It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religion, what a farce it is.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 08:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: tikbalang
I believe there is a depth to religion that needs to be observed. It takes metaphysical concepts and make them some what into reality by enforcing them as a cultural dogma.. It offers a soul, a purpose and a meaning outside of our natural environment..

Or, you could do what you are born to do, eat, s#, sleep and f# anything that has a hole.. Spreading seed is your purpose nothing more..

Edit: Work on being nice in 2017
You seem to be jumping the gun a bit. Wouldn't it be prudent to prove the existence of the "metaphysical" or "supernatural" before you start applying properties to it? Why don't people like you care about scientific methodology? I know there is a lot of bunk claims in the scientific world but that has nothing to do with the effectiveness of these methods to route out the truth and separate false ideas. The methods work. Why not apply them to your field of interest? Why do you just invent properties instead of actually figure them out?

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: loNeNLI

originally posted by: Woodcarver

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
a reply to: loNeNLI

blinks - but we have testable evidence of the existance and attributes of all 19 cars

and further - none of the 19 makes of car claim to be " the one true car " - nor do they claim that other cars do not exist only " this one " - which is exactly what religions do

but you are 1 step too far love
OP claims religion is invented

...which is, ofcourse, nonsense -- the soul is, per definition, "religious"
that is what makes him different then animals...right ?
be it religious in believing NASA...Trump...ManchesterUtd...or Hindu
souls don't exist. By definition.

yes.... - i'm afraid in your case that is true.

look; OP talks from an illegal taken position.
- he is using a computer, which'invention came by revelation from 'elsewhere'. He uses many things in his daily life, which were inventions - but often by geniusses : meaning those people did not 'get the ideas for products by themselves - but from the ideas of their spirit-entity [literally the meaning of 'genius'] .

That means that *also* this so-called "technical era" is religious !
why ?
because it presents the soul [not in your case though] a different vieuw upon reality.
and this 'modern vieuw' is "to control and rule nature" , with help of 'technics' , to try be 'autonomous'.

That
is a * religion* , tóo.
??? These inventions were worked out by scientists. You can clearly follow all of the subsequent proccesses that lead to the technology we have today. For you to simply claim that spirits act like muses is absurd. Pretend what you will, but don't expect anyone to take you seriously.

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Woodcarver

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

blinks - but we have testable evidence of the existance and attributes of all 19 cars

and further - none of the 19 makes of car claim to be " the one true car " - nor do they claim that other cars do not exist only " this one " - which is exactly what religions do

but you are 1 step too far love
OP claims religion is invented

...which is, ofcourse, nonsense -- the soul is, per definition, "religious"
that is what makes him different then animals...right ?
be it religious in believing NASA...Trump...ManchesterUtd...or Hindu
souls don't exist. By definition.

yes.... - i'm afraid in your case that is true.

look; OP talks from an illegal taken position.
- he is using a computer, which'invention came by revelation from 'elsewhere'. He uses many things in his daily life, which were inventions - but often by geniusses : meaning those people did not 'get the ideas for products by themselves - but from the ideas of their spirit-entity [literally the meaning of 'genius'] .

That means that *also* this so-called "technical era" is religious !
why ?
because it presents the soul [not in your case though] a different vieuw upon reality.
and this 'modern vieuw' is "to control and rule nature" , with help of 'technics' , to try be 'autonomous'.

That
is a * religion* , tóo.

Again, what?

Love this line of yours. ''OP talks from an illegal taken position.'' Amazing....

I am using a computer, by scientists that studied and pondered all real world and testable effects the world contains to create the masterpiece that is, the computer. You say geniuses do not get ideas from themselves, what? Does not take a genius to invent something superior firstly. Secondly, from what your saying all music created came from a supernatural being. Clearly not from someone who sat down for many hours crafting tones and notes to fit perfectly and thus creating music. No, cannot be can it.

and about souls, well do not want to even get into that. As I deem those that believe in ghosts and souls just as bad as one another.

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Humans have ego needs that create emotional energy.
Religion channels that energy.
There are many gates.

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Woodcarver

"metaphysical" or "supernatural" before you start applying properties to it? Why don't people like you care about scientific methodology

I did use it, or you think you are anything else than a bipedal primate

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   

"metaphysical" or "supernatural" before you start applying properties to it? Why don't people like you care about scientific methodology

Well let's see your work that proves that all you say is true. Unless you don't have any. In which case you did not use the scientific method.
edit on 30-12-2016 by Woodcarver because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 08:43 AM
link   

yea. Science is a joke when you just want to believe in fantasy. I get it. Science is hard. It's not for the weak minded.

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 08:44 AM
link   

What did science prove?

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Slichter
There are many gates.

edit on 20161230 by tikbalang because: Use philosophical statement WANA1244

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 08:49 AM
link   

What did science prove?
Lol. Just stay in your fantasy world. It's easier to invent a place that only you can understand. Then you are the master and nobody can tell you otherwise. Lol

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 08:49 AM
link   

What did science prove?

Science proved everything you know and can use and enjoy to this very day. Without it, you, me, all of us would have nothing. That is what science proved. Regarding what I think you are getting at, is not something we need answers for to get by day to day. However, science has helped us with the things we do need where as religion has basically sat on the sidelines laughing at science even though science wins all the competitions.

Bit like the school bully laughing at the geek, then the geek goes on to rule the world.

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 09:01 AM
link   

No, you made a statement of proving something with Science, I asked verify..
Science proved and disapproved everything I made in my first comment, if you find that me saying ;" Your purpose in life is meaningless and that religion offers a meaning out of the context of our natural environment " to be unscientific, I'm all ears to what your Science tells you..

