It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Parliament Speaker Vetoes Trump Visit

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Protests in Britain against Trump and an online petition (and, let's face it, news reports of Trump's first two weeks) have soured Britain's Parliament against him. He's not "not welcome" to visit them or to have a speech in Parliament.

President Donald Trump will not be welcome to speak to the U.K. Parliament during his upcoming state visit, Speaker of the House of Commons John Bercow said Monday. "As far as [parliament] is concerned, I feel very strongly that our opposition to racism and to sexism and our support for equality before the law and an independent judiciary are hugely important considerations," Bercow said before fellow lawmakers on Monday. He added that, "before the imposition of the migrant ban, I would myself have been strongly opposed to an address by President Trump in Westminster Hall. After the imposition of the migrant ban by President Trump, I am even more strongly opposed to an address by President Trump in Westminster Hall."

Source: BBC News

The motion that he not be granted the privilege of a State Visit seems to be growing. At this point, he may not even be invited to meet with the Queen.

While "tough guy" negotiations may work in the real world if you're a businessman and very wealthy, they don't work in most arenas. It makes you look like a bully, and most people don't want to deal with a bully.

Right now, Trump's image globally is similar to North Korea's Kim Jong Il or the Philippines' Marcos. He might be welcomed on a state visit to Russia, but his actions and speech are hindering his ability to negotiate with a number of our allies... who are turning into former allies.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 03:17 PM
link   
The State visit stands.

He just won't be addressing Parliament.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

Trumps State Visit hasn't been vetoed , he will not be asked to speak in Parliament.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 03:19 PM
link   
The one thing I don't understand, no matter how you feel about Trump?

People in power are throwing hissy fits, not much different than what they say he does.
What happened to leading by example?

For me, it is showing me that NO country has any adults in charge.

Why not try to talk to him? Hell at this point, why not threaten him? But be a damn adult about it, and do it face to face.

No, "I'm going to ban him, so I don't have to look or deal with him."

Again, NO ADULTS.
edit on 6-2-2017 by chiefsmom because: spelling as usual

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Hope Trump reminds parliament not to call for any favors!

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Only 3 US presidents have spoken to parliament. Not a big deal really.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Looks like Speaker of the House of Commons John Bercow has either fallen for the MSM trash, or he's part of its making.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Trumps State Visit hasn't been vetoed , he will not be asked to speak in Parliament.

Which makes perfect sense. After all, so far Trump as acted as an authoritarian, doing everything by Executive Order, and hasn't seen the wisdom of involving the US congress in any debate or discussion in the decisions he's making. Parliament is like the US Congress, where people meet and discuss and debate "before" rulings and decisions are finalized.

Since, Trump doesn't seem to respect the process of such discussion and debate, involving the other stakeholders, before going ahead with rulings himself, why would parliament want him to speak there?

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 03:31 PM
link   
The media has done this by turning some liberal thinking people into rioting protestors. Then they film it, ask the Government what they are going to do about it and spin it, so the liberal thinking people turn into rioting protestors, they film it, etc etc.......
edit on 6/2/17 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408
The State visit stands.

I understand that - but as I said, the MOVEMENT to deny a state visit is growing and this is another brick in the action.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Byrd

The State visit stands.

I understand that - but as I said, the MOVEMENT to deny a state visit is growing and this is another brick in the action.

Well good for them. It's their choice. I just hope they remember that choice when they need a favor, and the Trump admin throws them the middle finger.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad

The State visit stands.

Well good for them. It's their choice. I just hope they remember that choice when they need a favor, and the Trump admin throws them the middle finger.

1.8 million have signed a petition and thousands have protested, most likeliest to be those that feel more loyalty to the E.U than the U.K.

Then the Bilderbergs in Parliament start screaming Trump's not welcome and it becomes evident they are doing their utmost to sabotage Brexit negotiations.

If people can't see that, then they need to clean their rose tinted glasses.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Middleoftheroad

Trump doesn't care , all he wants is the pomp of a State visit and photo ops of himself playing golf with the Queen at Sandringham House.

Sources told the Guardian that Trump has expressed no interest in speaking at Westminster. However, it’s understood that he does want “high visibility visits with key members of the Royal family.”
www.rt.com...

edit on 6-2-2017 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Nothing really to see here just another thread wasting valuable ATS bandwidth if you ask me...

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 03:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: Middleoftheroad

Trump doesn't care , all he wants is the pomp of a State visit and photo ops of himself playing golf with the Queen at Sandringham House.

Pretty much, I don't think anyone cares other than the individuals at the U.K. Parliament.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 03:57 PM
link   
To be honest, I don't think President Trump cares, he is there to conduct business.

I also disagree with the NK leader comparison, the US still have their allies and we are weeks into a new administration, countries will have to act accordingly in that regard. Remember, this isn't an Obama dog and pony show, but all business.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123
To be honest, I don't think President Trump cares, he is there to conduct business.

a guy who cares about ratings on a tv show (the least odd thing he cares about )
he will address this via twitter at some point. yes, the crooked parliament liars will be tweeted about.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 04:52 PM
link   
If they believed in equality over law the why did we fight a war to free ourselves from them?
And now 200 plus years later we have become the country we fought so hard to get away from.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 04:59 PM
link   

So Obama, Clinton, and Reagan will remain the only 3 presidents of the USA to address parliament? Yes, that's correct, only 3/45ths of our country's presidents have addressed the UK parliament... making not doing so pretty much a non-issue.

posted on Feb, 6 2017 @ 05:11 PM
link   

The State visit stands.

Well, Trump is focused on America anyway.

If Brits don't want to keep us as friends and allies that is their choice and really doesn't affect what we need to do here at home like clean up and strengthen the vetting process of immigrants and refugees, fix infrastructure and bring manufacturing home.

We shouldn't be involved in British elections and they shouldn't involve themselves in ours. It seems fair, but if they don't like our duly elected leader then they can sod off.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join