It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Your entire life is just to fill up space, most depressing thread ever

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Our society is sick.

We ignore the real people who make the world a better place.

Without the nameless builders, plumbers, food servers, scientists, nurses, doctors, etc.
We would not be able to live in comfort.

I feel that you have a bit of jealousy for those who make money by entertaining.

Perhaps you have a creative calling your unaware of.

Try to make something, and if you like it, keep doing it and share with the world.

Maybe you're a writer, or painter, or performer or sculpturer, or turn junk into something beautiful and useful and you never knew it.

The first few times you make something, it won't be your best because you're learning. But if you enjoy doing it, keep it up.

If you share your creation with the world, it may inspire others to live their potential. Places like Amazon self publishing, etsy, youtube and Craig's list can give you money and recognition for your work.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   
We are nothing more than random evolution doing whatever it can to evolve further. We have no soul, there is no afterlife, the most evil will continue to prosper and life is ultimately pointless. Welcome to planet Earth.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   
What greater purpose can a human strive for than to be Gramma, or grampa... the most beloved figure in most childrens lives.
What good would having a million dollars be.... or living in the biggest house.... or having the fanciest car.

A wise man once said..... It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick world.

Remember life is nothing but a monopoly game. All this "stuff" was here before you sat down to play and it will be here long after you are gone...... in the end it goes back in the box and some new players will sit down and believe that they "own" it.... only to have it taken away without a moments notice....like they were never even there.
But the love that others feel for you..... can never be taken away. Cherish that above all and the material things lose a lot of their value

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 07:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: MissingRUnext
Well not everyone can have significant life and historical impact, not everyone can be Trump or Julian Assange or Snowden or Hitler or Bush etc

What if your life, or my life is all about being the filler material for existence.

Somebody has to be a construction worker, a janitor, plumber, burger flipper

Somebody has to have a crappy meaningless life because that is what universe requires to function overall.

Now if that is not depressing

I don't know what is

In the infinite universe everything is like a fart in the wind, and will dissipate quickly and no one will ever notice, or remember, even the people we think have a big impact on, and in history.

Just enjoy the now the best you can.

edit on 27-12-2016 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 08:09 PM
link   
If I never contribute anything worthwhile to anyone or anything, and am utterly forgotten; if no one lives who remembers I ever existed; if my sole purpose is some sort of connective tissue or necessary yet irrelevant domino in a series of falling pieces so that other, far more important people and events can be...

... I can live with that. If my existence is necessary for others, I am thankful to play that tiny, irrelevant role, even if it doesn't directly benefit me in any way.

If on the other hand none of this means anything at ALL, that I can't live with. That triggers an existential crisis and irreconcilable dissonance. Therefore, since the alternative is nothing mattering (which by extension would mean it doesn't matter what I believe or don't believe,) I choose to believe there is some meaning, and be humble enough to accept that I am incapable of ever comprehending it.

Peace.

link   
Stephen King danced around a concept once in a preface that really had an impact on me, and it went something like this...

What if you had a purpose in life? And what if that purpose was important, but was very obscure to you?

Maybe your only purpose is to die in some horrific way, so that another person sees you die, and is affected by it. Nothing says your life has to be glorious. You may just be marking time so that you are at some intersection at 0300 and hit by a car, die a gruesome and painful death, and was seen by some kid as they drive past at 60 MPH.

And maybe you've already FULFILLED your purpose. Maybe it was some chance encounter with a stranger 10 years back that you don't recall, who was moved pro or con by something you said. Now, you're just coasting along, running on inertia, and neither God nor nature cares what happens to you, as long as you don't get in the way of something that DOES matter.

Everyone sees themselves as the center of things, but maybe your only use was to slow someone down in traffic a few years back, so that they missed having a wreck too early in their lives. Now your life feels pointless, because it is.

link   
Sometimes I've asked myself why people are born who die so young, sometimes of nightmare diseases, abuses or accidents? All the wars and murders and everything in history. Some people have agonizing deaths whilst others die instantly. All these questions can bother you until you realize you can keep your hand in the fire or pull it away. Pull it away and live another day. You can't fix or change everything. Most of the time our instincts aid us to accomplish this, but sometimes it's a bumpy road, no matter who you're.

