It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian Aboriginal People Reclaim Wandjina Image which sparked claims of Ancient Aliens

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 02:14 AM
link   
The Wandjina are cloud and rain spirits from Australian Aboriginal mythology, commonly shown in rock art dating back approximately 4000 years.

It has been commonly thought, particularly in UFOlogical circles that these Wandjina may represent alien beings, and there have been a number of threads on ATS regarding this supposed mythology.

I myself have been quite enamoured of these tales myself, and was very interested to come across this response from the traditional owners of the land regarding the Wanjina mythos.

www.abc.net.au...

Aboriginal families in Western Australia's north are finding ways to reclaim a sacred image that sparked rumours of Arab voyages and aliens during the early days of British exploration.

The large, looming Wandjina are spirit figures drawn on thousands of cliffs and cave walls in the Western Kimberley, and came to national prominence when they featured in the Sydney Olympic opening ceremony.

Worrora woman Leah Umbagai said they were considered sacred by three tribes in the area.

"The Wandjina is a supreme being that created the country, gave us the laws of the land, and we have to obey and follow it," she said.

So it appears the story has little to nothing to do with aliens other than the interpretation of certain people in UFOlogical circles.

Pictures fuel Australian 'alien' landing theory

The misunderstanding fuelled theories Asiatic or Middle Eastern people at one time occupied the Australian continent, and set the scene for an even more offensive proposition — that the Wandjina were drawings of aliens that visited prior to white settlement.

The theory emerged in the 1968 book Chariots of the Gods? Unsolved Mysteries of the Past, which was written by Swiss author Erich von Daniken, and detailed examples of ancient civilisations that could be evidence of alien life form.

Donaldson said the theory never gained much traction.

"It was just ignorance on von Daniken's part, the kind of ignorance that goes back to the people who initially, 100 years ago, thought that Aboriginal people were not so sophisticated enough to do those paintings," he said.

The traditional owners now wish to re-educate people on the history of the Wandjina and what they represent.

"A lot of the people that come into the art centre, they ask so many questions, and yes I suppose there have been UFO sightings in America and all of that, but it just really saddens me that they say things about it," she said.

Efforts are underway to reclaim the image, including high-tech 3D imaging used to create a life-size Wandjina cave at the Mowanjum Art centre, so local Aboriginal children and tourists can learn about the importance of the rain-making spirit figure.

Interesting and enlightening, from those in the know, and fascinating images, whatever their heritage.

edit on 5-12-2016 by cuckooold because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 02:46 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 03:23 AM
link   
a reply to: cuckooold

Creation spirits -Wandjina from the west.

nimbinmuseum.com...

There are many sacred sites, initiation areas, camp sites and ceremonial grounds, belonging to the seven clans of the Bundjalung in the Nimbin valley. For example, the original Nimbin showground was built on a major ceremonial ground. In fact many showgrounds of towns and cities in Australia are built on Aboriginal ceremonial grounds, which were large cleared circular areas.

Aboriginal culture may be right under your feet.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 03:25 AM
link   

I have great respect for the Maori. [typo fixed]

They have ancient stories of DreamTime we can learn from these people.

It's time to listen to ancient history rather than the cover up the Gov'ts are trying to push about it.

OPEN YOUR EYES.

Not related to Vanilla Sky although i loved that one!
edit on 5-12-2016 by JesusXst because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Have we got some of the traditional owners of the land making the claim or do we have some outsiders making this claim on their behalf. I would like to see that first. Seems there is money in the form of grants, land and donations which I've never, ever seen go to the land or to further investigation.

I have extensive experience believe me. Claims are made and millions disappear, The children who need the money never see it, the Windjina are mythical. Kinda like the snake serpent, yowie, kadicha, spirits and petrol sniffers.

I love the beliefs but that is where it stops when it comes to the dollars and donations. The pics are not real. I've been out there.

If the present traditional owners don't respect their past anointing these claims and images then as I thought 10 years ago.

All is lost in central aussie. (Uluru as example) Soon to move to northern aussie where these claims have started to surface.

The test is do you believe and will you show empathy and provide dollars. If so, you'll be able to witness some of the art etched into sites for yourself. Now,,, look at a movie staring "Magnum' aye!!! There is a situation where the female in the movie is placed in a cave. The paintings were spray painted but are still used as a traditional site where people will pay to go there and take stupid photo's believing these to be thousands of years old and it's a protected site. Why??? dollars mate.

