It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radiation at Fukushima nuclear plant at unimaginable levels

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 02:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Excellent! A few breadcrumbs next to big holes are only helpful to conclude that a meltdown took place. But it's no evidence with regards to the containment-breach. We're still missing a lot of material (the fuel rods) and are probably just looking at the remaining parts of the breached pressure vessel. Are we not?
Parts of that would have been cooler that the melting fuel-rods, which explains why they didn't burn through the steel grid as well. Does that explain why I wouldn't call a few chunks of 'black goo' evidence?

YMMV, thanks for the help to clarify that though. Didn't mean to change a thing, we're just talking. What's your opinion on this, why do you think it's evidence?

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

The bottom of what? The most outer containment? The reactor compartment? Or the reactor vessel? If the containment disgn had cracks in the concrete before the accident, there was never containment to begin with.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Groot
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

Guess the original thread is gone.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

your link goes to part one......they have a link there for part 2

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: PublicOpinion
a reply to: Phage

Excellent! A few breadcrumbs next to big holes are only helpful to conclude that a meltdown took place. But it's no evidence with regards to the containment-breach. We're still missing a lot of material (the fuel rods) and are probably just looking at the remaining parts of the breached pressure vessel. Are we not?
Parts of that would have been cooler that the melting fuel-rods, which explains why they didn't burn through the steel grid as well. Does that explain why I wouldn't call a few chunks of 'black goo' evidence?

YMMV, thanks for the help to clarify that though. Didn't mean to change a thing, we're just talking. What's your opinion on this, why do you think it's evidence?

Part of the use of cladding around the fuel is to stop water erosion. A deranged fuel rod does not need to melt to spread contamination. Isotopes that are gas at room temp can build up in a rod and blow out the cladding. Then the cooling water will erode the fuel and spent fuel away. Wherever the water goes, so will the erroded fuel rod.
edit on 9-2-2017 by neutronflux because: Fixed wherever

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   
There are also contaminates in cooling water that the radiation from the fuel core will activate. Contaminates from corrosion and wearing of metal becomes radioactive contamination.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Relax!
You all just don't understand yet. What we need is more radiation. Bigger tsunami, bigger leakage. Well, not us but the planet does.
Once the ocean is toxic enough to feed on it, it will flourish with life again. Get used to soy and shut up!
You all gonna die in a few years anyway so the fear is irrelevant, isn't it?

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 02:53 PM
link   

(from nextbigfuture article cited below)

On Thursday, February 2, 2017, Tepco posted images recorded inside the thick steel-reinforced concrete pedestal that supports the reactor pressure vessel (RPV) of Fukushima Daiichi unit #2. A company spokesperson explained what the images visually indicated, and mentioned that radiation had caused “flickers” in the pictures which were used to estimate the possible radiation levels inside the pedestal. No pictures or video had ever been taken inside an F. Daiichi RPV pedestal before. The spokesperson said an estimated radiation level of 530 Sieverts per hour was located immediately inside the pipe used to insert the video recording device. Two deeper locations were estimated at 20 and 50 Sv/hr, respectively. Only the 530 Sv/hr report resonated with the Press.

The 530 Sv/hr announcement sparked a news media feeding frenzy with the Japanese Press, some international Press outlets, and the antinuclear internet demographic. The Asahi Shimbun exemplified the typical Japanese Press article by showing images provided by Tepco and mentioning the three radiation estimates inside the pedestal. But one Japanese outlet, the Japan Times, said the “blazing” radiation spurring outlets around the world to report that radiation levels at F. Daiichi were climbing… soaring to new heights. Yet, no such thing was happening.

Nextbigfuture.com, Feb. 8, 2017 – Fukushima had high radiation readings because readings are now being made very close to the damaged fuel - Overall Radiation levels have been decreasing and damaged fuel rods are highly radioactive.

So back to the response I knew Mr. Phage would have made earlier in thread… “both” is the answer. “530 Sv/hr.” was estimated by a spokesman upon first entering the reactor pressure vessel (the “CV” is the “containment vessel” in the photo) but in reality is a mere 20-50 Sv/hr (lol, that’s all?). The larger number is what happens when MSM reports things and tries to make the “spectacular” *jazz hands* headlines.

