It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Michigan presidential recount could cost taxpayers nearly $1M

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

I think this recount may get shut down within the week. Michigan appeals court said Stein holds no ground to ask for one.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

We'll see what the next round will show.

Then, there is that loon from California....Lutz...who is some activist from California complaining about the precincts that cannot be recounted.....we could see shenanigans from him or his group-.

posted on Dec, 6 2016 @ 10:26 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Theoretically, this could span on into the next presidency. I hope MI courts throw this nonsense out. As long as they are given an ear, they feel they are gaining traction.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 08:44 AM
link   
It looks like Stein is going to be getting another big bill.

LANSING, Mich. (AP) — Green Party presidential candidate Jill Stein could be forced to pay the entire cost of Michigan’s statewide recount under a bill advancing in the state Legislature.

The Republican-controlled House Elections Committee approved the legislation Tuesday. It would require any candidate who loses by more than 5 percentage points to pay 100 percent of the estimated cost of the recount.

Those candidates now pay $125 per precinct, which is Stein’s case is nearly $1 million. Republican Secretary of State Ruth Johnson has said the recount may cost $5 million.

The bill would retroactively apply to Stein. Democrats voting against the measure questioned the constitutionality of changing the rules “in the middle of the game.”

The sponsor, Republican state Rep. Lisa Posthumus Lyons, says taxpayers shouldn’t foot the bill for “frivolous” recounts.

fox17online.com...

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 08:46 AM
link   

The state Board of Canvassers is beginning to gather this morning for a 9:30 a.m. hearing. They’re expected to discuss a state Court of Appeals ruling issued Tuesday night that said they should never have let the recount of presidential ballots cast in Michigan go forward.
Goldsmith has scheduled a 10:30 a.m. hearing today to take up motions filed late last night by the Michigan Republican Party and Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette, to stop the recount in light of the state Court of Appeals ruling.

Board of Canvassers to meet on Michigan presidential recount
edit on 12/7/16 by BlueAjah because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Stein really has no case other than to scam money. It's nor working in Wisconsin and won't on PA. Lets get going and put this behind.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: BlueAjah
As much as I hate this stupid recount, trying to retroactively bill Stein is just vindictive. Apparently, the fee is set by Michigan's election law. That's stupid, but that's the current law.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 10:14 AM
link   
This has a live feed of the MI Federal hearing.
It's been interesting.
Someone is tweeting updates at this link which is helpful if you can't watch the live feed.

www.freep.com...

ETA: btw - so far this judge looks like a Clinton sympathizer

edit on 12/7/16 by BlueAjah because: eta

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Is interesting they are challenging the grievance part of the issue, like if she could get 20% of the votes with a recount when she have less than 1% now.

It makes not freaking sense.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Yes he is comparing apples and oranges and the percentages.

He is very much a Hillary suck up.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: AndyFromMichigan
As much as I hate this stupid recount, trying to retroactively bill Stein is just vindictive.

And billing the citizens is disgusting, unfair and wrong.
Why should they pay for her agenda???

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Board of Canvassers tells SOS to stop recount if judge rules

LANSING — The state Board of Canvassers voted 3-1 to tell the state's director of elections to stop a recount of presidential ballots if a U.S. District Judge rules that the recount should stop.

As I understand it, this decision had to be official because even if the federal judge says they can stop the recount, and even though the state judge said that Stein should never have started the recount, the Board of Canvassers would still have the final say regarding continuing or stopping the recount.

So now, if the federal judge says they can stop, then it will be stopped.

The federal judge is taking a long time to respond. It's not clear what he will do. From his statements today, which were bizarre, he seems like a Clinton supporter.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 04:13 PM
link   

More indications that this was never really about Stein.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Meanwhile the Wisconsin recount is progressing and is now 70% complete. Clinton has picked up 82 votes of 22,000 she needs to change the result.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth
So, it's going well then. Happen to know if Trump gain/loss any?

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Federal judge halts Michigan election recount

After a lawyer urged him not to stick taxpayers with a $5 million recount tab, a federal judge on Wednesday dissolved his earlier decision and halted the hand-recount of 4.8 million ballots that were cast for president in Michigan.

The controversial issue, however, is far from over as an appeal will follow.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Good gawd your quick!!

But attorneys for Stein argued the recount must continue, stressing that the recount thus far has shown numerous voting problems across the state, particularly in Detroit, where more than half of the precincts' ballots cannot be recounted due to problems that have not been disclosed.

This is their grounds for an appeal. My tinfoil antenna says that the Dems, in anticipation of a recount, may have slit their own throats.

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Judge order suspends Michigan recount

Detroit — A federal judge Wednesday suspended a recount of the Nov. 8 presidential election that started three days ago and has yet to reveal fraud or significantly alter the results.

Woohoo! Now if they can stop all of the other shanigans!

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

It is indeed interesting that Detroit had so many issues.
Clinton had 94.95% of the votes in the City of Detroit. source

I think the recount should be stopped because the taxpayers should not need to pay for it, and because as stated in court, a recount is intended to change the outcome of a close election, it is not intended to be an audit.
It does seem that they need to do some audits of their procedures at some point in Detroit.

I think that one of three things might be going on in Detroit (in no particular order):
1. Their election people are extremely incompetent.
2. The Dems committed fraud during the election, and attempted to cover it up during the recount by damaging containers, etc. so they would not be recount thus exposing them.
3. Dems tried to cheat during the recount by adding more votes for Clinton or removing Trump votes, but did not know about the protections in place.

edit on 12/7/16 by BlueAjah because: grammar

posted on Dec, 7 2016 @ 07:55 PM
link   

I was thinking the same.

Audit does not equal recount. Perhaps Stein should get out in front of this and head up that campaign and save herself some face.

To me, if she doesn't, I will see this as her shilling in some form for HRC and/or the Dem party.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join