It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Thylacine(Tasmanian Tiger) revisted.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 05:27 AM
link   
G'day all!

So recently it would seem there have been a few interesting developments regarding the possible existence of this supposedly extinct animal and thought it may be of interest to some.

There are a couple of great older threads here too and I would like to kick off from where the last thread left us.

This is an old thread from 2009 www.abovetopsecret.com...

And this one is from last year www.abovetopsecret.com... and it is from here that I would like to carry on so it would be useful to read through that and listen to the given interview because the guest 'Andrew from the NE' came back and did a second interview and even supplied a new picture.
Just for reference here is a link to a brief article and the soundcloud of the first interview from the 13th of Jan 2016 www.tasmaniatalks.com.au...

And here is a link to the second interview and even a picture.
www.tasmaniatalks.com.au...
soundcloud.com...

To me this pic is pretty inconclusive, it could just as easily be the rear end of a wallaby but even if I was claiming it to be a wallaby I still couldn't tell for sure. But I would at least be confident in saying it is a marsupial.

Now Andrew does claim to have more and better pics but is understandably reluctant to release them although he is happy to show to any visitors that come his way. But more on that later.

The Thylacine is not only rumoured to still exist on Tasmania but there are an increasing number of sighting on the mainland as well.
Most recently this picture has been doing the rounds in the press.

www.dailytelegraph.com.au... 7e156199feedaf4cf4ef5a7a5
This article has a poor photo of the original so here is a copy of the original photo which first appeared on the aforementioned facebook group 'The Thylacine Awareness Group of Australia'. www.facebook.com...
It is a closed group but growing with all the press of late.

and cropped

Another article here.
www.theguardian.com...

Now any investigation wouldn't be complete without some blurry youtube footage would it?
Well here goes.....

Footage from 2008 in Victoria

Original footage and interview here...

www.youtube.com...

Footage from Western Australia 2013

www.youtube.com...

And this one is my personal favourite from 1973 in the Flinders Rangers, SA. Complete with Prodigy mix tape.

You can keep searching youtube and there is lots of stuff to watch, I believe there is even an episode of Monsterquest where they search for the Tasmanian Tiger too.

And if that isn't enough for you then last september Josh Gates and his Expedition Unknown crew went to Tasmania to film an episode which has recently aired called 'Tracking Tasmania's Tiger' and remember Andrew from the interviews at the start?
Well they went to see him and obtained a second photo from him. A better one in my opinion, inconclusive perhaps but still interesting. Possibly even more than one 'something' in that photo. And those that have seen his photos say the others are far more convincing than the ones released so far.

This is a screenshot from the episode.

My opinion, well I have never encountered one but many claim to have and I find it entirely plausible that a creature that once roamed may still be hiding out in pockets. Australia is a vast place and I imagine there are places that people have never set foot on.
The evidence presented here?
Well I will leave that to you and I do expect a lot of 'it's a mangy fox and feral cat'.

Either way there is a growing amount of people out there searching for them and if they are rediscovered that would be amazingly cool.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 07:59 AM
link   
My opinion of the first pic is that you are right in suspecting that it is a wallaby. I zoomed in on it and the rear feet and lower legs correspond with that of a wallaby and not a thylacine.
The photo taken through the fence looks a lot like a fox... in the head, but the tail does not seem foxlike to me. If it was a mangy fox, the tail would appear much thinner.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I agree that a lot could hide on mainland Austrailia, but Tasmania is a much smaller island, and thus less likely to be hiding something. Although it's possible, it's just a different scale then the rest of the continent.

And Tasmania rocks, I highly recommend a visit.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 09:13 AM
link   
The one by the fence could be a juvenile dingo, no?

I've seen the movie The Hunter.
I know how elusive they are

But joking aside, why couldn't there be a small breeding population?

I believe it is plausible.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

I do remember reading some discussion about the first photo and opinions on why it was not a Wallaby or a Pademelon.
There was a certain logic to it too and seems reasonable enough but yeah I don't think that is the best picture. I'll see if I can dig a little and find what they were saying and why.

And yeah that one through the fence definitely looks foxish in the head but that tail is no fox mangy or otherwise. One of the better argument is that foxes tails tend to be body length or shorter, this would appear to be longer than the body but again better perspective is needed.

I agree that a lot could hide on mainland Austrailia, but Tasmania is a much smaller island, and thus less likely to be hiding something. Although it's possible, it's just a different scale then the rest of the continent. And Tasmania rocks, I highly recommend a visit.

I have always thought it far more likely to exist on Tasmania than the mainland given that large portions of Tassie are for the most part inaccessible but yeah same can be said for the mainland.