It is still a big mess to clean up.

The article continues on saying they are taking muon tomography (kind of like a super high tech x-ray) of the entire building to see what is actually going on. This included sending in the video camera causing the world ending headlines.

So the radiation would be dangerous [if] (my correction) you climbed into the damaged Fukushima reactor and got deep into the containment vessels by following the robots and got very close to the damaged fuel rods.

I think I will pass on doing that. Makes you wonder just what they are going to end up doing. Sign me with the sentiments by boogie and crappiekat that the entire world should be working together to help clean this up.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: neutronflux

The bottom of what? The most outer containment? The reactor compartment? Or the reactor vessel? If the containment disgn had cracks in the concrete before the accident, there was never containment to begin with.

The pressure vessel (reactor) due to the control rods positioned on the bottom. In the video...

The explosion would have damaged the containment around the reactor.
edit on 2/9/2017 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 03:03 PM
link   

I still stand by contamination is reaching the sea, so there is no containment.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: research100

SO just answered the missing thread question here:

originally posted by: SkepticOverlord
Thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Sincere apologies. Real life often gets in the way of seeing urgent issues such as this. It's always best to send a private message, rather than presume complete SkepticOverlord situational awareness.

The enormity of the thread was causing performance issues at the time, that's the reason for the solution that was in place. It's now been removed.

Again, sorry I didn't see this sooner.

It is now once more available for those interested.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: neutronflux

I still stand by contamination is reaching the sea, so there is no containment.

I don't disagree. I thought at least one reactor was breached.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyInTheOintment

Just to add that I randomly came across this article today, after making the post to which I am replying.

Could we have LIMITLESS energy in 13 years? Doughnut-shaped device to 'put fusion power into the grid' by 2030

The idea that we can create & control plasma heated to 15,000,000 degrees Celcius, suggests to me that at some point, we will use a very similar technology to heat our way down through the entirety of the Earth's crust, if nuclear disaster necessitated radical action to save us from certain death & destruction.

# just got real..! I am optimistic that clevererer people than myself will take these wild speculative ideas & develop them into tools that can literally solve one of the many problems which could eventually annihilate the human race if left unchecked. If we can melt through the crust at the temperatures described, controlling the plasma using magnetic fields, there's every chance we could channel radioactive meltdown fuel remnants into the mantle as I originally speculated.

Unless Hitler really is down there in Hollow Earth riding on the back of a Tyrannosaurus Rex, in which case # just got even more real.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Difficult to believe that with our level of technological advancement this crisis hasn't been completely contained by now. Unbelievable actually.

Wow.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: ausername

Radiation is natural. Just the concentration is man made.

You could say the same for wind, flooding, tornadoes, lightning, hurricanes, solar storms, meteorites.

One star explosion and a resulting gamma burst could make this sector of space void of life.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyInTheOintment

The problem is how would you sustain the reaction as it is consumed and diluted with liquid soil, rock, and metal. Then I think the whole thing would be caught up in the liquid material flowing around the earths core. If it wasn't spit out in a volcanic fit.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: loam

There's a reason Russia told them to concrete the whole thing immediately

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Let's get some numbers. Ocean disposal of radioactive waste:

Global fallout of nuclear weapon tests — 2,566,087x10^15Bq
1986 Chernobyl disaster total release — 12,060x10^15Bq
2011 Fukushima Daiichi nuclear disaster, estimated total aerial release — 11,346x10^15Bq
Fukishima Daiichi nuclear plant cooling water dumped (leaked) to the sea — TEPCO estimate 4.7x10^15Bq,
Japanese Nuclear Safety Commission estimate 15x10^15Bq
French Nuclear Safety Committee estimate 27x10^15Bq
Naturally occurring Potassium 40 in all oceans — 14,000,000x10^15Bq.
One container (net 400kg) of vitrified high-level radioactive waste has an average radioactivity of 4x10^15Bq (Max 45x10^15Bq
Together, they (INTENTIONALLY)* dumped a total of 85,100 TBq (85.1x10^15Bq) of radioactive waste at over 100 ocean sites, as measured in initial radioactivity at the time of dump.

