It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michigan presidential recount could cost taxpayers nearly $1M

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueAjah

Is she asking for donations or time?

The audacity of that woman!

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 08:29 PM
link   
This is interesting:

And costs incurred by counties over the $125 per precinct will be the responsibility of the counties. State Rep. Lisa Lyons, R-Alto, has introduced a bill that would require candidates who request a recount and who have received less than 5% of the vote to pay the entire bill for the recount. The bill has language to make it retroactive so that Stein would have to pick up the entire cost of the recount.

source

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Let's hope!!!
To ask for a recount...and then not take responsibility for paying...well, seems to me that will alienate a lot of people...as well as burden local governments.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

He maybe over stepping his authority in the electoral process I am sure that is some repercussions on what is trying to do and his motivations, also is not prove of voter fraud to do a recount, the request by an individual that doesn't hold any quantitative percentage of the election.

What is next, every election we will allow some moron to have the entire nation recounted because they think is ok to do so and let the tax payers pay for it.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 10:07 PM
link   

I wonder what Stein will do if the total bill for these 3 states exceeds the donations she collected.

posted on Dec, 5 2016 @ 10:11 PM
link   

I am sure that the Clinton corruption money laundering foundation will take tap.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 10:59 AM
link   
UPDATES

Not sure what a state court can do to appeal a federal ruling, buit:
Michigan Court of Appeals to hear AG, Trump cases for stopping recount

The Michigan Court of Appeals on Tuesday will hold a hearing for lawsuits brought by Attorney General Bill Schuette and President-elect Donald Trump seeking to stop a statewide vote recount, according to court filings.

Schuette's statement here
www.upmatters.com...

The Republican Party is headed to the US 6th Circuit, a federal court

The Michigan Republican Party said Monday that it has appealing to the 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals a federal judge's decision ordering state election officials to begin recounting 4.8 million ballots cast in the 2016 presidential election.
~~~
The appeal will focus on arguments for abstention of the federal court, as well as laches, arguing that Jill Stein waited until the last possible moment to file a petition for recount, and thus, cannot ask the court to enjoin.

patch.com...

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Are votes that are not recounted still part of the total votes for the state....according to the Detroit News...the original numbers stnad.
www.freep.com...

Turns out, Michigan has an unusual state law that disallows the recount of a given ballot bag's contents if there are any of several irregularities -- including whether the bag's seal affixed on election night is broken, or if the numerical count of ballots shown on the bag fails to match the figure listed in an election-night ledger called a poll book, the state official Williams explained to Lutz.

The incidence of such problems is generally low and the long-standing law is in place as a "cautionary measure" that prevents would-be maldoers from stuffing ballot bags on election night, she said.

www.macombdaily.com...
www.lansingstatejournal.com...

HAlf of Detroit votes may not be eligble to recount
www.detroitnews.com...

According to state law, precincts whose poll books don’t match with ballots can’t be recounted. If that happens, original election results stand.

edit on Tue Dec 6 2016 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 06:19 PM
link   

How interesting. I heard of the "ripped" bags. I wonder how many more counties we will see this in over the coming days.

Good info DToM!

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 06:20 PM
link   

So basically, a big waste of time and money?

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 06:22 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Was there any doubt that this was a dog and pony show from the start? 10k vote difference so I've read. I wonder at what price those can be willed into fruition.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Yeah, when I first heard about the broken bags....par of my brain went....did they drop them on purpose??

So, I looked at Macomb....another county with a lot of people and it seems some of the discrepancy's are expected and normal...they cite crappy handwriting, as an example.

Waste of time and money....and too much of it the citizens fo MI money.

Here's OAkland County.
I'd say most of the population in Michigand is in Wayne, Oakland, Macomb and Washtenaw counties.
www.theoaklandpress.com...
www.freep.com...

In Oakland County alone, it's at least 17.

“If it doesn’t match, and there’s no explanation why it doesn’t match, then that precinct would not be counted," Joe Rozell, director of elections, told the Free Press today. "The election night results – the certified results – would stand. That just means that we can’t recount those ballots. They are resealed in the container.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 06:48 PM
link   
This... is insane...

Despite dueling court rulings, Michigan recount keeps going

A federal appeals court upheld the Michigan recount that's been under way since Monday in an opinion issued late Tuesday, just moments before a state appeals court issued an opinion saying the recount should never have been allowed to begin.

Stein is causing chaos.

In affirming the judge's order, the 6th Circuit said: "If subsequently, the Michigan courts determine the ... recount is improper under Michigan state law for any reason, we expect the district court to entertain any properly filed motions to dissolve or modify this order in this case."

Minutes after the 6th Circuit issued that opinion, the Michigan Court of Appeals released a 3-0 opinion, following a hearing Tuesday afternoon, saying the state Board of Canvassers never should have allowed the recount to proceed because Green Party candidate Jill Stein -- who received just over 1% of the vote -- did not qualify as an "aggrieved candidate" under state law.

The Michigan Republican Party will be filing a motion tonight with Judge Goldsmith to dissolve his order, said Sarah Anderson, spokeswoman for the party.

“Our understanding is that 6th circuit upheld Judge Goldsmith’s ruling, but also said that ... if Michigan courts determine that the recount is improper that he should entertain a properly filed motion to dissolve the order,” she said. “We’ll be making that motion and expect that recount will be stopped.”

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 06:49 PM
link   

So the biggest "for Clinton" counties are the ones where the votes will not be getting counted.

This is getting so very weird.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Does anyone know what in the hell they are doing???

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Fed says yes, MI says no.
abcnews.go.com...

Wow.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

The Fed appeals court only upheld the original ruling to start the recount...

The 6th Circuit panel said it did "not decide that there is a freestanding constitutional right to a recount or that plaintiffs validly invoked a recount under Michigan law, or that plaintiffs should necessarily prevail on the merits of this suit.

The panel said it only found that Stein and a Michigan voter would have suffered "irreparable harm" if the recount was not started quickly enough to get it completed before a Dec. 13 fedearl deadline.

www.freep.com...

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Arizonaguy

Ah good, I see it. Thanks for clarifying.

From my previous source.

The appeals court says it's not deciding the merits of the recount, only the timing and how it relates to voting rights under the U.S. Constitution. Separately, the recount is being opposed by the Trump campaign in Michigan state court.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 09:50 PM
link   

It's complicated, I guess.

From what I understand, elections are state issues.
Voting is a federal thing.
Stein rightly went to State Court to get her recount....when it didn't go here way...the two day wait for appeals from the Elections Canvassers last Saturday.....she went to Federal Court on a due process/voting rights thing.

TBH, the federal court should butt out.
But, in 2000...the federal and state courts played tennis with the election all the way to the end.
www.law.ufl.edu...

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 09:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI

So the biggest "for Clinton" counties are the ones where the votes will not be getting counted.

This is getting so very weird.

Well, that is not exactly the case.

Michigan is certified...and the Governor has signed off on the results.
So, that vote stands as official for all precincts.
I think what happens is those precincts cannot be recounted....so unless the recount elsewhere changes the result to Clinton.....it doesn't really matter....the certified results will be official for the Electoral College.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join