Based on my reading of a prior thread, you consider yosuelf a spiritual person. That answers my question somewhat why you feel this way. As an agnostic atheist, I've long concluded there's no science yet to support the afterlife or a god. Furthermore, I've had to come to grips with the raw reality I see around me. When we die, we're gone. Good people and bad people die with equal results. There's no bad place for bad people or good for good people. This reality matrix, or whatever it's, has rules we have to live by or we die. Some days are harder than others for me to accept these things, but after so many years of contemplating them the pain is softened. For you, being spiritual, you might have had an ah ha! moment, but you weren't prepared for its uglyness.

Physical reality doesn't care about us. It's indifferent. It's a system, a set of rules or processes. Yet life has emerged and proliferated. Life is like the universe observing itself. So reality doesn't care, but we do.

I was a christian growing up, so accepting this reality was slow. God cared about everybody. God punished those who committed evil. God gave the universe and life divine purpose. I had to leave all that behidn when I shed my religion. Still, in many ways we try to do what God would do because we want a good outcome, but we fall far short. Falling short of perfect is not failure, only quitting is. And there's still purpose or meaning, even if it's not divinely inspired. It serves the same instincts.

I look for meaning everyday. For me, it's in humanity's accomplishments and of course our explorations. I want to see us do well because I'm always amazed at what people are able to do. It's like getting hit over the head, except it feels good. And there's nothing more fulfilling than learning about the universe's puzzles. I don't think anything is more gratifying than seeing the stars at night. Nothing approaches that, for me.

Look here:
phys.org - Death anxiety prompts people to believe in intelligent design, reject evolution: research...

After going through these steps, participants who imagined their own death showed greater support for intelligent design and greater liking for Behe, or a rejection of evolution theory coupled with disliking for Dawkins, compared to participants in the control condition.

However, the research team saw reversed effects during the fourth study which had a new condition. Along with writings by Behe and Dawkins, there was an additional passage by Carl Sagan. A cosmologist and science writer, Sagan argues that naturalism – the scientific approach that underlies evolution, but not intelligent design – can also provide a sense of meaning. In response, these participants showed reduced belief in intelligent design after being reminded of their own mortality.

edit on 12/27/2016 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: MissingRUnext

If there is something that disturbs you, something that bothers you, or something that gives you joy, just wait; it will surely pass!!
Just do nothing for long enough, and it will 'change/pass'!! *__-

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Sorry to be sappy....but this may be one of THE MOST inspirational threads I have seen on ATS in a long time.

Funny to me to see so many, whom appear to be adversaries, come together in a thread and lend hope to those in need....

Maybe....just maybe....this could continie?

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 10:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bedlam
Stephen King danced around a concept once in a preface that really had an impact on me, and it went something like this...

What if you had a purpose in life? And what if that purpose was important, but was very obscure to you?

Maybe your only purpose is to die in some horrific way, so that another person sees you die, and is affected by it. Nothing says your life has to be glorious. You may just be marking time so that you are at some intersection at 0300 and hit by a car, die a gruesome and painful death, and was seen by some kid as they drive past at 60 MPH.

And maybe you've already FULFILLED your purpose. Maybe it was some chance encounter with a stranger 10 years back that you don't recall, who was moved pro or con by something you said. Now, you're just coasting along, running on inertia, and neither God nor nature cares what happens to you, as long as you don't get in the way of something that DOES matter.

Everyone sees themselves as the center of things, but maybe your only use was to slow someone down in traffic a few years back, so that they missed having a wreck too early in their lives. Now your life feels pointless, because it is.

This...precisely.

Nobody is the center of anything but their self. Hence the suffix "-ish".

I could not agree more with any post I have ever read on ATS.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Yes.

This is ATS gold.

And I for one am glad that everyone here was born and now exists in the world so that they would participate in this ATS thread at this exact moment in time so a wretch like me could stumble across it and be quenched in a way that surprises me. It's a nice surprise.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 11:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: geezlouise

Yes.

