It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Wants 20% Import Tax to Pay for Wall With Mexico

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Import tariffs are not a radical thing, in fact they are very common and are used to protect countries industries and jobs. The EU for example has an average 18% import tariff on agricultural products, the highest being for isoglucose which has a duty of a massive 604%

As for 'Mexico paying for the wall', surely the best way for that to happen is to put a toll booth at that big shiny door he's also building.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 06:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: snowspirit

originally posted by: earthling42
a reply to: Snarl

We should do that with the US on a worldwide scale, let's see how fast the US is on its knees.
Ohh, and of course protect Canada by building a wall which will be paid for by the US.

www.cbc.ca...

Up to a couple of billion bricks so far.....

And the funny part is, most of us would be more than happy to pay for it too.

Oh hell, who am I kidding... most of us would grab our shovels and brick trowels and run to the border to help speed up the process.

We'd even whistle while we work.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: xstealth
20% tax from Mexico
20% corporate tax cut from the US.

Cancel each other out and the consumers will not pay extra.

originally posted by: Pyle
This assumes that our trade with mexico is as large as our corporate taxes. I assure you they are not the same.
Great analogy !.. I hope you can show us all the facts and figures to avoid a fake news deluge.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 06:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: FauxMulder
a reply to: olaru12

So are you saying we should do nothing because it will take a while to rebuild our infrastructure? Doesn't matter that he will be gone, the ball will be rolling.

From your link:

Rebuilding America won't be easy.

Of course it wont be east but we are Americans and we can handle challenges.

Somehow I'm not surprised that you missed the point entirely.

Tariffs won't help build the infrastructure. In fact they will hurt our economy and slow the reconstruction down.

Trumps modified "trickle down" economics will only help the corporations and those already filthy rich.
edit on 26-1-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Rubber meet road. Lets see what trump can do with Congress. This will be a heavy lift. Trumps first.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 06:27 PM
link   
It is said the wall will cost 12 to 15 billion.... Didn't Obama pass a stimulus package of 800 billion where he threw money in the billions every which way to see it all basically fail in the end? He dumped 50 to 100 Billion alone on Green companies that the majority closed up shop shortly there after.....

So can someone explain to me why have we been debating 12 to 15 billion for like a year now when 800 billion didn't so much generate whimper of protest?

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 06:31 PM
link   
and the thing is Mexico is the US's 3rd largest trading partner. and look at their GDP....

but its funny how everyone here just blindly think its a good idea without questioning anything at all or realize the implications here at home.

perhaps thats why Spicer had to maybe try to clarify things a bit to those who just, almost clut-like, blindly accepts what Trumps wants as good [partisanship aside ffs...]

But shortly after he announced the proposal in an unscheduled "gaggle" with reporters on Air Force One, Spicer clarified to a separate group of reporters in the West Wing that it was just one proposal. "There are clearly a bunch of ways it can be done," he said. "The point is American taxpayers are not going to fund it."

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

They tried this already. The result was the Great Depression. Food prices will go through the roof, small domestic farmers won't be able to handle the burden, and Big Agra will take advantage of the situation by price gouging.

And that's just what will happen to our food......

I won't event get into oil and pharmaceuticals.

edit on 26-1-2017 by BELIEVERpriest because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-1-2017 by BELIEVERpriest because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 06:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Rubber meet road. Lets see what trump can do with Congress. This will be a heavy lift. Trumps first.

Now even conservative Republicans are beginning to see that Trump isn't playing with a full deck and backing away from him.

www.washingtonpost.com...

Heavy lift indeed.
edit on 26-1-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: FauxMulder
a reply to: olaru12

So are you saying we should do nothing because it will take a while to rebuild our infrastructure? Doesn't matter that he will be gone, the ball will be rolling.

From your link:

Rebuilding America won't be easy.

Of course it wont be east but we are Americans and we can handle challenges.

Somehow I'm not surprised that you missed the point entirely.

Tariffs won't help build the infrastructure. In fact they will hurt our economy and slow the reconstruction down.

Yea I must have missed the point because it sure looked like you were trying to say that it'll take a long time to get infrastructure rebuilt.

You know, because that's exactly what you said. You said nothing about tariffs.

How long do you think it will take to rebuild the infrastructure? Trump isn't like Jesus and able to snap his fingers when he wants a miracle. Hint, It will take at least a decade and Trump will be gone.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 06:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

The cost would only be passed on to the consumer. No government would actually be paying for it.

Here is where you MAndate a FReeze on companies inflating the prices to compensate.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 06:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: carewemust

Now even conservative Republicans are beginning to see that Trump isn't playing with a full deck and backing away from him.

Be he said that he would tax imports throughout his campaign. Those conservatives didn't pay attention to what they were voting for.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest

They tried this already. The result was the Great Depression. Food prices will go through the roof, small domestic farmers won't be able to handle the burden, and Big Agra will take advantage of the situation by price gouging.

And that's just what will happen to our food......

I won't event get into oil and pharmaceuticals.

Its why you issue a price freeze. Presidents can do that at times.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero
It is said the wall will cost 12 to 15 billion.... Didn't Obama pass a stimulus package of 800 billion where he threw money in the billions every which way to see it all basically fail in the end? He dumped 50 to 100 Billion alone on Green companies that the majority closed up shop shortly there after.....

So can someone explain to me why have we been debating 12 to 15 billion for like a year now when 800 billion didn't so much generate whimper of protest?

You mean Bush's Stimulus where Obama inherits the stimulus and people blame him for the debt?? Oh ya that one.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

How do you issue a price freeze when most stuff we get from Mexico is raw materials inputs in some of our factories? How do you not pass that cost onto the consumer?

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

Making mandates violates the principles of free trade. Its like telling rabbits to stop reproducing to prevent overpopulation. It would screw with the ecological balance.

Mandates burden economies. That is obvious with the ACA Individual Mandate.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: 83Liberty
Import tariffs are not a radical thing, in fact they are very common and are used to protect countries industries and jobs. The EU for example has an average 18% import tariff on agricultural products, the highest being for isoglucose which has a duty of a massive 604%

As for 'Mexico paying for the wall', surely the best way for that to happen is to put a toll booth at that big shiny door he's also building.

Oh, so that's why Europe is in such great shape.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I heard Mexico's exports to the U.S. totals 80% of Mexico's total exports? Is that correct? Will someone find a source for that for me please? I can't find it.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

Stop coming up with facts! The typical Trump pivot, denial and ignorance will follow. Haven't your figured out Trumputers are always right? If they aren't they will make up #alternatefacts so they are!

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 06:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pyle

originally posted by: xstealth
20% tax from Mexico
20% corporate tax cut from the US.

Cancel each other out and the consumers will not pay extra.

This assumes that our trade with mexico is as large as our corporate taxes. I assure you they are not the same.

It also assumes that the CEOs of the corporations getting the tax cut put those dollars in the consumers' pockets and not their own. Fat chance.

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join