More money in bull #e and drunken acting rather than truth. Original people were never obese (*1800's) and life expectancy was about mid thirties.

Now the complaint is that white life expectancy is still more than the original claimants regardless of twice the life span experienced by same nowadays and their poor diet.

Now back to your paintings, probably made by 25 to 30 year olds. They, the artists, were considered old in those days. Whatever they saw or witnessed might be likened to landings on the coast by explorers albeit European or Asian. Many years ago. There are thoughts that even Egyptians landed a couple of thousand years ago.

Imagine the explorers uniforms, helmets and wide eyed looks compared to naked originals perhaps observing through their objectional eyes and translating same to paintings.

I have firm belief that the shores of aussie have been visited prior 1500's.

Kind regards, bally

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 03:39 AM
link   
a reply to: JesusXst

Hi, who are the "Marori" We are talking australia. Never heard of this tribe.

My kind regards,

bally

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 03:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Kester

Hi Kester. Never seen this painting from ancient times. Can you please tell me where the pic is from.

bally
edit on 5-12-2016 by bally001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 03:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: JesusXst

I have great respect for the Maori. [typo fixed]

They have ancient stories of DreamTime we can learn from these people.

It's time to listen to ancient history rather than the cover up the Gov'ts are trying to push about it.

OPEN YOUR EYES.

Not related to Vanilla Sky although i loved that one!

Maori are not Aborigines..

Oo

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 03:47 AM
link   
a reply to: bally001

Yes Maori, I fixed the typo thanks for that.

They spoke of Dream Time. This reality not being real, and that we, You and I are dreaming.

I've always been interested in it, I connect with it.

Peace

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 03:50 AM
link   
a reply to: savemebarry

Did I refer to the term 'Aborignies' I don't think I did. Now how is it you came up with that analysis?

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Yeah okay, in context we are talking Australia. The Maori are a separate entity. Didn't know they had dreamtime. Your post is enlightening and I've learnt something. Thought they just killed and ate people pre 1800's.

Kind regards, bally
edit on 5-12-2016 by bally001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Hi Bally, I was hoping you'd chime in on this, as you are one member whose knowledge on indigenous affairs and mythos I have respect for.

As for the claims, according to the article the woman discussing the Wandjina is one Leah Umbagai.

Worrora woman Leah Umbagai said they were considered sacred by three tribes in the area.

"The Wandjina is a supreme being that created the country, gave us the laws of the land, and we have to obey and follow it," she said. "The Wandjina is not just a big picture on the wall, it's the trees, it's the rocks, it's the water, it's the seasons, it's everything … it lets us Wandjina people know who we are, and how to live our life."

This statement is telling.

But the history of white contact with the Wandjina is marred by misunderstanding and wild theories that remain deeply hurtful to the Worrora, Ngarinyin and Wununbul tribes to this day.

As to what politics are involved here, and who is speaking for who, I am not sure. I do not doubt however that if there is a someone from one of these indigenous groups with a differing opinion we are more likely than not to hear from them.

Leah Umbagai appears to be an of Indigenous artist of some repute.
Excerpt from interview follows;

japingkaaboriginalart.com...

The Mowanjum community represents more than one language group. Which groups are those and why were they drawn together?

Leah: There are three tribal groups. They are Worrorra, Ngarinyin and Wunumbal and the tradition of the three tribes is combined under Wandjina which combines the three in shared customs and the law of country. We believe that Wandjina is the creator. He created the country, the people and the land since the beginning when people were first together.

Who is allowed to paint Wandjinas?

Leah: The Wandjinas can only be painted by the Ngarinyin, Worrorra and Wunumbal people. We have had people in the past who didn’t know the procedures and protocols for painting Wandjinas. It has really hurt us in the past that people have painted and done all sorts of stuff with Wandjinas. It only belongs to this one area. We were given Wandjina to look after this particular country and it belongs to only the three tribes. Therefore it is only the people who are Ngarinyin, Worrorra or Wunumbal who can paint Wandjinas.

I have firm belief that the shores of aussie have been visited prior 1500's.

You may be correct on that. I am on the fence, but a lot less skeptical about indigenous contact than a lot of modern tales of UFOlogy

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 03:58 AM
link   

"The Wandjina is a supreme being that created the country, gave us the laws of the land, and we have to obey and follow it," she said.

Leaves it open as to where that being came from though .
edit on 5-12-2016 by hutch622 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 03:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: JesusXst

Yes Maori, I fixed the typo thanks for that.

