It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OOps ‘Hamilton’ Casting Call For ‘Non-White’ Performers/May have violated the Law..???

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555
a reply to: reldra

Have you ever verbally tried to shame or promoted booing a paying member of your audience? If so, how is that not bigotry and discrimination on the part of the business? Why defend that as being OK?

I thought it was wrong when a bakery refused a Gay couple even though I defended their right to do so, this is the same. It was their right, but it was also very wrong to do. Same thing exactly in my mind.

No. Hamilton has a 'big voice'. They knew it would be publicized. they took their shot. The person who plays Aaron Burr made his point, was nice to Pence and told people in the audience not to boo.

No one was refused anything here.

Apples and oranges about the bakery.

This thread is a news story from MARCH. The play has hired white actors. The original casting call was to fill the vision of the writer and director.
edit on 19-11-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 04:31 PM
link   

lol. I get to thinking of that scene from "Master of None" when Dev does not want to do the accent.

Aziz is hilarious.

+4 more 
posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Is it apples and oranges?

He was singled out, he was booed, and was insulted by the performers who are paid to do a certain thing that they didn't do. What they did do was call him in a cowardly manner a racist, homo phobe, ant women, against kids and their parents.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Have you ever verbally tried to shame or promoted booing a paying member of your audience?

The actual speech.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

He was singled out, he was booed, and was insulted by the performers who are paid to do a certain thing that they didn't do. What they did do was call him in a cowardly manner a racist, homo phobe, ant women, against kids and their parents.

He had cheers and boos by the audience. The cast did no such thing.

+12 more 
posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

originally posted by: watchitburn

How about they just cast the best performers and the mix of skin tone will be what it will be?

Yes, let's fill 'The Color Purple' or 'A raisin in the Sun' with all white actors. LOL

Try to make some sense.
you just said that the rationale for not hiring White actors was to replace actors who were normally white. So what's wrong with doing it the other way?

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: eNumbra

Have you ever verbally tried to shame or promoted booing a paying member of your audience?

The actual speech.

That seemed very nice to me.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Are you knowingly lying, or have you simply not watched the actual video?

originally posted by: eNumbra

The actual speech.

That seemed very nice to me.

One of the most reasonable and level-headed speeches given in the past few months; nothing spectacular, but it takes a lot of spin to make something negative out of it.

But hey, Trump is the biggest snowflake of all of them, so that wasn't unexpected.
edit on 11/19/2016 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 04:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk

How about they just cast the best performers and the mix of skin tone will be what it will be?

Yes, let's fill 'The Color Purple' or 'A raisin in the Sun' with all white actors. LOL

Try to make some sense.
you just said that the rationale for not hiring White actors was to replace actors who were normally white. So what's wrong with doing it the other way?

Nothing. If a director comes up with an idea for an all white 'The Color Purple' cast, with an idea behind it, sure, why not?

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   
You are the one sounding racist here. You are assuming a whole bunch of truth no in evidence. Here is a scenario that you in your excitement over other peoples 'racism' may have failed to take into account. How about this?

They were being nice. Knowing that 98% of the cast opportunities in the show were for 'non'white roles and possibly any 'white roles' were already filled, maybe they were being kind to any out of work actors by letting them know that there were no roles left for 'white' actors. Save em from disappointment and wasting their time in hoping.

I mean, I don't know, but that makes as much sense as the finger pointing you are engaging in here.

edit on 30America/ChicagoSat, 19 Nov 2016 16:42:46 -0600Sat, 19 Nov 2016 16:42:46 -060016112016-11-19T16:42:46-06:00400000042 by TerryMcGuire because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry

lol. I get to thinking of that scene from "Master of None" when Dev does not want to do the accent.

Aziz is hilarious.

I do like that discussion.

+8 more 
posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 04:43 PM
link   

In both cases a customer was treated badly due to bigotry against the customer. The key here is customer. Hating people with differing political beliefs is just as much hate as hating someone for their ethnicity or religious beliefs. Same kind of bigoted people.

I disagree, it was a very stupid thing to do.

The idea of limiting the roles to non-whites is telling, even if it's been settled. Changing their mind later to comply with the law does not change the fact those in charge were bigots up front IMO. Their hate did not go away, they just got caught at it.

No white conservatives around here, they have to go to the theater down the street. They should know their place and sit in the back of the bus. If you do come into our place, we will treat you like dirt.

I did not vote for Trump by the way, but it's this oh so obvious double standard that gets under my skin. To carry that to paying customers and treat them badly is so wrong, you can't defend it without coming out looking bad also IMO.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

Comedians do it all the time.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Who booed a paying member of the audience? Are you talking about the Pence booing episode? The only thing I found on that incident was that some of the AUDIENCE booed Pence, not members of the crew. Do you have information otherwise?

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   

In both cases a customer was treated badly due to bigotry against the customer. The key here is customer. Hating people with differing political beliefs is just as much hate as hating someone for their ethnicity or religious beliefs. Same kind of bigoted people.

I disagree, it was a very stupid thing to do.

The idea of limiting the roles to non-whites is telling, even if it's been settled. Changing their mind later to comply with the law does not change the fact those in charge were bigots up front IMO. Their hate did not go away, they just got caught at it.

No white conservatives around here, they have to go to the theater down the street. They should know their place and sit in the back of the bus. If you do come into our place, we will treat you like dirt.

I did not vote for Trump by the way, but it's this oh so obvious double standard that gets under my skin. To carry that to paying customers and treat them badly is so wrong, you can't defend it without coming out looking bad also IMO.

The customer was not treated badly by the seller, here. They were treated graciously.

Telling of what?

They did not change their mind later, the complaining party LOST.There were later casting calls where the characters were to be of any race.

You have a lack of understanding for the casting of plays. PERIOD.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 04:47 PM
link   

The idea of limiting the roles to non-whites is telling, [...]

Hamilton: Wiki Current Broadway Cast > Rory O'Malley

No whites? No facts.
edit on 11/19/2016 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Try to make some sense.

But wait isn't that exactly what you are trying to defend on their behalf? Guess it's do as we say not as we do huh?

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD

Try to make some sense.

But wait isn't that exactly what you are trying to defend on their behalf? Guess it's do as we say not as we do huh?

NO. Some people cannot seem to follow. The idea of this play had diverse races in playing historical figures that would normally be white.

I have stated that plays such as 'A raisin in the Sun' are normally Black characters. I also stated that if a director or screen writer came up with an idea whereas white people playing those characters would make a statement or complete their vision, I would be fine with that too.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Besides, this is Broadway! We're talking Union Actors. If there was anything weird going on in the casting the Union would be on it like "white on rice"! (Pun intended)

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

8 stars and based on no facts. You did watch the video of the speech, right?

Sigh.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join