It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radiation at Fukushima nuclear plant at unimaginable levels

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Riffrafter

A mistake... Right. It was misinformation that you and many others have swallowed hook, line, and sinker.

Contamination levels on the west coast are in the un to barely detectable range. And are the result of the original, very high levels released immediately after the disaster. In fact, locally produced contamination is a far greater concern.
ourradioactiveocean.org...
kelpwatch.berkeley.edu...

While contamination continues at the site, and is of concern, it is at very low levels in the immediate vicinity of the plant. There is a lot of water out there.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 2/10/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

A mistake... Right. It was misinformation that you and many others have swallowed hook, line, and sinker.

No I haven't.

You need to take a breath dude.

This isn't my OP, I was just responding to the articles and video shared by the OP and others while I had a few minutes free at work. I was also interested in the current status of the radiation spread and did a quick google search and that popped up right on top. Article and map looked interesting so I posted it. Also, ZeroHedge isn't known as a bad source as far as I know.

Obviously you don't think it's a problem. I do.

Time will tell.

While contamination continues at the site, and is of concern, it is at very low levels in the immediate vicinity of the plant. There is a lot of water out there.

That simply doesn't jive with the new info posted by the OP. Unless his sources are incorrect, it's much worse than people expected and worse than it was at the beginning. 530 Sieverts per hour is *bad*. It's so bad even robotic vehicles can't get near it, and according to the OP's sources it's getting worse over time - not better.

When I have more time in a few hours I'll do some more intensive research and find/post a map that accurately shows the current status of the spread of nuclear material in the Pacific (if one exists) as this issue is concerning to me.

I for one am very glad this thread was posted. Opened my eyes up big time about this disaster.

edit on 2/10/2017 by Riffrafter because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I have noticed one important thing about the apologists for this crime. There is only one circumstance where a moral person can see this is okay: if he/she has become one of the science priest class.

When the notion of planetary morality was taken away from the church, which was it's own kind of mess, it was handed to the science class with a proviso - humans were to be seen as nothing more then data points for to truly execute real science the presence of a human and his/her sand shifting morality was the only problem.

Any average human with a simple moral compass can see that countless tons of radioactive waste all over the planet, with no remediation in sight is a bizarre price to pay for hot water. Hot water. Any person with a true moral compass would say a steady stream of poison flowing into the ocean without end is bad by any standard of measurement. In fact, only the priest class can argue any other position and not look comical - "aunt mary says radiation is nothing, hell it'll just evaporate..." lol.

A science priest says, "eh, the data says..." and moves on. The science class did a great job in the last 100 years of defining human injury as exclusively cancer. If it doesn't cause cancer, its fine, and we can never really prove a cancer cause and effect because, the data. Since there is zero way to correlate human damage to the human consciousness expression on earth via this radiation mess, the science class sleeps well at night.

The science class has endless potential members who will build all manner of truly horrible things, outright poisons, addicting drugs, radiation creators, bombs, bombs and more ways of murdering their own family and they do it without morality included in the equation because the data points, humans are just numbers to be moved into columns. If one can get a high paying government job making weapons to kill their own family, and it furthers the data points, damn that's gold!

I once asked an apologist what the effect of this radioactive mess was on the ability of a human to express their consciousness (I know what it is btw). The response was dead air, because the data does not support this "theory" and therefor cannot be placed into the equation. Forget about every other living thing on earth and it's experience with these 200 reactor ophans. Now, here is why the science insanity cannot be relied upon, and in many ways it is subhuman in nature.

One can easily, in a matter of minutes, see exactly what the effect of certain forms of radiation exposure has on the the true human expression, but said priest class cannot correlate even the most basic version of what I am saying. Go to any cancer/chemo/radiation ward and look at the state of the human expression of those being bombarded by this ineffective "treatment." If an alien came to earth and saw that they'd be horrified that one human would do this to another - in the name of science. If, that happened to even one human as a result of Japan needing to build nuclear weapons and using "steam generation" as the excuse then the science class should be taken out and shot - they care so little for humans - data points, that we should care so little for their data point interpretation.

They have perfected the "I beat you because I love you" system of justification. They can actually justify, to themselves exclusively, that endless radiation pouring in the beauty of the pacific ocean is okay. Really? Okay because the data interpretations suggest...

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Riffrafter

Obviously you don't think it's a problem.
On the contrary. It is a serious problem for the region. I have pointed that out more than once in this thread and others. But shouting about how terrible it's going to get, that the entire Pacific is highly contaminated, is nothing but alarmist bullcrap. Ignorance of the worse sort. Granted, that's not uncommon on ATS, but it does no one any good.

That simply doesn't jive with the new info posted by the OP. Unless his sources are incorrect, it's much worse than people expected and worse than it was at the beginning.
What makes you think more contamination is being released than was released when the disaster first occurred?