This is ATS gold.

And I for one am glad that everyone here was born and now exists in the world so that they would participate in this ATS thread at this exact moment in time so a wretch like me could stumble across it and be quenched in a way that surprises me. It's a nice surprise.

Ha..I, for one, totally get your enthusiasm....it's outstanding!

Sorry...that was an attempt at bringing sarcastic humor to a very drab thread OP with surprisingly positive responses.

To all here...go on Netflix and watch OA. It is exactly what bedlam posted about. Not for everyone but great nonetheless.

So when you binge watch it...make sure at the last episode you continue to listen until about 47min 30 sec...while credits are rolling.

Very powerful show....
edit on 12/27/16 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Yes.

This is ATS gold.

At first I thought you were beautiful...... then after reading this post.... I know beyond any doubt.

posted on Dec, 27 2016 @ 11:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: VinylTyrant
Be the change. I was on a path to nowhere.
Now I'm one of the construction workers you speak of.
My life is dope city.
When I turned 30 I had $1000 to my name.
8 years later, I just bought my first house and a bmw in the same week.
Haven't made music in 10 years, completed 2 albums in the last 2 years.
10 years ago I was 40 lbs overweight. I dropped 30 in 1 month, got diesel the old fashion way, dedication. I never turned back.
I got divorced at 29.
My fiancee now is well educated. the hottest woman alive, and loves me to death.
When I was 29 I was sleeping in my car in February in NYC.
Now my heat stays at 70.
Be the change.

In Australia we call that "Bloody Well Done Mate"

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Big things usually have small beginnings.

Being filler or some small cog not so bad, depending on what fate we choose or chose, and if destiny allows, opportunity.

Problem is that the modern life is kind of stagnant, psychically an socially.

Work never done, and unless you impacted someiones life for better or for worse and if you killed yourself, it would be the scrap bin as the next self proclaimed cog.
edit on 28-12-2016 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-12-2016 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Oh my god I just finished that show a few days ago and I loved it so much.

So much.

But I don't even know what to make of it like was she really...? (Spoiler alerts?!) An angel? Or was it all just her way of processing something really terrible that happened like the FBI guy said. But her eyesight.... returned. But maybe because she wasn't born that way? I honestly barely grasp what it is that I just watched but I loved it all. So much.

a reply to: Zimnydran

Thank you wow, I'm speechless.

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 12:31 AM
link   
"Your entire life is just to fill up space, most depressing thread ever"

Maybe.
But there were 3 posts at 9:09, so did 2 fail at filling-up space? (Just joking.)

What is this "life", we are supposed to have? Who, or what aspect of us has a life?
What "space" needs to be filled-up, why, and what is unfilled space?
Other than what pharmacology preaches: what exactly is depression, and Who, or what aspect of us gets depressed?

Just the ego, or something else, or no reason?

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 01:16 AM
link   

a reply to: Zimnydran

Thank you wow, I'm speechless.

Speechless....that is how you describe a man who read your words and thoughts... and had to ponder the notion that such a beautiful mind is out there, somewhere beyond my reach.... I think even the stars above look down to see you and say....isnt she beautiful..... and I too am glad that I was here, at that time, at that moment to read it.... and that the OP made his post just when he did..... he may not know it, but his being "here" already has had an effect on me
edit on 28-12-2016 by Zimnydran because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 01:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: MissingRUnext

Sh!t, maybe I should just kill myself and be done with it, I don't have kids or anything

It's always an option, and some have wondered whether topping yourself is the greatest philosophical question.
People have struggled with this for millennia and will continue to do so.

The only problem is that if you do top yourself there's one less person thinking about the answer. Look at all the "everyone is special" responses that your topic has gotten.

Do you really wanna check out and leave them to ask this great philosophical question?

posted on Dec, 28 2016 @ 02:23 AM
link   
a reply to: MissingRUnext

This thread reminds me of one of my older threads. It has a similar, somewhat Nihilistic theme to it.

Just remember your feelings of sadness and emptiness are only temporary.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join