It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Writing Forum for Non Fiction...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 05:09 AM
link   
...Hello... I have been around this website for several years. I was also off for several years ,as I was one of many who had their accounts hacked... I have done a bit of writing on this site,usually poetry and fiction.

...I am wondering about the possibility of a Non-Fiction writing forum. This could be for Articles on popular culture, current events, etc..

I actually have a few articles/ideas I would like to present...

Cheers!

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 05:46 AM
link   
a reply to: cosmokatt7

Haha OMG! And the award for dumbest ATS thread of the day goes to:

Not you of course, such a smart suggestion! Just because I am an idiot, what do you think these forums floating around are for? You know the non fiction ones like "other current events", "ancient and lost civilisation", "people", etc.
You can find them all here, with one exception all non fiction.

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 06:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

...No necessarily Topics for conversation... Individual self sufficient Articles...

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 06:21 AM
link   

That's a sad statement about the pathetic quality of threads. The OP is supposed to be exactly that a "self sufficient article".

I believe it shows an alarming lack of self confidence to hide the presented information behind the phrase "what do you guys think?" instead of giving the actual topic two thoughts more trying to make a case.

edit on 2-12-2016 by Peeple because: Add

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 06:53 PM
link   

...When I open a tab on the ATS site... It says "Discussion Forums""...

I believe that most people who post here (on ATS) do so with the intentions of starting/generating discussions...
Hence..."What do you think"? Which is appropriate since their intention is not writing a self contained article
I feel, you Sir, are being intentionally obtuse... In my experience, (which is not limited) when people are being
intentionally obtuse the often need attention...

Perhaps you need some attention... Hum...?

edit on 2-12-2016 by cosmokatt7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: cosmokatt7

...When I open a tab on the ATS site... It says "Discussion Forums""...

I believe that most people who post here (on ATS) do so with the intentions of starting/generating discussions...
Hence..."What do you think"? Which is appropriate since their intention is notwriting a self contained article
I feel, you Sir, are beingintentionally obtuse... In my experience, (which is not limited) when people are being
intentionally obtuse the often need attention...

Perhaps you need some attention... Hum...?

Thats actually a cool idea! write your own "article" with sourced material.. or simply experiences youve had which are true, yet interesting/site appropriate. Maybe even autobiographical. There are many directions to go with this. Instructional things... survival or firearm.. like manuals for different weapons thats a personal review of the firearm/weapon.
Take me for example.. I know all sorts of things and dont necessarily need or want a discussion. Ive done some things others havent.. or wouldnt LOL! I know it already and dont need to taaaaalk about it. But I can share it. For many of us older folks on here... we know things the younger ones will never have the chance to be taught. It would be pretty wonderful to share it.

I dont know.. brainstorming. LOL!

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Oh sweet, I didn't expect anything else from you with your handicap (think golf) than to go into personal attack mode.
I need your attention. Right.

Just for you one last reason why you're a worthy candidate for the award,

It's a bit small, but it says "If your topic is important for you, make sure you explain why, with links and supporting material, so that our members may offer more relevant contributions, and ultimately better threads."

Even if you just offer a topic for discussion you have to offer your case. An articulation of your argument. An article. Containing content. I don't know how to tell you, ask someone else maybe they draw you a picture and make a song to explain it to you?

edit on 3-12-2016 by Peeple because: Add

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 03:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

That's a sad statement about the pathetic quality of threads.

There's sort of a difference when I post things to stir up conversation rather than when I try to teach a small topic.

I find that a five part OP with pictures and whatnot is often too long for the casual reader to wade through, so segregating that off into a forum where you expect that sort of thing instead of three paragraphs and some links might be useful. Also it would be nice if there was a much much bigger post length limit in that sort of thread.

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 03:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Bedlam

Also comes from people not thinking through what their point actually is. We get the draft not the painting.
Which is also fine as long as those 5 paragraphers don't force me to pay attention to their ramblings, I don't read them, why should I?

Poor mods!

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 03:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Peeple

Also comes from people not thinking through what their point actually is. We get the draft not the painting.
Which is also fine as long as those 5 paragraphers don't force me to pay attention to their ramblings, I don't read them, why should I?

Poor mods!

It's pretty tough to explain the difference between total emitted power and EIRP to someone with no math skills in 25 words or less, who wants to come away with an actual understanding of the topic and not just a definition.