530 Sieverts per hour is *bad*.
Yes. Very bad. Do you know what it actually means? What makes you think it is higher than it was immediately after the disaster occurred? This is the first time any reading has been made in this area of the plant. It was expected that radiation levels would be very (extremely) high there.

It must be stressed that radiation in this area has not been measured before, and it was expected to be extremely high. While 530 Sv/hr is the highest measured so far at Fukushima Daiichi, it does not mean that levels there are rising, but that a previously unmeasurable high-radiation area has finally been measured. Similar remote investigations are being planned for Daiichi Units 1 and 3. We should not be surprised if even higher radiation levels are found there, but only actual measurements will tell.
blog.safecast.org...

When I have more time in a few hours I'll do some more intensive research and find/post a map that accurately shows the current status of the spread of nuclear material in the Pacific (if one exists) as this issue is concerning to me.
Hopefully from a better source than a blog posted on Zerohedge. I posted links to two independent organizations which have been testing the waters of the west coast and elsewhere, including near the Fukushima plant.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Maybe, don't know the source and ZH is often full of it. But the original study has similar pics to offer. It's not misinfo only then, if you will.

Model simulations on the long-term dispersal of 137Cs released into the Pacific Ocean off Fukushima

We'll have equally radioactive waters in every ocean, just give it a few more years to disperse...

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: PublicOpinion

But the original study has similar pics to offer.

Actually, not very similar. Doesn't show the southern hemisphere, among other dramatic differences.

We'll have equally radioactive waters in every ocean, just give it a few more years to disperse...

Yes, equal to what it was before the disaster, negligible.
Even so, it's been 6 years and levels on the west coast never approached what that simulation predicted.

The magnitude of additional peak radioactivity should drop to values comparable to the pre-Fukushima levels after 6–9 years (i.e. total peak concentrations would then have declined below twice pre-Fukushima levels). (iv) By then the tracer cloud will span almost the entire North Pacific, with peak concentrations off the North American coast an order-of-magnitude higher than in the western Pacific.

oceanrep.geomar.de...

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Riffrafter
a reply to: loam

Check this out:

ZeroHedge Article - It's going to get worse

It's going to get better.

www.livescience.com...

Two radioactive cesium isotopes, cesium-134 and cesium-137, have been detected offshore of Vancouver, British Columbia, researchers said at a news conference. The detected concentrations are much lower than the Canadian safety limit for cesium levels in drinking water, said John Smith, a research scientist at Canada's Bedford Institute of Oceanography in Dartmouth, Nova Sc

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 03:37 PM
link   
A June 2012 Stanford University study estimated, using a linear no-threshold model, that the radioactivity release from the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant could cause 130 deaths from cancer globally (the lower bound for the estimate being 15 and the upper bound 1100) and 199 cancer cases in total (the lower bound being 24 and the upper bound 1800), most of which are estimated to occur in Japan.

pubs.rsc.org...

edit on 10-2-2017 by Miracula2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 04:02 PM
link   

The magnitude of additional peak radioactivity should drop to values comparable to the pre-Fukushima levels after 6–9 years (i.e. total peak concentrations would then have declined below twice pre-Fukushima levels). (iv) By then the tracer cloud will span almost the entire North Pacific, with peak concentrations off the North American coast an order-of-magnitude higher than in the western Pacific.

Model simulations on the long-term dispersal of 137Cs released into the Pacific Ocean off Fukushima

And then we have this:

Five years on, a review by the Scientific Committee on Oceanic Research, which brings together ocean experts from across the world, said radioactive material had been carried as far as the United States.

But after analysing data from 20 studies of radioactivity associated with the plant, it found radiation levels in the Pacific were rapidly returning to normal after being tens of millions of times higher than usual following the disaster.

“As an example, in 2011 about half of fish samples in coastal waters off Fukushima contained unsafe levels of radioactive material,” said Pere Masque, who co-authored the review published by the Annual Review of Marine Science.

“However, by 2015 that number had dropped to less than one per cent above the limit.” But the study also found that the seafloor and harbour near the Fukushima plant were still highly contaminated.

Pacific Ocean radiation nears pre-Fukushima level

So yeah, the simulation wasn't that bad after all. And still, a lot of water. I'd doubt we could see a leak with high radiation on the charts, as it would only show up as a highly contaminated seafloor with it's usual currents.
Lets wait a few more decades and we'll know more...

