It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Catholic Nun Perfectly Explains the Hypocrisy of the "Pro-Life" Argument

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+80 more 
posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 01:14 PM
link   
A nun. Somebody who would know first hand the plight of the poor, the struggles of single mothers, orphans;

"I do not believe that just because you're opposed to abortion that that makes you pro-life. In fact, I think in many cases, your morality is deeply lacking if all you want is a child born but not a child fed, not a child educated, not a child housed. And why would I think that you don't? Because you don't want any tax money to go there. That's not pro-life. That's pro-birth. We need a much broader conversation on what the morality of pro-life is."

And she's not just any nun. She's written over 50 books, holds a number of degrees.
www.popsugar.com...

There's nothing indicating she's pro-choice either, not that I can tell. She just has a very different perspective on what it is to be 'pro life'.

It is interesting, you know? It seems like people on here tend to spend 99% of the time arguing about the rights of fertilized eggs but babies, kids? The plight of the orphaned, single mothers and fathers in this very country? Next to nothing. How many threads have there been posted on here about struggling single parents? Neglected kids? I've never seen one. I've seen a tonne of anti-abortion threads. Why is that? Why is it that once a baby enters into this world, it's not something to be concerned with all of sudden?

Most States Have Cut School Funding, and Some Continue Cutting

Donald Trump's Tax Plan Would Hit Single Parents Hard

Illinois GOP Bill Proposes Cutting Financial Aid To Single Mothers

It goes on. This list goes on. But we're more concerned on here with forcing women into pregnancy. Nobody could be fussed with what life may follow. Pro-life is pro-life right? There is an apparent disconnect here.

+12 more 
posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Southern Guardian

Last time I looked Catholics thought birth control was a sin.
Wonder how she feels about that one.
And women are not forced into pregnancy. There is a cause and effect somewhere in there.

I'm not pro life either.

+16 more 
posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Pro choice can be simply that you accept the right of an individual to make their own decision/choice. It is NOT pro abortion.

I've talked to many who are pro life for themselves, but don't believe they have the right to force that on others.

I am very pro LIVING CHILDREN.

I agree with the nun.

+17 more 
posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Hard to disagree with her.

People talk about "murdering an unborn baby, it's a sin!," yet have no quarrel with their tax dollars being used to fund drone programs that murder innocent men, woman, and children in five+ sovereign nations.

The victim shaming that comes with those who have been raped and need an abortion is absolutely staggering.

Also, I really don't think men (and I'm a dude, too) should really have any say in the matter.

We don't carry around fetuses for nearly a year. We have no #ing idea what that is like. We have no #ing idea what it would be like to be raped and become pregnant.

But, in the land of authoritarian wannabes...

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

At what month (1-9) is an abortion cutoff acceptable to (any of) you?

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

3-4....
Personal opinion...

+17 more 
posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

You know what? I'd pose a similar question. At what stage do we grant something personhood? Is this the moment of conception? The moment that egg is fertlized? Once it's fertilized, that woman has no rights to her body? The state takes over right? She has no say. Should pregnant women be state property? Because this is essentially the pro-life argument. At the end of the day when you advocate for laws over a womans body, you're taking rights away from her in favour of fertilized egg. It's her body at the end of the day that you're dictating over. You are taking her rights away.

If I was a religious man, I'd question why God granted women the soul power to handle pregnancy. Why is that? The man just gives his seed and that's it. It's still her body in end.

As for WHEN abortions should be legal. It's HER body. She needs to question her own morality.

+26 more 
posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   

If you don't want an abortion, don't have one.

If you don't believe in abortion, don't have one.

Otherwise it's none of your business what one who chooses abortion does.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 01:46 PM
link   

The baby becomes a human when it emerges from the magical vagina.
Not sure how a c section plays into that scenario.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I disagree. You can prevent said pregnancy or choose adoption as an avenue. Murdering an unborn baby is still murder.

Edited to add I'm not religious at all.
edit on 4-2-2017 by Throes because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   

So at month 9 women can abort their babies in your view. Got it.

+5 more 
posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Southern Guardian
It's HER body. She needs to question her own morality.

Yes. And actually I do have a belief.

I believe everything is energy, that energy consciousness (soul) is eternal, but physical is a manifestation. That you enter physical realms like it's a virtual reality game. The reason behind a decision is more important then the decision itself.

Abortion can be one of the most unselfish decisions you ever make.

Any idiot can reproduce and plenty do without any thought or plan to the care and welfare of the result.

+5 more 
posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Not your business.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: RomeByFire
Hard to disagree with her.

People talk about "murdering an unborn baby, it's a sin!," yet have no quarrel with their tax dollars being used to fund drone programs that murder innocent men, woman, and children in five+ sovereign nations.

The victim shaming that comes with those who have been raped and need an abortion is absolutely staggering.

Also, I really don't think men (and I'm a dude, too) should really have any say in the matter.

We don't carry around fetuses for nearly a year. We have no #ing idea what that is like. We have no #ing idea what it would be like to be raped and become pregnant.

But, in the land of authoritarian wannabes...

Men have every right to say in the matter. It's the actions of both males and females together which make babies.

You can also be non intervenalist and anti abortion.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   

What I find funny is that for the most part from what I have seen, Religious people are pro life while the left are against it at pre birth.

Forward 18 years later and they switch position, the left are against the death penalty and the right is for it.

edit on 58228America/ChicagoSat, 04 Feb 2017 13:58:11 -0600000000p2842 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 01:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Not your business.

Nope, the choice isn't the living babies, either. Sad.
edit on 4-2-2017 by Throes because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   

To say its nobodies business implies there can be no defined cutoff period which says that people can abort their BABIES at 9 months (when normal people give birth). And such obtusity you wonder why people would be against it? You create an impossibly inevitable opposition scenario with such an entirely one-sided approach (as usual), and in this case you're advocating MURDERING the equivalent of a new born baby. Duh 9 months is 9 months! And those pre-mature babies, aw hell might as well run them through a garbage disposal?
edit on 4-2-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

+7 more 
posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 02:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Throes

originally posted by: Annee

Not your business.

Nope, the choice isn't the living babies, either. Sad.

Business of person responsible for a minimum of the next 18 years.

Not your business.

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   

To say its nobodies business implies there can be no defined cutoff period which says that people can abort their BABIES at 9 months (when normal people give birth). And such obtusity you wonder why people would be against it? You create an impossibly inevitable opposition scenario with such an entirely one-sided approach (as usual), and in this case you're advocating MURDERING the equivalent of a new born baby. Duh 9 months is 9 months! And those pre-mature babies, aw hell might as well run them through a garbage disposal?

Come on! As long as no one else is being infringed on its none of your business! (Or the living babies business, either..)

posted on Feb, 4 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   
That is a ridiculous argument. Our taxes do plenty to help children. Even if that wasn't true it is completely tangential to the issue of abortion.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join