Tassie is on my to do list at some point, it does look great.

The one by the fence could be a juvenile dingo, no? I've seen the movie The Hunter. I know how elusive they are But joking aside, why couldn't there be a small breeding population? I believe it is plausible.

I would say it is more Foxish or even Kangarooish but possibly a dingo although it is missing the white tip on the tail, or could be neither.
Not seen the Hunter yet but I have downloaded it so maybe over the weekend.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 10:53 AM
link   
The first photo is a rock wallaby, and the second is a fox. So they can be discounted.

However.......

I watched the Expedition Unknown episode just last night. That last photo you displayed, when I saw it on the show last night it was the moment at which I became convinced that the Thylacine is not extinct.

I live on a farm, I see Australian natives and non-natives daily. It's not a cat, not a fox, definitely not a Roo or Wallaby, I've never seen a wild dog with stripes like that on its tail.....

It's the stripes on the tail that are the dead giveaway. That cannot be anything else BUT a Thylacine in my humble opinion.

edit on 27/1/2017 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kryties

It's the stripes on the tail that are the dead giveaway. That cannot be anything else BUT a Thylacine in my humble opinion.

There are pictures of the tigers and the stripes on their tails seem much less pronounced.

That could be a large house cat.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

I won't discount that but if it is it's the biggest bloody feral or house cat I've ever seen - not including those whopping big Norwegian ones but that's definitely not what this is.

It's just too big, those weeds it's in give the clue as to its height. I must confess though that the pictures of known Thylacines have the stripes continuing up onto halfway up the torso. It's hard to tell but you can't make out any stripes on its back.

I don't know. I really don't. I do think of all the "extinct" creatures that could possibly have survived, the Thylacine has the greatest chance.

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Kryties

Australia is massive. I very much doubt that all the TT's where wiped out when they think they were. I just want a better picture or video.

If all the brazen animals were wiped out it would make sense that the remaining breeding population would be naturally more shy.

How about tracks? Any recent tracks found?

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 12:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kryties
The first photo is a rock wallaby, and the second is a fox. So they can be discounted.

However.......

I watched the Expedition Unknown episode just last night. That last photo you displayed, when I saw it on the show last night it was the moment at which I became convinced that the Thylacine is not extinct.

I live on a farm, I see Australian natives and non-natives daily. It's not a cat, not a fox, definitely not a Roo or Wallaby, I've never seen a wild dog with stripes like that on its tail.....

The first photo I would tend to agree that it is more likely a Pademelon or Wallaby but it is not definitive either way but I would happily say it is probably not a Thyla.

The second as much as it looks foxy I still have doubts that it is, the tail and curved spine are not foxy at all but I can see why anyone would say that.
Interestingly from a few day later in the same spot there is this pic of a healthy fox, definitely not the same animal. What strikes me is how small this fox looks. I believe there are going to be follow up investigations of that area so any new info would be great.

From the facebook group.

That last pic is quite telling, it actually looks better on my phone. The stripes seem more pronounced on a smaller pic.
Now it is tough to tell but zoomed in there is possibly a smaller animals backside right next to it and just a touch more to the right is perhaps the head of a Joey, although I admit it could be pareidolia.
I do see the cat too, I just wish this guy would release the better pics he has.

I don't know. I really don't. I do think of all the "extinct" creatures that could possibly have survived, the Thylacine has the greatest chance.

I totally agree with this, I have no idea if they are still around but it has to be a possibility.
More credible than the Yowie for instance.

edit on 27-1-2017 by pazcat because: to add

edit on 27-1-2017 by pazcat because: adding

posted on Jan, 27 2017 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: pazcat

It's a fox mate, I'm 110% sure of it. I've shot more foxes than I can count. They don't all look like the pictures you see in magazines. Mange and starvation can change a fox to look like a bloody alien sometimes.

Dont get me wrong, I'd love it to be a Thylacine but, as with all topics that are of mythological or conspiratorial nature, I look at everything with a skeptical eye first and discount all possibilities as best I can before coming to conclusions.
edit on 27/1/2017 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   
The more i look into the possivility of the tasmanian tiger being still around the more convinced i am they are.

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 07:17 PM
link   
You know theres some interrsting evidence from the mainland that tassie tigers are alive and well in victoria

posted on Mar, 24 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

I agree. I think a lot of the eye witness accounts are credible. They are farmers and people who have lived in the bush that are very good with animal identification. Australia is a large continent with most of its human population on the east coast.

Have you read any recent reports of tracks or possible scat?

new topics

top topics

join