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 04:08 PM
link   

So yeah, the simulation wasn't that bad after all.
Actually, it was quite bad.

with peak concentrations off the North American coast an order-of-magnitude higher than in the western Pacific.
The concentrations off the west coast never approached the predicted values. It predicts 1.2 Bq/m−3 for Hawaii in 2015. Is that what was found? The west coast should be showing 1.6, is it? But even if the simulation had proven to be accurate, those levels are far below dangerous levels..

as it would only show up as a highly contaminated seafloor with it's usual currents.
As I said, the seafloor near the disaster area will be unsafe for some time.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Never? Well, maybe the peaks didn't reach the predicted levels, who knows? I'm not so sure with a few privately funded measurements going on, there might have been said peaks to see if we'd have a really sophisticated system in place.

It's absence is quite disturbing and worth to be mentioned. Only more contaminated water on the conspirational mills, if you will.

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Yeah, because after crossing the Pacific ocean the contamination might be concentrated in some small pockets that just happened to be where the testing wasn't.

Makes sense. But that's not what the simulation shows, is it?

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 05:45 PM
link   

The other problem is tropical cyclones churning the sea floor up and redistributing any contaminates that settled out.

That was proven when the worlds largest storm hit. They had not considered it before.

Would provide a link but haven't got the mobile thang down yet

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

Or rainfall. Is this what you mean?

The highest level of cesium Buesseler's team found in a sample taken off Japan in October 2015 measured 200 Becquerels per cubic meter (about 264 gallons) of seawater. (A Becquerel equals one decay event per second.) The samples were collected following a typhoon in September that delivered unusually heavy rains, which the researchers suspect may have caused elevated cesium levels in the ocean.

From a link I posted ealier:
phys.org...

The water also overwhelmed the drainage pumps at the Fukushima nuclear plant, said a spokesman for Tokyo Electric Power Co., the facility’s operator. Hundreds of tons of contaminated water flowed into the ocean, he added.

www.japantimes.co.jp...

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: crappiekat

Does something like this eventually burn itself out?

And in the mean time, Should we be concerned about this seriously effecting the whole world and how long before that happens?

They have been down playing this for so long. I was talking with someone today (an Older Person) and there comment was "Oh we shouldn't worry about that" (I'm thinking "Yea, you don't cuz you'll be dead in two years")

The SCRAM sequence at Fukushima was successful in shutting down the reactors but the residual heat that could not be removed with backup cooling systems caused some steam explosions according to the media. Should be at cold shutdown by now with the control rods in place?

Scram sequence Fukushima

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Yeah, sounds right! And I do spend a lot of time there. Probably where I read that.

Tanks! (ETA: :turret:, lol. At least it was spelled right). Sorry for not doing due diligence and reading your link.

The cesium makes its way through the food chain. I have iodine sitting on the shelf right now. In case I need to flush my thyroid. I do love them bottom feeding king salmon!!

Just as a precaution... any others may want to "prep" as well (if you are concerned. Warning: more dietary supplements are not always better for you! Remember the guy who turned himself blue with colloidal silver!!)

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

The cesium makes its way through the food chain. I have iodine sitting on the shelf right now. In case I need to flush my thyroid.

Do not consume iodine in large amounts. It becomes toxic.

And where did you get that advice?

Potassium iodide can provide important protection for one organ from radiation due to one radionuclide. It can only provide protection for the thyroid gland from an intake of radioiodine. It doesn't have any value in protecting other organs of the body or in providing protection from radiation from other radioactive nuclides. For example, potassium iodide has no protective value from a "dirty bomb" or a dispersion of spent nuclear fuel. Here's why.

hps.org...

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 07:43 PM
link   
With over 500 tons of contaminated water finding it's way to the Pacific ocean daily its a cumulative effect...

This will only multiply the potential consequences it presents if this problem cannot be contained...

posted on Feb, 10 2017 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Brainiac

Not just befalling their country but the whole world. Ironically the west coast was first to be hit by the initial plume because of the North Pacific Jet Stream. Karma for Hiroshima and Nagasaki perhaps?

posted on Feb, 11 2017 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Apparently, according to this source, the actual reading was 650 sieverts. FOX seems to have quoted an earlier estimate.

Kyodo news reports:

Robot probe of Fukushima reactor halted due to glitch

An operation to prepare to examine the inside of the No. 2 reactor at the disaster-struck Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant was halted Thursday due to a technical glitch, the plant operator said.

Tokyo Electric Power Company Holdings Inc. said it sent a robot with a high-pressure water nozzle into a containment structure housing the pressure vessel, but suspended the work after video images from a camera on the robot became dark.

TEPCO said high radiation levels may have caused the camera glitch. The camera was designed to withstand cumulative radiation exposure up to 1,000 sieverts. Previously the company said up to 530 sieverts per hour of radiation was detected within the reactor containment structure in late January. The radiation reading during the robot operation Thursday was 650 sieverts, TEPCO said.

edit on 11-2-2017 by loam because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join