It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Donald Trump should not divest

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Forcing Donald Trump to divest and put the money from selling the Trump organization into a blind trust is an infringement of basic freedom and human rights.

In America, every person has the right to purse his or her dream jobs. Every person is entitled to work multiple jobs. Donald Trump will be taking salaries from being the CEO of the Trump organization, being the POTUS, being an exec producer of Celeb Apprentice at NBC.

Whether Donald Trump is POTUS or not, he will be taking salary from being CEO of the Trump organization. Profits made in business transactions, which are income deducted salaries, leases, taxes, maintenance and replacements, utility bills, food and drinks for clients, are invested in new infrastructure and starting new businesses. That's how the Trump organization grew over the past several decades. Being POTUS does not benefit Donald Trump personally. His salary at the Trump organization will not increase on or after January 20.

If Donald Trump sells off the Trump organization, what will his family do? His sons Donald Jr. and Eric would end up unemployed.

It is illegal to force Donald Trump to sell off the Trump organization. It isn't fair to his family, and it is an infringement of basic freedom and human rights to Donald Trump and his family.

I rest my case.
edit on 13-1-2017 by JeremySun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: JeremySun

Jimmy Carter gave up his peanut farm yet Trump shouldn't give up anything?

So should he keep all of his debts? He has hundreds of millions of dollars worth of debt all over the world. You think a president with that much debt is a good thing? Now, even if he did go the ethical route and get a blind trust does that exclude him from all of his debt? If so, then if he wants to be president he HAS to do this. You can't be the leader of America with that kind of insanely large debt! Having that much debt alone should have disqualified him.

And that's probably one main reason why he won't release his taxes.
edit on 13-1-2017 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: JeremySun
Forcing Donald Trump to divest and put the money from selling the Trump organization into a blind trust is an infringement of basic freedom and human rights.

In America, every person has the right to purse his or her dream jobs. Every person is entitled to work multiple jobs. Donald Trump will be taking salaries from being the CEO of the Trump organization, being the POTUS, being an exec producer of Celeb Apprentice at NBC.

Whether Donald Trump is POTUS or not, he will be taking salary from being CEO of the Trump organization. Profits made in business transactions, which are income deducted salaries, leases, taxes, maintenance and replacements, utility bills, food and drinks for clients, are invested in new infrastructure and starting new businesses. That's how the Trump organization grew over the past several decades. Being POTUS does not benefit Donald Trump personally. His salary at the Trump organization will not increase on or after January 20.

If Donald Trump sells off the Trump organization, what will his family do? His sons Donald Jr. and Eric would end up unemployed.

It is illegal to force Donald Trump to sell off the Trump organization. It isn't fair to his family, and it is an infringement of basic freedom and human rights to Donald Trump and his family.

I rest my case.

A conflict of interest (COI) is a situation in which a person or organization is involved in multiple interests, financial or otherwise, one of which could possibly corrupt the motivation or decision-making of that individual or organization.

en.wikipedia.org...

Trump is gonna be President of the United States, if he wanted to remain a citizen he should of stayed in business.

One day he could be called to take an action that could PERSONALLY cost him hundreds of millions of dollars.

On the contrary, he might one day be willing to GAIN hundreds of millions of dollars at the cost of America's interest.

HE needs to divest, this situation is just inviting corruption and much worse.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   

I am sure Hillary would have shut down the Clinton Foundation if she had won. Regardless, I could give a rats ass about what Trump owns or doesn't own.

People need to focus on what is important like bringing jobs back to America, investing in infrastructure and not getting in a nuclear war.

These are the things I care about.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Trump does not have to divest to put his holdings in a blind trust, as far as I understand it.
edit on 13-1-2017 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills
You can't be the leader of America with that kind of insanely large debt! Having that much debt alone should have disqualified him.

Okay fair enough.
So what would you say if we applied this same mentality to Americas 19 trillion dollar debt?
Should we still hold this much global power and control while we spiral into a perpetual debt abyss?

Your argument is very weak here...

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Trump needs to be totally focussed on being the President.

Conflicts of interest allow for constant prosecution by opponents which means he'll spend all his time before the courts.

Would the family of the POTUS have to get new jobs? Yes. Would they remain unemployed long? Nope.

And then there are their businesses and trusts separate from the Trump organizations.

So, I'd disagree with Trump retaining his businesses.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 05:48 PM
link   

As POTUS you are no longer a person like anyone else. You are a civil servant. Those are the rules and if you don't want to follow them then don't run. You can't have someone in charge with conflicts of interest in certain area's because the less leverage anyone has over him the better they can serve the nation and it's people. If you can't follow the rules you have business being president in the first place.

I rest my case.
edit on 13-1-2017 by mOjOm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 05:51 PM
link   
He has to remove the conflict of interest, or it will haunt him his entire term. His family will manage the assets, and it does not matter what anyone says, they will ask his advise on anything important, as owners. Who wouldn't.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv
He has to remove the conflict of interest, or it will haunt him his entire term. His family will manage the assets, and it does not matter what anyone says, they will ask his advise on anything important, as owners. Who wouldn't.

His family managing his holdings may be an issue. The way I understand it is that he has to put it in a blind trust in which it is managed by an independent party. Removing all conflicts of interest.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert
Then there's the problem of no one but Trump and his kin knowing the actual extent of his business involvements.

See, since Trump refuses to release his tax returns, the problem runs quite deep.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 05:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Swills

Jimmy Carter gave up his peanut farm yet Trump shouldn't give up anything?

Because the Trump organization does not solely belong to Donald Trump. It belongs to the Trump family. His kids also work there.

If Donald Trump shuts down the Trump organization, everyone in his family would be unemployed except himself who would work as the POTUS and an exec producer at Celeb Apprentice.

This is not Donald Trump's decision to make.
edit on 13-1-2017 by JeremySun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
Then there's the problem of no one but Trump and his kin knowing the actual extent of his business involvements.

See, since Trump refuses to release his tax returns, the problem runs quite deep.

That is true.

Do you think a complete divestment is the only way to remove any conflict of interest whatsoever?

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Is any of this non compliance stuff Trump is doing illegal??? Or is it just pointless suggestions and policy ideas???

Because the stuff he's doing is totally out of line. But if it isn't something that must be followed then what's the point???

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 06:01 PM
link   
If Trump sells the Trump businesses, he and his children would have a great deal of cash. You're worried about their future?

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
If Trump sells the Trump businesses, he and his children would have a great deal of cash. You're worried about their future?

His kids want to work. They don't want to stay home unemployed. You can't force them to be unemployed.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 06:05 PM
link   
With a divestiture there would be no way of knowing if everything was sold.

I think a blind trust is the answer. That way two things are accomplished. The trustees would have knowledge of the full extent of the holdings and there would be no room for conflict of interest.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Then he doesn't need to be President then. Where is it written that being President is supposed to not interfere with someone's life???

The President isn't some side job for someone to do on their spare time. How do you not get that??? It's not a second job for someone to make some extra cash when they're not busy. You're the leader of the f*cking nation, arguably the most powerful nation on earth.

You want someone to run that in their spare time when they aren't doing their other jobs????

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   
You can't stop them from starting their own businesses either.
You know, like their daddy did.

posted on Jan, 13 2017 @ 06:06 PM
link   

They can go get a job if they want. Are you serious???

Yes they can be forced to be unemployed. Just like everyone else they can lose their job at any time. Give me break.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join