It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Wants 20% Import Tax to Pay for Wall With Mexico

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: underwerks

So, now you're assuming the consumer will pay 20% more for the same product because... they love Mexico? I'll take your bet hahaha

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

originally posted by: Middleoftheroad
The way I see it, is if companies can't make money by importing products into the U.S. Then they will probably open up shop in the U.S., which brings jobs. Think about it we account for 25%+ of the entire worlds consumer market. Someone will fill that gap.

Or they'll do what they've always done, continue with their existing business model and just pass on the cost to the consumer.

If I was a betting man I know which one my money would be on.

It's sad that Trump supporters still think the "supply and demand" paradigm is still a viable operating principal. it's sad really really sad, believe me. very very sad. The concept of speculation goes completely over their heads. very sad.
edit on 26-1-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Konduit

Buy products that aren't made in Mexico. Problem solved.

Go to Walmart. How many products can you find that aren't made in China or Mexico?

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: bender151

So, now you're assuming the consumer will pay 20% more for the same product because... they love Mexico? I'll take your bet hahaha

Not because you love Mexico, but because you won't have a choice otherwise. Even at a 20% tax its still cheaper to import products from Mexico and raise the domestic price.

You honestly believe companies are going to open up factories domestically and invest the money it takes to do that when its cheaper to keep their existing model and just charge more?

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I am totally willing to pay 20% more for avocados in order to fund the wall. I can do without the Mexican Cruze hatchback so I am good with this plan.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 04:21 PM
link   
So if I move to Mexico I won't have to pay for the wall after all huh? Funny how that works.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 04:23 PM
link   
It's already making the news rounds that the 20% tax mentioned is an example of one way the wall could be paid for. It's not something definitely happening. Calm down, the sky still isn't falling.

I know, you want a link. Most modern web browsers have a search function built in. Try it.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 04:26 PM
link   
What is it ... 80% of their gross national product is based on imports to the US?

I'll believe Trump is serious about having Mexico pay for that wall ... when he puts a 2000% tariff on trade with them. It's not just the wall. They're our neighbors and the took advantage of us.

How would you feel if your neighbor sent his kids into your backyard and stole your hamburgers off the grill? LOL

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I personally think that Nieto will call Trump's bluff. At this point in time it's true that the US is the largest purchaser of Mexico's exports. However the US is hardly the only game in town. For example, with all the sanctions on Russia I'm sure them and Mexico can work out a nice trade deal.

I think in this case it may not come down to how long Mexico can act strong but how long the US can. Mexico will be benefiting from new trade deals long before the US is benefiting from Made in the USA products.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I wonder if Trump supporters realize that Mexico will put a tax on goods we export to Mexico. People in the US will lose jobs as a result And Property values in the US will slide way down. Trade wars never benefit anyone.

However...

There is an obscene amount of money to be made for the savy investor, if you know how to play the game.

My biz/econ. minor will pay off big time. Thank you Dr. G for teaching us how the economy really works.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
There is an obscene amount of money to be made for the savy investor, if you know how to play the game.

My biz/econ. minor will pay off big time.

There is a couple Chinese companies about to make some plays in Mexico. They are coming to stay, so you may want to keep an eye on them for your portfolio.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 04:31 PM
link   
I have to say, I find it interesting how many people are willing to pay 20% more on a large number of products to "pay for a wall" that will "stop the scourge of illegal immigrants" but they're not willing to pay an extra $0.30 for a hamburger so a US citizen can have a living wage.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: peck420

originally posted by: olaru12

My biz/econ. minor will pay off big time.

There is a couple Chinese companies about to make some plays in Mexico. They are coming to stay, so you may want to keep an eye on them for your portfolio.

Not only China but Russia and India....Putin is going to sell out his friend, wait and see.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 04:35 PM
link   
We sort of have a deficit with every country. Well, that means we will not be taxing trade with Russia. Had to throw that one in. Russia has to be involved somehow.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Whereismypassword

Stop wasting your calories man.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

The only problem is, he can't.
Any import tax will simply be passed on to the consumer.
Mexico will find other trading partners who are reliable and impose some import tax on products made in the US.
It goes both ways.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Natas0114

originally posted by: reldra
a reply to: xuenchen

The cost would only be passed on to the consumer. No government would actually be paying for it.

like we're not already paying for it with garbage products and engineered solvency?
Washing machines and refrigerators and automobiles used to last 20 years, now, 5....
Seriously?

Funny you mention that.

A couple years ago I bought this fancy Black & Decker coffee machine from Target for like $80. Broke within a year. Garbage.

Parents then gave me their old coffee maker from 1977 which still works beautifully.

Quality of product has gone down immensely.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: earthling42

Which is why you make the tariff un-payable. That's an immediate 80% suck on their economy. In a month, Mexican leadership would agree to do anything Trump told them.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl
Which is why you make the tariff un-payable. That's an immediate 80% suck on their economy. In a month, Mexican leadership would agree to do anything Trump told them.

Tariffs are paid by the importer, not the exporter.

I doubt Mexico cares who on your side pays it.

I also doubt they capitulate first, in today's supply chain systems, specifically in NAFTA's, you are going to have a lot of US workers sitting idle before the Mexican economy feels enough pressure to force capitulation.

posted on Jan, 26 2017 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

originally posted by: earthling42

BS, don't you think other countries would step in to take up the slack. It's a world wide economy now.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join