It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smile!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 06:17 AM
link   
I never thought I will post anything in the rant forum, it's not easy to make me rant about anything. However I have to get this off of my chest.
One cold, dark, wet, miserable winter morning at around 06.00 I was walking to my work place, to a job that I truly hated, but i was not in a position to change just yet. As I am walking in a dark mood, minding my own business, feeling sorry for myself, a stranger passing by barked one word at me: SMILE
Not in a positive way, surrendered by other kind words like "smile because it might be bad now but life is still amazing" , no just simply barked at me as an order not even slowing down.
I will be honest, it shocked me first, made me angry as I thought about it more and more. I did not reply to her partly because I had no idea what to say at that moment and partly because I am not a confrontational person anyway. As the minutes passed by of course some questions come to mind I would gladly ask her but it was too late. I would have asked her why does she thinks she can do this to anyone? How does she know what is going on with that person she is shouting silly empty words to? I admit I don't smile 24/7 as I am not insane. I do have a good life, but like everyone else sometimes I have problems that makes me a bit serious. And lastly I would have asked her, you know it's 6 in the morning right???
I can imagine she meant well, or maybe she was just a bit crazy, either way I still don't understand why some people do things like that. BTW this is not an isolated incident, I heard similar stories from others. First time it happened to me though.
Small rant but a rant nonetheless, thanks for reading!

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 06:28 AM
link   
a reply to: szino9

100 bucks she's been telling herself that because she's the one with the problem.

You just happen to be the one she used to make herself feel better.

Pity her and move on.

edit on 9-2-2017 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 06:30 AM
link   

FFS

you can walk - millions cannot

you have a job - millions do not

you are " suffering " " first world problems "

man up

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 06:31 AM
link   

I know what your saying but I wouldn't let it bother you to much. Chalk it up to your having one of those days and someone said something that just irked you for whatever reason. I find most people who do this honestly mean well. I am guilty of doing this myself and have had situations where it was not received well.

Hope your day gets better!

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 06:33 AM
link   

I'll join you in your rant...for a bit.
I have a friend who is constantly nagging me in every photo to smile. Well, I have my reasons for not, least of which is past injuries that become even more glaringly obvious (in photos where one can't change their angle) when I smile, just from the way it changes the structure.
Am I overly insecure about that? Of course I am but, it's mine.

I smile at folks all of the time and try not to take it personally if it is not returned, for some of the reasons that you mentioned above. I don't know what they are going through and perhaps the smile was enough, even if it wasn't reciprocated, to let them know that I noticed them and they matter.

Folks are too 'judgy' (not the right word but, it's early) anyway, anymore, IMO. Always telling others how they should be feeling or what they should be doing or how they are acting or feeling is inappropriate.

I do it too sometimes, I am sure. You should be happy or you should be grateful or whatever...
Anyway, hope your day is good. (Is that allowed?)
My 'anti' smile

Just kidding, of course!

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Insanity is the only logical response to a world gone mad.

Obviously, the cretin who uttered toward you so unkindly and rudely, does not grasp this simple concept.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Wah wah wah.

At least she didn't throw poop at you, or tried to shiv you.

People are weird and do weird crap. Welcome to planet Earth.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 06:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

Wah wah wah.

At least she didn't throw poop at you, or tried to shiv you.

People are weird and do weird crap. Welcome to planet Earth.

I wish you were with me at that moment, making me laugh about it with your comment as you just did now. Thank you!

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Were you scowling?

When I walk to/from work, I look to the eyes of everyone I pass. Some meet my gaze and I smile and nod, or smile and say good morning or hello. Others avoid my gaze. Right before accessing the entry door to work, I scoot down an alley. Over the course of many months I'd pass the same woman 2-3 times each week and extend the same greeting. One day, as I passed and nodded and smiled, she stopped and said, "Excuse me. I just want to mention how I look forward to your smile and good morning each day. I just thought I should thank you."

Smile. A free and quick remedy that might turn a sour mood to one that's a bit brighter... even your own mood.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 07:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: szino9
I admit I don't smile 24/7 as I am not insane.

Well, that makes one of us.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Top tip of the day :

Sleep with a coat hanger in your mouth

You will wake up with a smile on your face every day....

Erm, actually, might not be a good idea unless you take the coat off the hanger first that is...

Warmest

Lags

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Lagomorphe

Thanks Lags! umm not sure about your tip though, sounds kinda painful

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 07:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: szino9

Thanks Lags! umm not sure about your tip though, sounds kinda painful

Your welcome

Warmest

Lags

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 08:58 AM
link   
People who demand others to smile are part of the problem why people don't smile as much. Quite honestly I am more distrustful of people who smile too much and seem to not let the many sad issues going on effect them in any way. The self absorbed happiness is a choice crap.

There is plenty to be upset about on this planet OP .. she had no right to demand a smile from you. She was being a self righteous biatch 🙄

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it 😜

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 09:03 AM
link   
That is one of my peeves...... I'll smile when I damn well have something worth smiling about, and you'll know because ILL BE SMILING OF MY OWN ACCORD.

I'm not here to brighten the aesthetic of your day.

Instead of telling me to smile, do something worth making me smile.

/rant contribution

-Alee

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 09:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

FFS

you can walk - millions cannot

you have a job - millions do not

you are " suffering " " first world problems "

man up

Such a cliche!! of course I appreciate the above mentioned yet was not the first thought came to mind in the situation.
First world problem? I live in the "first world"

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 09:11 AM
link   
a reply to: NerdGoddess

Thank you for your contribution

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Once again. . . I woke up this morning!

My day has already started off great!

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
Once again. . . I woke up this morning!

My day has already started off great!

You slept with a coat hanger in your mouth?

Warmest

Lags

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Priorities change as one gets older.

I'm just giddy that . . . once again, I woke up.

YAY!

Cheated Death once again! Haha!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join