It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion, what a farce it is.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 03:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

originally posted by: Tempter
+90% of the populace believes in a higher power. Yet you start a thread with no substance and expect to be taken seriously?

If you minus out those who don't really believe but say they do and like to believe that they believe the percentage is a lot lower.

Then out of that separate out into groups those who believe in radically different types of a higher power too because just saying higher power isn't the same as belief in God or some type of Religious belief.

Plus, even without all that, whether or not something is true isn't determined simply by how many people believe it. You can have 100% of people believing something is true and it can still be factually untrue.

Preaching at people your priests suggestions as science
Come on woody, you must be pretending to be that silly as a joke

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 03:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

Huh????

Seriously?? Does that even make sense at all???

Did you just throw some random words together hoping it would make sense or am I missing something??

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 04:10 AM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Your priests are the scientists
You are just an evangelist of your faith, no different

Learn to read in context mojo, don't fear education

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tempter
+90% of the populace believes in a higher power. Yet you start a thread with no substance and expect to be taken seriously?

If you minus out those who don't really believe but say they do and like to believe that they believe the percentage is a lot lower.

Then out of that separate out into groups those who believe in radically different types of a higher power too because just saying higher power isn't the same as belief in God or some type of Religious belief.

Plus, even without all that, whether or not something is true isn't determined simply by how many people believe it. You can have 100% of people believing something is true and it can still be factually untrue.

Is that english? Wtf are you saying? You think scientists are priests? You are really out there on a ledge huh? You said vegetarians were healthier than meat eaters. I showed you how that is not the case, and you start calling scientists priests as if that makes any sense. You do know you are a giant joke around these parts. Nobody cares what you say because you can't even say things intelligibly. You are so mad that i wipe the floor with your own words every time we do this. Lolkeep it up.

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

a reply to: Woodcarver

Cooking meat, that's silly
Vegetarians are more healthy than carnivores, cooked or raw

I have never heard such rubbish, ever, baby

that's because you don't believe in science and you don't read books. www.livescience.com...

Eating meat and cooking food made us human, the studies suggest, enabling the brains of our prehuman ancestors to grow dramatically over a period of a few million years.
all of the knowledge in the world is at your fingertips and you all want to make up a nice safe fantasy world where you are center stage for billions of imaginary gods. (your own ego)

Oh no
I love science, real science
Just not stupid science based on kiss my superior ass...umption, because some boffins say "I am a scientist and you a believer in my words." Yours woody is Almost Catholic devotion to the pope you worship a scientist?

Can you notice that the piece you quoted states very clearly the word " suggests"?
That means some gonzo is just guessing, don't call what is a belief a science, read faith as science

All the knowledge in the world is just hearsay to a suggestion and you are devoted to it, pathetic argument, yours IS A RELIGION
Lol read a book on nutrition. It is actually real science. No priests involved. They are not guessing about the nutrients found in food. Lol.
edit on 31-12-2016 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)
let me guess though, you are a vegetarian so you think it is a superior lifestyle.

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   

I find it hard to not reply to someone like yourself.

''Your priests are the scientists'' Really? You just said that. Science is not a faith, as it actually does something in this world. It discovers and upgrades the human civilization. If it was down to just religion, we would all be dying of all sorts of bad viruses and simply not living. Science saved humanity, religion basically is the annoying kid in the background that does not let the adults get on with their job.

It is not a religion to believe that fire hurts you when you touch it, its common sense and the simple fact that it would be dumb to leave your finger in the flame.

End of story.
edit on 31-12-2016 by BlackProject because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: BlackProject

Sadly, many here have turned science into a religion
The mere suggestion of a scientists becomes infallible truth as displayed
I might be a joke around here but I can laugh at what you say

I am not denying all science, just the crackpot funnies that I read some plebiscites say around here
We became special because we can cook meat, seriously?

Just for the record, I just had dinner, chicken and cashew nuts and Thai pork belly, it was ok

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 10:47 AM
link   

I am not denying all science, just the crackpot funnies that I read some plebiscites say around here

Just for the record, I just had dinner, chicken and cashew nuts and Thai pork belly, it was ok

Crackpot science?
m.huffpost.com...

Eating a raw food diet is a recipe for disaster if you’re trying to boost your species’ brainpower. That’s because humans would have to spend more than 9 hours a day eating to get enough energy from unprocessed raw food alone to support our large brains, according to a new study that calculates the energetic costs of growing a bigger brain or body in primates. But our ancestors managed to get enough energy to grow brains that have three times as many neurons as those in apes such as gorillas, chimpanzees, and orangutans. How did they do it? They got cooking, according to a study published online today in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
this is the fourth link i have provided. Have you read any of them?

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   

the only people who are trying to turn science into a religion are those who support religion over science. They are attempting to put science and religion on equal grounds. The problem with you is that you misrepresent any science that disagrees with your religious beliefs and claim that scientists are making assumptions and guessing at their work. This is proof that you don't understand what science is and that you would rather continue with your archaic beliefs in light of new discoveries.

