It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Create A New Kind Of Matter: Time Crystals

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 10:59 PM
link   

The crystals' patterns repeat not in space, but in time.

By Sophie Weiner
Jan 28, 2017

Crystals are structures in which a pattern of atoms or molecules repeats in space. Now, two teams of researchers have figured out that crystals' repeating patterns can also exist through time. These "time crystals," detailed in a new paper in Physical Review Letter, are an entirely new kind of matter, one that can never reach equilibrium.

To create the time crystals, researchers at University of Maryland hooked together 10 ytterbium atoms and hit them with two lasers multiple times to keep them out of equilibrium. Though the atoms did settle into a pattern, they could not reach equilibrium, meaning that the crystals perpetually remain in motion, though they don't contain any energy. Almost all of physics is based in studying matter that is at equilibrium, so the ability to create these non-equilibrium crystals is a huge deal for the future of physics.

www.popularmechanics.com...

Crystals that repeat their patterns not only through space, but through time. As researcher Norman Yao explains it, these crystals are showing a new phase of matter, and one of the first examples of non-equilibrium matter. Physics is catching up to Quantum Physics.

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 11:01 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 11:16 PM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

That's Interesting.

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 11:21 PM
link   
This is interesting. It is a kind of perpetual motion at the molecular level. I wonder if there is any way to use this. Anything which generates motion generates energy, even though it is exotic matter and at very small scales. I love this kind of thing!

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 11:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I like that song too.

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Do the lasers have to keep firing to to keep them out of equilibrium or do the lasers just get the process started and then they stay out of equilibrium forever?

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 11:26 PM
link   

If these things are really matter and are in a perpetual motion but not creating energy .....could they be creating a form of energy we can not recognize or don't know that it exist ? Matter has mass and if its in motion it should have energy ..what am I missing here ? Is it mass-less matter ,a kind of dark matter ? I better stick with playing Rummy and Crib .

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Text ABSTRACT

Despite being forbidden in equilibrium, spontaneous breaking of time translation symmetry can occur in periodically driven, Floquet systems with discrete time-translation symmetry. The period of the resulting discrete time crystal is quantized to an integer multiple of the drive period, arising from a combination of collective synchronization and many body localization. Here, we consider a simple model for a one-dimensional discrete time crystal which explicitly reveals the rigidity of the emergent oscillations as the drive is varied. We numerically map out its phase diagram and compute the properties of the dynamical phase transition where the time crystal melts into a trivial Floquet insulator. Moreover, we demonstrate that the model can be realized with current experimental technologies and propose a blueprint based upon a one dimensional chain of trapped ions. Using experimental parameters (featuring long-range interactions), we identify the phase boundaries of the ion-time-crystal and propose a measurable signature of the symmetry breaking phase transition.

Of course!!!

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 11:29 PM
link   
a reply to: BiffWellington

Can you make a flux capacitor with them? Is that what it says?

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I thought this was posted already? mmkay.

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 11:40 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 11:42 PM
link   
This is no babystep in science. The possibilities!

posted on Jan, 30 2017 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Illumimasontruth
This is no babystep in science. The possibilities!

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I might mention here that the substance in question is not crystallized time. As cool as that might be.

eta: do Time Bandits drink Time Crystals? They're only a dream away!

edit on 31-1-2017 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 01:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Sounds like Turbo Encabulator specs to me.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 07:37 AM
link   
I can finally build that flux capacitor ive been dreaming about.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Tres cool!

But someone needs to edit wiki's entry.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I wish I was smart enough to understand the implications. Great article

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 10:44 AM
link   
If i told this concept to my crystalstone healing exwife she would smile and say: Finally science catch up with what i have tried to explain all the time.
But my son would say: If they mix this knowledge into a quantum computer with the new AI it will get a nonlocal consciousness and before we realize it we have lost control.

My own take on this is not ready yet because of headache,
maybe i should use one the crystals on the shelf and put it on my head.

posted on Jan, 31 2017 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: BiffWellington
Text ABSTRACT

Despite being forbidden in equilibrium, spontaneous breaking of time translation symmetry can occur in periodically driven, Floquet systems with discrete time-translation symmetry. The period of the resulting discrete time crystal is quantized to an integer multiple of the drive period, arising from a combination of collective synchronization and many body localization. Here, we consider a simple model for a one-dimensional discrete time crystal which explicitly reveals the rigidity of the emergent oscillations as the drive is varied. We numerically map out its phase diagram and compute the properties of the dynamical phase transition where the time crystal melts into a trivial Floquet insulator. Moreover, we demonstrate that the model can be realized with current experimental technologies and propose a blueprint based upon a one dimensional chain of trapped ions. Using experimental parameters (featuring long-range interactions), we identify the phase boundaries of the ion-time-crystal and propose a measurable signature of the symmetry breaking phase transition.

Of course!!!

I wonder if this can be used to power a Turboencabulator?

EDIT:
Darn! SlowNail beat me to it.

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: BiffWellington

Can you make a flux capacitor with them? Is that what it says?

1.21 jiggawatts, Marty!

edit on 2017-1-31 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join