They spoke of Dream Time. This reality not being real, and that we, You and I are dreaming.

I've always been interested in it, I connect with it.

Peace

you are mixing New Zealand with Australia. Maori are in New Zealand.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 04:07 AM
link   
maori and aborigine, are different.

The haka.. this always intrigues me

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 04:14 AM
link   

Cheers for your reply mate. Modern paintings are misinterpreted. Ancient paintings, well, okay. I have not seen an ancient painting on this thread that I recognize. Funny that. perhaps I am not up to date. Closest I see is a drawing etching apparently undertaken by an artist other than the original depicting a cave painting.

Never seen this cave or it's painting.

Now certainly there are UFO's in this mythology and I do have some third party (Albeit tangible) evidence of a UFO crash at "Mission Creek" in the Tanami many years ago. But then again, even after speaking with the witnesses, some who are either now passed or soon to be I have been unable to pin point the exact location. Mission Creek is a big area.

Only clue for a location I have is "down at Mission Creek where the Tjakarjiris grow"

Tjakarjiri (Pronounced jakajiri) is a bush tucker and know as "Bush Sultana" and really tastes like a sultana. Any way the flamim things grow across a wide expanse,

Now I appreciate the op but I have found from some personal evidence that the locals will tell you certain things at a cost. And the truth is sacrificed for money. Example, hire a guide. You'll never find what you are looking for and even after a good relationship for say about 2 weeks you'll be kicked of the land when you run out of dollars or "Grog".

Sad but true, (many many years there)

bally

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 04:26 AM
link   

The Wandjina is a supreme being that created the country, gave us the laws of the land, and we have to obey and follow it," she said.

So are they saying that its mythological or that there really was a supreme being that came down and talked to them?

The Wandjina descended from the sky in thunderstorms which are why they are considered rain spirits.
I would say descending from the sky to teach laws is fairly consistent with alot of other cultures around the world and I find that coincidence interesting.

Were left with 3 options
1) The Wandjina are figments of imagination, I find this unlikely due to the consistency of this story with other mythologies around the world
2) It really was a God
3) Aliens

I dont see how it being aliens insults or compromises their culture and someone from modern times saying it wasnt aliens holds about as much water as someone from modern times saying it was aliens

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 04:39 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

Hi Hutchman, great to see you chiming in.

There are a couple of hundred tribes and languages across our land mate. Each has perhaps a unique dreaming but those aligned at the borders have similar dreaming, language and interpretations.

Go from east coast to west or perhaps south Aussie to the top end and there is a big difference in dreaming and painting persay.

The only similar theme I see is the 'rainbow serpent' and have been involved in some personal investigation in central Australia with a couple of highly regarded men. Sadly some have passed. The 'serpent' seems to have a similar theme across the land but does differ for arguments sake from Sydney, east coast, to central Australia. But I have learnt that the central Australian theme is similar to far north west coast where there was, believe it or not trade undertaken from central aboriginals with those at that coastal location.

Now the 'spooks' which appeared on the scene are difficult to interpret. There is a belief that beings from the sky had an impact. No doubt. I've spoken with many who believe in these entities and swear to their existence. Part of dreamtime except for the 'mission creek" incident which is more recent.

I often wonder if the 'serpent' crossing the skies and making it's way across the land may be related to the legend of Wandjina.

My thoughts only,

bally

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 04:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: bally001

Yeah okay, in context we are talking Australia. The Maori are a separate entity. Didn't know they had dreamtime. Your post is enlightening and I've learnt something. Thought they just killed and ate people pre 1800's.

Kind regards, bally

LOL ... ok that made me laugh.

I dare you to go to Australia/New Zealand and walk into a bar filled with Maori, then tell them you thought they ate people pre 1800's lolololol... Sorry i know a guy that went there and experienced that first hand. All he said was, Damn I should have brought a gun! laughs....

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 04:55 AM
link   

I know, I know and lol from myself. Memories I actually went to the "Oaks Hotel" I think it was in 79 and got taken out because I asked a guy why he was staring at me. A week later I got smashed for asking directions, pissed of course, in the "Cuba" mall 2am.

No disrespect intended in either incident but enlightening afterwards. My offsider/mate ended up in hospital. Cops had no sympathy lol. I was young and stupid, My first venture to NZ.

Know where you're coming from mate.

I have relatives from the same country.

bally

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join