervision in the US.

What is next, to be allow to kill others because is cultural correct.

What a joke.

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043

This is not about culture, this is about stupidity and ineptitude coming from the police authorities, this a criminal act and the last time I check is a crime to leave a child in a car without adult supervision in the US.

What is next, to be allow to kill others because is cultural correct.

What a joke.

Define American Culture.

Show me something Muslims do that isn't done in America, by anyone.

Because this isn't it. Conservative whites are probably MOST guilty at leaving their children in the car. Be rational. Think about it. The largest reason it's dumb to call this 'their bad culture'? It means our culture would be bad too, because dumbass white people DO THIS TOO.

Unless everyone is agreeing all culture is trash, then I agree with that.

The only exception to these idiot idealism that I'd agree with is "dumbass white American" is slowly becoming "dumbass american", look a dumbass muslim as proof.
edit on 17-2-2017 by ROBOTNINJADRAGON because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 04:08 PM
link   
a reply to: ROBOTNINJADRAGON

Where in my post did I say Muslim, I talk about what the laws in our nation say.

Leaving a child in a car without adult supervision is in our nation a crime, regardless of race or religion or whatever people wants to hide behind it.

To say that is a cultural issue, I disagree, we do not go by cultural issues in our nation, we are a nation of laws and the law is the one that is been ignored base on some cultural BS.

Child Abuse Protection Laws

Child abuse laws exist on the federal, state and local levels. Legislation serves to keep children free from exploitation, harm, and danger. The Child Abuse Prevention and Treatment Act (CAPTA), passed by the federal government in 1974 and reauthorized in 2010 is the largest body of legislation with regard to the fair, ethical and legal treatment of children and is intended to keep them free from all forms of abuse including physical, sexual, emotional and psychological.

Federal laws provide standards and guidelines; however, most child abuse issues are governed by state laws and regulations. All states have enacted laws for the protection of children from abuse and neglect. Among the issues addressed in state law are mandatory reporting, responding to child abuse and neglect, and statutes of limitations for criminal and civil prosecution.

www.d2l.org...

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join