*I wrote intentionally so that you don't mix the "disposal" with other leaks.
As you can see, if you get a cancer it's still rather because of nuclear weapon tests. Not because of Japan or Tobacco. Hard core fishing won't stop. The situation is much better than during the cold war testing with its washouts and rainouts.
source
edit on 9/2/2017 by PapagiorgioCZ because: annotation

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: LogicalGraphitti
So this is much worse than we knew. What does it mean for the west coast of North America? This isn't just a problem for Asia. This is serious folks!

Meanwhile, people are protesting because they got their feelings hurt over the election. Goes to show how misguided we can be in this country. Maybe if we blame Fukushima on Trump, it will get completely undivided attention.

And what does a disaster in Japan have to do with people choosing to protest our recent election? Not a damn thing. People can choose to protest something they feel is horrible even though other horrible things currently exist on this planet.

Are we helping Japan with cleanup efforts? Probably. With our new "America first" "policy", will we continue helping them? That's the real question.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Comparisons of the plutonium core used in the Hiroshima bomb and Fukushima fuel rod packs were made. The distinction that was not made is that fuel rods are roughly 98% non-fissionable mass. Its highly radioactive, but spontaneous uncontrolled fission (meltdown) can not occur in the absence of a moderator after the fissionable mass is consumed. In the current meltdown it is impossible to predict how long it will take to consume the remaining fissionable mass. Only a range of least to most time can be offered. At either end of the spectrum 530 sieverts, expected to increase further, is lethal in less than a minute.

The contamination of the water flow can not be stopped. The flow of contaminated water into the ocean can not be stopped. The worst case scenario is for the rate of exposure to equal or pass the dissipation capacity of the water flow. Imagine radiation pouring in to a river faster than the river can dissipate it. Then imagine the radioactive river flowing in to the ocean faster than the ocean can dissipate it. As the surrounding water becomes saturated and the river continues to flow the area of short duration lethal exposure continues to increase unabated.

Detectable radiation has already reached US shores. How bad is it? Draw a line from our west coast to Fukushima. Put the current measurable radiation on our end and 530 sieverts on the Fukushima end. Now use the length of the line as a scale for the radiation. (not taking tide or current in to consideration but for information purposes only)

Then consider these facts:

Polar bears, seals and walrus on the west coast are suffering from fur loss and open sores reminiscent of radiation poisoning.
link
Mass sea lion deaths along the California coast line. As much as 45% of the new pups born in June have died.
link
Something is making fish on the west coast of Canada bleed from their gills, bellies, and eyes.
Along the pacific coast of Alaska and Canada the sockeye salmon population is at an historic low.
A radioactive field of debris the size of California is starting to hit the west coast.
link
The level of radioactivity of the US west coast could double in as little as 5 to 6 years.
link
One test showed 15 out of 15 bluefin tuna were contaminated with radiation.
link
An estimated 100 X the amount of radiation leaked in Chernobyl has been leaked at Fukushima.
link

This list goes on and on and it doesn't get any better.

Sweet dreams.

posted on Feb, 9 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: daerath

Depends. If you can see the MSM pushing redundant topics instead, you're probably equally able to see the social engineering aspect in the (calculated) reactions to said topics on the streets.

As it happens, buried within Fukushima’s complexities the pubic encounters an enigma, as expressed by Dr. Baverstock, “I’m really appalled at the way the international system has failed… Quite frankly, we don’t get anything through the media… There is no general understanding of the situation here in Europe, because the media are not putting this view forward. In fact, I think many people would be very surprised that it was still a matter for discussion. They would be even more surprised to learn that it’s still an ongoing accident, and that it hasn’t terminated yet… and they would be more surprised to learn that nobody knows how to stop it.”

Fukushima – a Hushed Up Catastrophe

Depopulation agenda in full swing right in front of our eyes, trash talk works like a charme and has the people occupied with less radioactive trash instead. Wait... thats just the paranoid ATSlien inside of my head again, right?

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join