Same with the evolution of satellite imagery, and how it relates to current state of the art.

There are, in fact, a lot of topics I could do a nice article on, but which are too long to fit ATS' format without being disruptively long. The main forums are more a chat area.

I might add, it might be nice to be able to embed some _javascript-ish stuff, but it wouldn't be safe in the main forums. A nice active calculator for 'what can you physically observe given an aperture, wavelength and distance' would be nice to have in an article explaining why you can't read the dates on coins from a satellite. But again, going through the history of how we came to the understanding that optics have limits on the amount of information that can pass through them, some overview of the math, the people involved, and how we might get past that in the future, with some handy in-article interactive demos just doesn't fit the main forums. But is a constant source of discussion in them.
edit on 3-12-2016 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Like synthetic apperatures using constellations of satellites imaging using microwaves. They cant read newspaper print.... but braille.....

You know considering those microwaves have to travel through the lower ionosphere. Hey! That gives me an idea!😃What if you.......

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 04:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR

Like synthetic apperatures using constellations of satellites imaging using microwaves. They cant read newspaper print.... but braille.....

You know considering those microwaves have to travel through the lower ionosphere. Hey! That gives me an idea!😃What if you.......

Well, yeah. That sort of thing. But you know, how DO they get images if there's no lenses? And no light? What sorts of images do they get? How is that different from optical imagery? That's the sort of thing you can't teach with one post. Not and it make sense to anyone but the ones that already know.

What IS RFID? What ISN'T RFID? Why can't you read tags from space? Another topic you can't do without writing an article. Because you actually have to explain the basic radar equation, ALOHA, the difference between near and far field, what is a radio wave etc. And it would be again nice to have some interactive demos that let you fiddle around with tag size, distance, interrogator power and the like so you get a gut feel for why you can't read a credit card from two blocks away.

Does the universe rotate? Why do I care? What difference does it make if it does or doesn't? What can I do if it rotates that I can't if it doesn't? Does space have negative or positive curvature, or is it flat? Why do I care? Hm. Probably have to leave that alone. But there are similar topics you could address, like what is thermite, really? Is there more than one type? Why did Jesse Ventura cut away and not come back to his thermite paint on a girder scene?
edit on 3-12-2016 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 04:16 AM
link   

All I hear is you struggle to boil it down. Make it accessible. It doesn't have to be the one thread. Break it up. Feed it in bits. You still would get to your main point in a while.
Would add quality too. I would be greatful. Just because I don't know, doesn't mean I don't want to learn.
Maybe your first thread could be an introduction, what the end goal in your lesson is, how you'll attempt to help us understand it and then see what the readers say?
So on thread two you know where the majority is, information stand point wise. You don't have to explain every detail. They can talk about it. A short recap of the basics maybe and so on. Each step at a time.
Takes the pressure away.

Just saying that because even if it wouldn't add to the discussion, it's existence, to know it is recorded you said that, is maybe a good thing someday. Shared wisdom. Geek reports. Nerds stacks. However you want to call it. To me the equivalent of magic, probably but surely worth to know. In a time capsule. The internet never forgets. So maybe someone reading what you wrote in a few years, will get an epiphany from it, because some wording of your thoughts you once did in a forum. Would be cool right?

edit on 3-12-2016 by Peeple because: Auto

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 04:23 AM
link   

The universe rotating and what that could possibly mean is right up my alley. But yeah probably leave that one alone. Although its applicable to my personal interests and understanding of things. Like if the univetse is rotating. Hell just moving. It would be an accellerated reference frame against the background vacua. Might one day help explain rest mass and inertial mass and if theres really any difference between the two besides degrees of how accellerated above the norm a reference frame and the matter therin are going. An einstien /hopf-ish sorta ponderibg.

(post by cosmokatt7 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Advantage

...Yes..... It really would be nice to have a Forum specifically for Non Fiction Articles...

...TinWiki "crashed" some time ago....

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 08:20 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 3 2016 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Umm...

Wow guys.

Really disappointing here by a certain bunch of you that should know better but to talk to members like this.

The short stories forum can be used for non fiction as well, it simply needs to be tagged in the title. Member Art in BTS can also be used, but I don't mind the official writing forums being used for this purpose.

Thread closed, with again, disappointment.

~Tenth

top topics

join