So which fields of science do you disagree with?

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 10:57 AM
link   

the only people who are trying to turn science into a religion are those who support religion over science. They are attempting to put science and religion on equal grounds. The problem with you is that you misrepresent any science that disagrees with your religious beliefs and claim that scientists are making assumptions and guessing at their work. This is proof that you don't understand what science is and that you would rather continue with your archaic beliefs in light of new discoveries.

Any field that accepts suggestions and assumption as scientific evidence. The problem with you woody, you accept anything that confirms your pre conceived bias, even suggestions

You are no better than me
edit on 31-12-2016 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Any field that accepts suggestions and assumption as scientific evidence. The problem with you woody, you accept anything that confirms your pre conceived bias, even suggestions

You are no better than me
Which fields accept assumptions and suggestions? Specifically name the instances with which you think are assumptions.

This is not an issue of who is better than who. It is a question of scientific literacy. I am an actual scientist who performs multiple duties daily which support many theories. I believe these theories because i use them to make extremely accurate predictions. I know the theories are accurate because they play out exactly the same way every time. This is not faith or guessing or religious dogma. These are actual observations. Now please name the fields with which you disagree and show your work that describes why the actual scientists who actually did the actual work are mistaken. Perhaps you will earn a nobel prize for turning all of modern science on it's head by just being contrary.

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   

So you make assumptions that are classified as science, then farm them out as fact to all the plebs

Prize to you for farming out assumptions as facts, as science

Repeatable
Observable
And testable
Scientist? But don't understand science

Leave your dogma at the door
You are the reason science is a joke

Can you show me evidence my boffins adversary that cooking meat made us Homo sapiens
Go get em, or not
That's not science, that's crap, if you can't tell the difference, you should be back at school

Just in case you don't have the comprehension skills I would assume from a person talking themselves up on an Internet forum
You backed up the claim, I just questioned, cooked meat equals homo sapiens
The burden of proof is not on me, it's on you

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   

So you make assumptions that are classified as science, then farm them out as fact to all the plebs

Prize to you for farming out assumptions as facts, as science

Repeatable
Observable
And testable
Scientist? But don't understand science

Leave your dogma at the door
You are the reason science is a joke

Can you show me evidence my boffins adversary that cooking meat made us Homo sapiens
Go get em, or not
That's not science, that's crap, if you can't tell the difference, you should be back at school

Just in case you don't have the comprehension skills I would assume from a person talking themselves up on an Internet forum
You backed up the claim, I just questioned, cooked meat equals homo sapiens
The burden of proof is not on me, it's on you
One of those articles was taken directly from the national academy of science. I don't know of any more reputable source. I could find the actual scientists paper work but that might take some time to locate. Basically they are finding burn pits alongside skeletons. Which shows that early homonids as far back as 500,000 years ago, were utilizing fire. It's facinating. Just do some google searches.

I honestly can't understand what you are saying. What is a boffins? I wish you could articulate your thoughts a little better.

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

So i have explained my points pretty well so far. Just for #s and giggles,

why do you think humans have developed such amazing brains capable of developing technology and civilizations on such a grand scale?

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Way to go my champ

Again, I will type slowly, it may help you

Show me scientific evidence, cooking led to Homo sapiens

No some banal magazine that suggests it may

Do you understand the difference between science fact and suggestion

Should I link you something

Time for you to head back to school and learn the basics

Assumption and suggestion is a belief, I hounestly can't understand how you can't differentiate science from belief

Please also understand this simple statement
I am not making statements, I am questioning other people's stupid statements and beliefs

So far you have offered absolutely nothing of value to the discussion, nothing at all.
Only telling me how good you are and why I should bow down to you
I asked for science, evidence, you told me you are a scientists, that's not an answer, that's a pretty weak
It means nothing to me

QUESTION for you Woody, seriously, don't deflect

Remember the word SUGGESTION in the article, what does that mean, does that mean empirical evidence?

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Oh hey. A troll response. How surprising.

Haven't we done this way too many times already??? You need some new material.

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 04:38 PM
link   
And Raggedyman derails yet another topic he doesn't like with the same ol' tireless banter and rhetoric. Doesn't it get old proclaiming your undying hatred of science over and over?
edit on 12 31 16 by Barcs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Barcs
And Raggedyman derails yet another topic he doesn't like with the same ol' tireless banter and rhetoric. Doesn't it get old proclaiming your undying hatred of science over and over?

Thanks Barcs for that clear and precise answer

Oops, but what

Nothing again

The only ones hating on science are those who don't hold it to a standard and turn science into a circus

My question still stands

How can me asking for evidence of the topic being discussed be derailing the topic.
Or in your opinion, is asking for scientific evidence about a suggestion or belief an attack on science, therefore I am implying you hate the scientific method
It seems that way

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Oh hey. A troll response. How surprising.

Haven't we done this way too many times already??? You need some new material.

That question is open to you mojo,,have a go

The only trolls are those who reply without answering the question

posted on Dec, 31 2016 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

You never asked me a question.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join