It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Donald Trump should not divest

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills
a reply to: UKTruth

Of course the president has to have a clearance. There are many jobs that require a clearance, both military and civilian, so if you can't pass a background check you can't have the job. Now we gotta make more special amendments for Trump? The Intel world won't allow that because it comprises national security.

Please can you provide some information on this.
My understanding is that a President has no security clearance and it is not required.

Background check to be President is a different matter. I am quite sure that is already done, given we are 1 week from inauguration.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 08:14 PM
link   
a reply to: DanDanDat

Trump will always know what his kids are doing and he could always use his power as president to help them.
That applies to every President. The concern is over Trump himself.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 08:14 PM
link   

You beat me to my edit. Apparently they don't require a clearance or a background check which is amazing. That said, Trump having that much debt is a yuge concern to security. Good news is he's being watched 24/7 so he can't get into trouble with the spies. It's foreign leaders and heads of multinational corporations we have to worry about.
edit on 13-1-2017 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 08:15 PM
link   

The president has no power to help his family's corporation. He has no insider information. He cannot order anything in the business world.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 08:17 PM
link   

You beat me to my edit. Apparently they don't require a clearance or a background check which is amazing.

That is what I thought regarding clearance. The President issues clearance. Apart from certain nuclear secrets he even has the power to declassify any document at any time. There is no govt document that he is not permitted to see. In this regard, the President GIVES approval, he doesn't seek it.

The background checks are what he has already been through and the financial docs are submitted.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 08:19 PM
link   

You beat me to my edit. Apparently they don't require a clearance or a background check which is amazing.

It's a moral issue really, rather than a legal one.
However, if something is so blatant, then he can be impeached, so he is certainly not above reproach.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Trump will always know what his kids are doing and he could always use his power as president to help them.
That applies to every President. The concern is over Trump himself.

Whose concern?

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 08:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
You are talking here about him being impeached by Congress and the Senate 'convicting' him with a 2/3 vote because his hotel had a foreigner in it. Good luck with that.

Check again because I never said anything at all like that. You're talking about someone else.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Those who think that being President is a full time job.
Those that think that an appearance of impropriety is sufficient to interfere with the function of the Office. Particularly with a President with as thin a skin as Trump.
Those who do not trust Trump.

edit on 1/13/2017 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

The job of president is to preside. It is all he has to do. A figurehead head of state. Most of the job is done by his cabinet.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Those who think that being President is a full time job.
Those that think that an appearance of impropriety is sufficient to interfere with the function of the Office. Particularly with a President with as thin a skin as Trump.
Those who do not trust Trump.

I suspect you mean those that don't like him.
How many Trump supporters do you think are up in arms that his proposal is not enough?
It's a partisan issue Phage.
edit on 13/1/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: JeremySun
You are terribly misinformed.
He is, among other things, the Commander in Chief of the armed forces.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Ah. So only Trump supporters count. Do all Republicans support Trump?
Does that apply to Congress too?

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

originally posted by: UKTruth
You are talking here about him being impeached by Congress and the Senate 'convicting' him with a 2/3 vote because his hotel had a foreigner in it. Good luck with that.

Check again because I never said anything at all like that. You're talking about someone else.

Excuse me, that was poorly worded... I mean 'you' in the general sense. Might be a Brit thing. We say things like "what you have here is a case of..."

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 08:35 PM
link   

No problem. Just wanted to clear that up and make sure we didn't have our T's dotted and I's crossed if ya know what I mean.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Ah. So only Trump supporters count. Do all Republicans support Trump?
Does that apply to Congress too?

Nope. But I am underlining that this is a partisan issue and has nothing to do with a real fear of Trump having conflicts of interests. It is purely a stick to beat Trump with because you don't like him. The fact is that any policies Trump pushes that are specifically benefiting himself will be obvious and Congress will deal with anything significant.
Time to admit that.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Your entire premise is wrong. He chose to run for the position of president fully aware of the condition that has been expected of all public servants. Thus it is NOT an infringement of basic freedom and human rights, because he chose to run and knew what was expected. Like the petulant and petty child Trump is, he thinks the rules don't apply to him. Apologists like you excuse this wrong behavior. There are conditions set forth that must be met to be president, if you don't like the conditions, don't run. End of Story. You are wrong, wrong, wrong.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 08:39 PM
link   

It's no secret I don't like (or trust) him.
Partisan? Like I said, do you think all Republicans don't care about his conflicts of interest?

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: richapau

Your entire premise is wrong. He chose to run for the position of president fully aware of the condition that has been expected of all public servants. Thus it is NOT an infringement of basic freedom and human rights, because he chose to run and knew what was expected. Like the petulant and petty child Trump is, he thinks the rules don't apply to him. Apologists like you excuse this wrong behavior. There are conditions set forth that must be met to be president, if you don't like the conditions, don't run. End of Story. You are wrong, wrong, wrong.

The President does not have any conditions placed upon him in terms of conflicts of interests, so it's you who are wrong.
As it happens, I don't think he did know that, but he's found out and decided to at least do something to separate himself from the day to day of his business so he can focus 100% on the Presidency. He's done more than he is required to.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 08:42 PM
link   

The presidential office is by its nature a public servant. Public servants are not allowed to use public resources or influence for private gains. There is no debate on this. To argue the contrary is foolish.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join