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlackProject
Getting right to it. All humans have morality, that is. ''distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behavior.'' This is standard exchange between two humans.

We are a highly social species, using social structures like monogamy, family, clan, and tribe. Our ancestors were using these structures at least 500,000 years ago. If you were suddenly plucked from your life and sent back in time to live with people in Indonesia about 15,000 years ago (or even Ethiopia 150,000 years ago), you would be able to figure out what is going on. The basic social roles, responsibilities, and civil rules would seem somewhat familiar to you, and you'd fit in pretty fast. How is that possible?

link

That being said, taking any timeline from any point in time as humans we would get along, we would have a system in place at least. Religious teachings are vast, there are 19 major world religions which are subdivided into a total of 270 large religious groups.

Think about that for a moment. Not only is there 19 variations of a supposed superior being but every tale speaks about it differently. This shows the inconsistent nature of all major religions, not one of them can be deemed completely correct as non of them are consistent.

Also another big one. Depending on where you are born, and what family you are born into normally depicts what religion you follow if you follow one. Inst it odd, that the RIGHT religion, was the one you born into?

Most religions thrive off the feeling of being all powerful, all knowing and make a living out of it at the same time. Since the dawn of time.

It would be obvious then that religion is young in our lives and only invented to promote a product of fear, you must act accordingly. This does not speak of a system that built our world or that it has any knowledge of life before earth.

The question should be asked, who in this world thinks they are all powerful, all seeing and all knowing. Those might be the same people that allow religion to thrive?

Interesting, a lot of what you said was what Jesus taught

As for common morality, that's just silly

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: BlackProject

Many of those scientist are religious
Typical arrogant atheists, claiming they own science

How can you do that

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

How can you do that

Obviously there are religious people that work within science. So you contradict yourself, obviously not all scientists live only for science. However those scientists come from families that drilled it into their heads and being scientists would peruse real answers in science not their religion. Religion for people like that, are more Sunday dinner talk religious folk. Keeps them in a friends circle.

When you say atheists. You actually mean those people who wish to seek actual proof of life rather then adhere to some mad story, not Atheists as most religious folk like to promote them as. Atheists shouts belief, its not to believe anything. So is not a belief. Just a nice label religious 'Believers' like to put on others.

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 09:15 AM
link   

All our inventions of day and age would never have come without the concept of religion or a soul..
It's metaphysical states offers Homo sapiens an environment to thrive in, but like all things we see good, there is also a downside

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman

How can you do that

Obviously there are religious people that work within science. So you contradict yourself, obviously not all scientists live only for science. However those scientists come from families that drilled it into their heads and being scientists would peruse real answers in science not their religion. Religion for people like that, are more Sunday dinner talk religious folk. Keeps them in a friends circle.

When you say atheists. You actually mean those people who wish to seek actual proof of life rather then adhere to some mad story, not Atheists as most religious folk like to promote them as. Atheists shouts belief, its not to believe anything. So is not a belief. Just a nice label religious 'Believers' like to put on others.

You do know bp, sciences grew out of religion, the education they encouraged

You have nothing but a bitter hate filled argument
Your beliefs are a religion

and the name atheist, I didn't choose it for you, many identify themselves as atheist, don't be so frightened by a word atheist describe themselves by
Imagine if I started sooking because people labeled me a christian

Anyway, it's a childish argument
edit on 30-12-2016 by Raggedyman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Ok....,I get it... religion sucks.......BUT what about God?

What is your opinion of him?

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Slichter
There are many gates.

You reminded me of a passage of scripture.

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the
same is a thief and a robber. But he that entereth in by the door is the shepherd of the sheep. To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out. And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice. And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers.

This parable spake Jesus unto them: but they understood not what things they were which he spake unto them.

Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep. All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them. I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture. The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep. But he that is an hireling, and not the shepherd, whose own the sheep are not, seeth the wolf coming, and leaveth the sheep, and fleeth: and the wolf catcheth them, and scattereth the sheep. The hireling fleeth, because he is an hireling, and careth not for the sheep. I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine.
John 10:1-14

posted on Dec, 30 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Getting right to it. All humans have morality, that is. ''distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behavior.'' This is standard exchange between two humans.

We are a highly social species, using social structures like monogamy, family, clan, and tribe. Our ancestors were using these structures at least 500,000 years ago. If you were suddenly plucked from your life and sent back in time to live with people in Indonesia about 15,000 years ago (or even Ethiopia 150,000 years ago), you would be able to figure out what is going on. The basic social roles, responsibilities, and civil rules would seem somewhat familiar to you, and you'd fit in pretty fast. How is that possible?

link

That being said, taking any timeline from any point in time as humans we would get along, we would have a system in place at least. Religious teachings are vast, there are 19 major world religions which are subdivided into a total of 270 large religious groups.

Think about that for a moment. Not only is there 19 variations of a supposed superior being but every tale speaks about it differently. This shows the inconsistent nature of all major religions, not one of them can be deemed completely correct as non of them are consistent.

Also another big one. Depending on where you are born, and what family you are born into normally depicts what religion you follow if you follow one. Inst it odd, that the RIGHT religion, was the one you born into?

Most religions thrive off the feeling of being all powerful, all knowing and make a living out of it at the same time. Since the dawn of time.

It would be obvious then that religion is young in our lives and only invented to promote a product of fear, you must act accordingly. This does not speak of a system that built our world or that it has any knowledge of life before earth.

The question should be asked, who in this world thinks they are all powerful, all seeing and all knowing. Those might be the same people that allow religion to thrive?

You are almost there.

Religions are essentially the codification of behavioral rules (customs) which developed with human tribes growing bigger. That is why there are so many of them and why they differ from each other (different places different customs).

That is all there is to it, really.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join