It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OOps ‘Hamilton’ Casting Call For ‘Non-White’ Performers/May have violated the Law..???

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: reldra
Wow,...o.k. look I'LL just say it ..I use to work in wardrobe and I know exactly how "liberal".. Liberals are..
I got to listen to them complain to me about each other and back stab each other every day ..so please give me a break with the Kumbaya please.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: SaloonSal
Wow,...o.k. look I'LL just say it ..I use to work in wardrobe and I know exactly how "liberal".. Liberals are..
I got to listen to them complain to me about each other and back stab each other every day ..so please give me a break with the Kumbaya please.

Did I say kumbaya? And how is your overhearing gossip relevant?

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Accusing him and portraying him as a scary racist homophobic monster who is going to magically take away everybody's unalienable constitutional rights if they are not white and heterosexual is being "nice"?

Delusional.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 05:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deny Arrogance

Accusing him and portraying him as a scary racist homophobic monster who is going to magically take away everybody's unalienable constitutional rights if they are not white and heterosexual is being "nice"?

Delusional.

That is not exactly what happened. But go ahead and spin.

#1 play on Broadway. The audience appreciated the speech.

Such whining!
edit on 19-11-2016 by reldra because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

Think about it for a while...I'm sure it'll come to you

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 05:30 PM
link   
It's ironic that this same strong central government that the cast of Hamilton now so fears was what the historical Hamilton argued in favor of. Maybe they should learn some of the history they portray?

Maybe there is a problem with a central government so strong that its own people fear it this much. I know you on the left felt no fear at all so long as Obama and Democrats held the reigns of power and so long as you felt secure in the knowledge of Queen Hillary's coronation, but now that the worm has turned, instead of indulging in this endless orgy of self-indulgent fear, you might stop and empathize with those of us who have been where you are now for the past eight years?

Do you honestly think that just because you know feel this fear, no one was honestly feeling it before Hillary lost? If so, you are as myopic and self-centered as some say you are. And maybe you should find yourself natural allies with those of us who have been saying for a while that it's time to drain the swamp and shrink the Federal Leviathan, and I am not saying that Trump will definitely do that. But we KNOW Hillary wasn't about to.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Nope.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Nope.

Thank you for proving my point

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

This is about a play. You are taking this really far.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 05:37 PM
link   

This is about a play. You are taking this really far.

Count your posts and get back to me

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 05:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

The audience boo'd. The guy playing Hamilton told them to stop. Pence got up to leave, the actor asked him to wait and made a speech. Pence listened.

As far as the casting calls go, Reldra who apparently has acting experience has tried to explain that different casting calls go out and why and that it doesn't mean it's for the entire cast.

You are choosing to see it in a negative way.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   

BS, and if you refuse to objectively look at what they said, then I don't know what hope you have to find any truth.

No. It was a statement of hope that it is NOT. That Hamilton actor gave more credit to Pence than I ever would. Like a million dollars credit vs. one penny.

A message of hope sounds like this,
We are excited to see what a Trump Pence admin will do to assist the LGBT community develop a strong relationship with America and further move toward a mutual respect even if we disagree with some points of each others views.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 05:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

from the story, (looks like you are choosing to view this in a positive light)

“You cannot advertise showing that you have a preference for one racial group over another,” McLaughlin said. “As an artistic question – sure, he can cast whomever he wants to cast, but he has to give every actor eligible for the role an opportunity to try.”

That is also the policy of Actors Equity, the Broadway union, which says, “…producers agree that auditions for all productions… will be conducted in such a manner as to provide full and fair consideration to actors of all ethnicities.”

link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: Blaine91555

The audience boo'd. The guy playing Hamilton told them to stop. Pence got up to leave, the actor asked him to wait and made a speech. Pence listened.

As far as the casting calls go, Reldra who apparently has acting experience has tried to explain that different casting calls go out and why and that it doesn't mean it's for the entire cast.

You are choosing to see it in a negative way.

What other way is there to see it?

"We are holding a casting call for the character Hamilton in the Broadway play Hamilton those interested please inquire within....

Whites need not apply."

seems pretty cut and dry to me

I would think that just picking the best person for any given part would be more acceptable and skin color should not play any role in that decision.

Edit: And yes I know that those are not the exact words used for the casting call, but it is the end result they wanted nonetheless

edit on 19-11-2016 by Darkphoenix77 because: (no reason given)

link   

OOps ‘Hamilton’ Casting Call For ‘Non-White’ Performers/May have violated the Law???

Well, YEAH! It's called RACIAL DISCRIMINATION.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   
a reply to: seasonal

Also from the story:

But the union general counsel denied that, saying such language was not and would not be approved. And in fact, the audition notice approved by the union welcomes performers of “all ethnicities” to audition, which is posted on the site Backstage.com.

Producer Jeffrey Seller defended the diversity of the “Hamilton” cast and the legality of the “non-white” casting notice.

“I stand by it and believe it to be legal,” he said.

The city Commission on Human Rights said it has not received a complaint about the ad, and would not say if it is investigating.

link

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 05:55 PM
link   

This is in New York, a city that has an ordinance that levies fines on businesses for being discriminatory if they even make the mistake of advertising for "waitresses" instead of "wait staff." So Hamilton really shouldn't legally be able to discriminate in the wording of their ad.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Which they didn't and theater is different than regular businesses.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

This is in New York, a city that has an ordinance that levies fines on businesses for being discriminatory if they even make the mistake of advertising for "waitresses" instead of "wait staff." So Hamilton really shouldn't legally be able to discriminate in the wording of their ad.

Regardless, they weren't found to be in violation. The article in the OP is from March.

Present the law in regard to theaters and casting calls for NYC. You will find why they were not in violation.

posted on Nov, 19 2016 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

BS, and if you refuse to objectively look at what they said, then I don't know what hope you have to find any truth.

No. It was a statement of hope that it is NOT. That Hamilton actor gave more credit to Pence than I ever would. Like a million dollars credit vs. one penny.

A message of hope sounds like this,
We are excited to see what a Trump Pence admin will do to assist the LGBT community develop a strong relationship with America and further move toward a mutual respect even if we disagree with some points of each others views.

Careful now, speech police.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join